Best way to find a sponsored job in Perth

thomas1877

Hi everyone,

I have just returned back to the UK after completing a year in Australia with a working holiday Visa and really enjoyed it but felt it was the right time to come back home.

Now that I've been back home for over a month though, I've decided that Australia is definitely where I want to live and I was wondering if anybody had the experience of finding a sponsored job for Australia whilst living in the UK?

I graduated from university last year with a Honours in journalism and have been offered the opportunity to obtain a 'Regional Sponsored Scheme Visa' for Western Australia through 'SkillSelect' but with that costing $4600, it is not the ideal option for me.

I also have three sets of Aunts and Uncles in the Perth area but am I right in thinking that family sponsorship only refers to parents now?

Anyway if anyone could answer my questions I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas

I can't offer any advice re finding sponsorship whilst you're still in the UK but as a starter, have you checked to see whether your occupation is on the SOL or CSOL lists as it would need to be for sponsorship? I can't remember if journalism is on the list off the top of my head but it's worth you having a look on here if you haven't already done so:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/skilled-occupations-lists.aspx

If you're looking at the 489 visa (Skilled regional visa) and need points from family members, the eligible circle is wider than parents (be warned though, I don't think any visa application will be cheap I'm afraid :cute:):

You can sponsor an eligible relative for this visa if:

• you are at least 18 years of age
  • you live in a designated area of Australia
  • you are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The relative or the relative’s partner you want to sponsor must be your:

• child or stepchild
  • parent or step-parent
  • brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle
  • grandparent or first cousin.

Hi Thomas!

I was in your exact position did my working holiday in oz came back to the uk and began the research on how to get back out there! I made it my mission in life, so I worked my socks off finished my accountancy exams and saved up the money for the visa!! I have now been living in Perth for 6 months and was it worth it....absolutely!!! If you know its definitely for you, you will find a way and I highly recommend applying for a permanent resident visa :)

Good luck!!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Louisella I will look into that, it does look as if any type of Visa will be expensive though so I better get saving!

Alison13 good on you for working hard to get out there, looks as if I may have to follow the same method!

Blossom79 thanks for that info, didn't know that I needed to have a willing employer first before I obtained the Visa.

Hi Thomas

I can't offer any advice re finding sponsorship whilst you're still in the UK but as a starter, have you checked to see whether your occupation is on the SOL or CSOL lists as it would need to be for sponsorship? I can't remember if journalism is on the list off the top of my head but it's worth you having a look on here if you haven't already done so:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/skilled-occupations-lists.aspx

If you're looking at the 489 visa (Skilled regional visa) and need points from family members, the eligible circle is wider than parents (be warned though, I don't think any visa application will be cheap I'm afraid :cute:):

You can sponsor an eligible relative for this visa if:

• you are at least 18 years of age

• you live in a designated area of Australia

• you are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The relative or the relative’s partner you want to sponsor must be your:

• child or stepchild

• parent or step-parent

• brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle

• grandparent or first cousin.

The above post has missed the most important point which is that a basic (and mandatory) requirement for a family sponsored 489 visa is that your occupation MUST be on the SOL. Journalist is NOT on there - it is only on the CSOL so is only eligible for employer and state sponsored visas. 489s and the permanent skilled work visas(189, 190, 186 ENS and 187 RSMS) all cost the same VAC - in fact, a 187 RSMS would be cheaper overall as with your occupation, you would be unlikely to need skills assessment. The only cheaper visa is a temporary 457 employer sponsored visa but if you want to go for a permanent visa after spending time on a 457, you will then be up for the same additional cost as if you started on a permanent visa.

The above post has missed the most important point which is that a basic (and mandatory) requirement for a family sponsored 489 visa is that your occupation MUST be on the SOL. Journalist is NOT on there - it is only on the CSOL so is only eligible for employer and state sponsored visas. 489s and the permanent skilled work visas(189, 190, 186 ENS and 187 RSMS) all cost the same VAC - in fact, a 187 RSMS would be cheaper overall as with your occupation, you would be unlikely to need skills assessment. The only cheaper visa is a temporary 457 employer sponsored visa but if you want to go for a permanent visa after spending time on a 457, you will then be up for the same additional cost as if you started on a permanent visa.

I did put 'as a starter, have you checked to see whether your occupation is on the SOL or CSOL lists as it would need to be for sponsorship? I can't remember if journalism is on the list off the top of my head but it's worth you having a look on here if you haven't already done so '

:wink:

Best of luck with the process OP!

I did put 'as a starter, have you checked to see whether your occupation is on the SOL or CSOL lists as it would need to be for sponsorship? I can't remember if journalism is on the list off the top of my head but it's worth you having a look on here if you haven't already done so '

Ha ha. I was reading that thinking 'no, it hasn't missed it, it's right there at the beginning lol'.

Sorry if I've offended you but I thought it needed to be pointed out that the occupation MUST be on the SOL. If it's only on the CSOL (which is the case), it isn't eligible for a family sponsored 489.

Sorry if I've offended you but I thought it needed to be pointed out that the occupation MUST be on the SOL. If it's only on the CSOL (which is the case), it isn't eligible for a family sponsored 489.

No offence taken at all, no need to apologise but thank you :cute:

Hi,

I would save up book yourself a flight and arrange some interviews with potential employers for when you arrive. WE did that 6 years ago and my husband got a job in the first week of our 3 week holiday although he is an air conditioning engineer so the jobs are plentiful. It's probably easier to secure sponsorship if you are able to meet with the potential employer face to face. Good luck.

Kelly

Hi,

I would save up book yourself a flight and arrange some interviews with potential employers for when you arrive. WE did that 6 years ago and my husband got a job in the first week of our 3 week holiday although he is an air conditioning engineer so the jobs are plentiful. It's probably easier to secure sponsorship if you are able to meet with the potential employer face to face. Good luck.

Kelly

It might have worked in your OH's case, although then he could have probably applied for a skilled migrant visa too. But OP does not appear to have an established career and just has a degree in a subject / occupation that is highly competitive and often people work freelance. So just not sure that he would pull it off .. although it might be a nice holiday. I wouldn't go back too quickly after the WHV though, could be a perception that OP is not a genuine tourist.

• 1 month later...

Yes, in theory. But, if you can't afford a skilled visa, I am not sure you could afford to be a student - international fees are in the thousands. Then you can only work 20 hours per week.

But you also need to ask yourself how feasible your plan is. Why is a employer going to hire and sponsor you when there are plenty of Australian grads unemployed.

Archived