Management Accountant - Migration Process

BeckieC

Hi All, My 1st post here so please be kind!

I am a newly qualified Management Accountant (CIMA) and looking to migrate to Australia with my toddler and husband.

As the main visa applicant I'm hoping I can avoid the additional cost of a migration consultant and was hoping you can help.

The process I was going to follow is...

1)Apply to CPA to get membership through their agreement with CIMA - I'm under the understanding that I should not need to complete an additional exam to prove my knowledge?

2)Complete an English language assessment in order to gain the extra points for SkillSelect Application:

Proficient / Superior English - 20/10 pts

Other points are Age 31 - 30pts

Qualification - 15pts

Work Experience 5-7yrs - 10pts

Total - 65 / 75 pts

3) complete medical assessment

4) Submit Skill Select Application

Wait for ITA for visa.

Does this sound like the correct order and have I missed anything?

Is there any other way I can prove superior / proficient English skills and a native English speaker?

Any other advice / guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Becky

I would skip step 1 completely. You have a well regarded UK accountancy qualification, why would you swap it for the inferior of the two Australian accountancy qualifications. Maintaining two accountancy memberships for the rest of your life is an expense nobody really needs. And you definitely do not need to do this for visa purposes.

You would not be doing IELTS for points, you need to do academic IELTS before you can do skills assessment.

Step 3 along with your police checks should be done at the end, upon request.

Thank you Rupert,

so if I'm not applying for membership with CPA do I need to do a skills assessment with them or a similar accounting body? Eg another Exam or do they just look at the documents from CIMA and work experience and assess based on that?

Thank you Rupert,

so if I'm not applying for membership with CPA do I need to do a skills assessment with them or a similar accounting body? Eg another Exam or do they just look at the documents from CIMA and work experience and assess based on that?

Yes you need to do a skills assessment, everybody applying for skilled migration does. You could do to with CPA or one of the others, they don't look at work experience for accountant skills assessment.

Really appreciate your help I was starting to go around in circles with what I needed to do.

Not looking forward to the skills assessment as it's been a couple of years since I have sat an exam. Better get some practice in!

My main concern would be that you've stated you're newly qualified but you're assessing yourself as having 5-7 years work experience. For points purposes work experience would need to be relevant and at the required skill level, in general this would mean post-qualification.

It's fine to go alone, but you need to make sure you thoroughly research all the requirements and be wary of the risk of over claiming on your EOI.

All the best,

My main concern would be that you've stated you're newly qualified but you're assessing yourself as having 5-7 years work experience. For points purposes work experience would need to be relevant and at the required skill level, in general this would mean post-qualification.

It's fine to go alone, but you need to make sure you thoroughly research all the requirements and be wary of the risk of over claiming on your EOI.

All the best,

I am very newly qualified (this month) however I have read posts from a number of accountants that have submitted applications successfully by having their employer provide a letter head document stating that they have been in a role working at the same level for a number of years. Does this sound reasonable?

Can anyone recommend a migration agent who understands the process for accountants? the one I spoke to had not heard of CIMA or knew the difference between management & financial accountant so I was very weary!

Really appreciate your help I was starting to go around in circles with what I needed to do.

Not looking forward to the skills assessment as it's been a couple of years since I have sat an exam. Better get some practice in!

It isn't an exam.

Agree with Adam, I would be looking to try and get your 60 points without work experience. As I understand, pre qualification experience can count for accountants, but it is a grey area and I would not risk it. Go for 20 on IELTS.

It isn't an exam.

Agree with Adam, I would be looking to try and get your 60 points without work experience. As I understand, pre qualification experience can count for accountants, but it is a grey area and I would not risk it. Go for 20 on IELTS.

Ok now I've made myself look like an idiot I think I'll go and do some more research!

Do you think I've got a good chance of getting and ITA with 60pts?

I'll book in for my IELTS Asap

Ok now I've made myself look like an idiot I think I'll go and do some more research!

With 20 points for IELTS, I make it you will have 65 points. Plenty of people get invited with 65.

Not a great job market for management accountants up here at the mo (Brisbane) so I would be careful about where you choose and do some research on the job market in the area

they don't look at work experience for accountant skills assessment.

True for applications relying on a relevant degree, but they do if applicants are relying on a vendor certification.

May I suggest that you do yourself a favour and run your case past a registered migration agent for advice about strategy, even if you do not propose to retain the services of an RMA to manage your case?

I am very newly qualified (this month) however I have read posts from a number of accountants that have submitted applications successfully by having their employer provide a letter head document stating that they have been in a role working at the same level for a number of years. Does this sound reasonable?

Can anyone recommend a migration agent who understands the process for accountants? the one I spoke to had not heard of CIMA or knew the difference between management & financial accountant so I was very weary!

I am a qualified accountant (UK - ICAEW - and Australia - ICAA) and a registered migration agent - you are welcome to contact me off forum (Private Message or email) to discuss.

In the meantime, I agree that CPA Australia is probably the preferred assessing body due to the reciprocal arrangement they have with CIMA.

You'll need to do an Academic IELTS and secure the required score (at least 7's) before you apply to the CPA.

Note that you can then do the easier General IELTS if you need 20 points for English language competency and haven't attained at least 8's in all 4 elements of the Academic IELTS. My hunch is that you will need this higher level of English language competency because of the skilled work experience issue that Adam has mentioned above.

Best regards.

I would skip step 1 completely. You have a well regarded UK accountancy qualification, why would you swap it for the inferior of the two Australian accountancy qualifications. Maintaining two accountancy memberships for the rest of your life is an expense nobody really needs. And you definitely do not need to do this for visa purposes.

You would not be doing IELTS for points, you need to do academic IELTS before you can do skills assessment.

Step 3 along with your police checks should be done at the end, upon request.

Hi BeckieC,

I agree with Rupert for an extent. You don't need to get membership before you move here, however if you are going to live here for good might as well get the CPA membership as its more recognised here in Australia than the CIMA.

Next important point is you also need a skilled employment assessment to claim points for work experience. The trick is they only award points for post qualification work experience. From your earlier post I gathered that you are a recent graduate and if CIMA is the only Accounting qualification (unless you have a previous qualification in Accounting) claiming points for your entire duration of work experience would not be possible.

I got my invite with 60 points, additional 5 would be a luxury.

Hi BeckieC,

I agree with Rupert for an extent. You don't need to get membership before you move here, however if you are going to live here for good might as well get the CPA membership as its more recognised here in Australia than the CIMA.

Next important point is you also need a skilled employment assessment to claim points for work experience. The trick is they only award points for post qualification work experience. From your earlier post I gathered that you are a recent graduate and if CIMA is the only Accounting qualification (unless you have a previous qualification in Accounting) claiming points for your entire duration of work experience would not be possible.

Not correct - skilled work experience claims can be validated without a letter from the assessing body, which in any event is advisory only and isn't binding on the visa case officer.

Best regards.

Hi all,

I would like know the definitive position on whether or not CPA Australia only view post qualification experience as 'relevant experience'. I have also recently been accredited ACMA status by CIMA. There are 2 main parts to gaining accreditation which I am sure Becky is familiar with. The first part, funnily enough, is to pass all the exams, but the 2nd part is to provide CIMA assessors with a Practical Experience Record. This has to include a MINIMUM of 3 years relevant practical experience.

Does anybody know the reason why CPA would only consider post qualification experience?

It appears from this forum that even if your skills assessment is negative you could still lodge an EOI. Presumably the chances of an invitation would be reduced?

I would appreciate advice on this issue.

Thanks

Simon

Hi all,

I would like know the definitive position on whether or not CPA Australia only view post qualification experience as 'relevant experience'. I have also recently been accredited ACMA status by CIMA. There are 2 main parts to gaining accreditation which I am sure Becky is familiar with. The first part, funnily enough, is to pass all the exams, but the 2nd part is to provide CIMA assessors with a Practical Experience Record. This has to include a MINIMUM of 3 years relevant practical experience.

Does anybody know the reason why CPA would only consider post qualification experience?

It appears from this forum that even if your skills assessment is negative you could still lodge an EOI. Presumably the chances of an invitation would be reduced?

I would appreciate advice on this issue.

Thanks

Simon

You do not need work experience for an accounting skills assessment. It is not necessary to get work experience validated by an assessing body and even if you did it does not mean tat DIBP would agree. It is up to DIBP to decide whether your work experience qualifies for points for not, not CPA. There is no way anyone can tell you if your work experience will qualify or not, as we don't know what it is.

I do not know how you gave concluded that a negative skills assessment is acceptable, there would be no point doing it if you didn't need to pass it! A positive skills assessment is essential and there is no chance of an invitation without it, I would be surprised if you could even complete the EOI without it.

Hi BeckieC,

Rupert,

Thanks for your reply. This earlier post suggests that you do not need CPA membership to lodge an EOI. My understanding (although becoming increasingly confused) is that the main reason for applying for a skills assessment through CPA is to gain membership which will then give you a better chance of being invited to lodge a visa application.

So, if you receive a positive skills assessment does that mean that you will be eligible for CPA membership? My understanding is that the two go together, but Alan suggests that you don't need membership.....

Can you advise on the following process that I think I need to go through:

1. IELTS exam (min 7's) - required for accountants

2. Apply for Skills Assessment (my understanding of this is that if you are not successful and do not gain membership from CPA, your process ends here!!)

3. Expression of Interest

4. Hope for invitation to lodge Visa

Your advice is appreciated.

Simon

Rupert,

Thanks for your reply. This earlier post suggests that you do not need CPA membership to lodge an EOI. My understanding (although becoming increasingly confused) is that the main reason for applying for a skills assessment through CPA is to gain membership which will then give you a better chance of being invited to lodge a visa application.

So, if you receive a positive skills assessment does that mean that you will be eligible for CPA membership? My understanding is that the two go together, but Alan suggests that you don't need membership.....

Can you advise on the following process that I think I need to go through:

1. IELTS exam (min 7's) - required for accountants

2. Apply for Skills Assessment (my understanding of this is that if you are not successful and do not gain membership from CPA, your process ends here!!)

3. Expression of Interest

4. Hope for invitation to lodge Visa

Your advice is appreciated.

Simon

CPA membership and a skills assessment are two utterly different things. A skills assessment does not give you CPA membership and a conversely attaining CPA membership is not a skills assessment. They are separate, do not confuse the two concepts.

CPA membership is not required for the visa process. Skills assessment is.

My opinion stated earlier is that I would not even bother getting this vastly inferior qualification for e purpose of job hunting down the line. Australian employers are not stupid and know very well that an accountant qualified in another country will have that country's accountancy qualification. Further a UK one will be well regarded.

Back to the visa process, a skills assessment is required and a positive one at that! Your steps above are fine, noting that it is academic IELTS. Also on point 2 as I mentioned, CPA membership is not relevant either way, this is just about skills assessment.

CPA membership and a skills assessment are two utterly different things. A skills assessment does not give you CPA membership and a conversely attaining CPA membership is not a skills assessment. They are separate, do not confuse the two concepts.

CPA membership is not required for the visa process. Skills assessment is.

My opinion stated earlier is that I would not even bother getting this vastly inferior qualification for e purpose of job hunting down the line. Australian employers are not stupid and know very well that an accountant qualified in another country will have that country's accountancy qualification. Further a UK one will be well regarded.

Back to the visa process, a skills assessment is required and a positive one at that! Your steps above are fine, noting that it is academic IELTS. Also on point 2 as I mentioned, CPA membership is not relevant either way, this is just about skills assessment.

Thanks for clearing that up!!

So,

I could still get a positive skills assessment from CPA or alternative bodies, but without the points being awarded due to not having enough post qualification time (min 3 years - 5 points).

Simon

Archived