Salary Concerns and rental

Eddie10

Hi All

I am a little concerned, we have just received a 457 visa and I have got sponsorship from my company in Oz (Rentokil)

I have a wife and 2 kids, (1 and 3) My concern here is that I will be on the same money in Oz (90K) that I earn in the UK (48K) and I assume that living will be more expensive in Australia.

We will be renting initially so can someone let me know how much we should spend on renting on my wage in a cheaper suburb of Perth??

My income will be our only income initially.

Many Thanks

A nice three or four bedroom rental, 50 mins to an hour from the city in a good suburb would be around $400 to $450 a week minimum. You can get cheaper, but if you don't want live in a crime ridden suburb then avoid those. Generally the closer to the city you are the more expensive the rental.

Where will you be working? It would be easier to advise you if Perth people knew whereabouts you want to be based - there are lots of us on here in different locations around the city.

As your three year old gets older you will also need to feature in education costs of around $5000 a year unless you go on to obtain PR.

A nice three or four bedroom rental, 50 mins to an hour from the city in a good suburb would be around $400 to $450 a week minimum. You can get cheaper, but if you don't want live in a crime ridden suburb then avoid those. Generally the closer to the city you are the more expensive the rental.

Where will you be working? It would be easier to advise you if Perth people knew whereabouts you want to be based - there are lots of us on here in different locations around the city.

As your three year old gets older you will also need to feature in education costs of around $5000 a year unless you go on to obtain PR.

Hi

I will be field based but my office will be in Belmont. We have looked at homes in the Duncraig area even as far up as Joondulup but are unsure if this is realistic or not. I have been told to not go above $550 a week.

What would you advise?

Hi All

I am a little concerned, we have just received a 457 visa and I have got sponsorship from my company in Oz (Rentokil)

I have a wife and 2 kids, (1 and 3) My concern here is that I will be on the same money in Oz (90K) that I earn in the UK (48K) and I assume that living will be more expensive in Australia.

We will be renting initially so can someone let me know how much we should spend on renting on my wage in a cheaper suburb of Perth??

My income will be our only income initially.

Many Thanks

To be honest, other than housing which can be more expensive here, I find most other things swings and roundabouts. However I would say that £48k in UK would require more like $120k here so I think you should be prepared for a drop in your disposable income. You also lose child benefit etc, at least your kids are too young for school at the moment or you would also have school fees to consider.

Your weekly take home pay would be $1300, it is often said that you should try to spend no more than a third of income on rent or mortgage, you would be close to half if you went for the $550. Any chance of a second income to supplement down the line? Presumably you are not doing this move for financial reasons....

Belmost is pretty central so most places are in reach either north or south than are on the train line. I think you are going to be a bit further out on that salary. You could try Mandurah which is the end of the train line and a nice beach town where you would get a rental for about $450 in a range of the Mandurah suburbs and be walking distance to a beach.

You can live reasonably well on that income. I have been researching this a lot recently due to a possible career change and calculated that is close to what i need

Hi

My salary has not included any bounses afterall a bonus is a bonus. I will get a expenses paid car also so will not require the train. Keep coming with those suburb recommendations though.

At the current rate £48k is $85k (I know its coming down so quickly)

I think we may need to be a little more clever with our money intially....

Also, How long would the commute take from Duncraig to Belmont or Joondulup to Belmont? I hear the roads are not great??

We used to live in Craigie and my OH had to commute to Belmont now and then for work and going down 'the back roads' it still took best part of an hour, however this was before the roadworks on great eastern highway were finished. Now there are lots of lanes and bus lanes it's a lot better but I would allow an hour from Duncraig area.

At the current rate £48k is $85k (I know its coming down so quickly)

I can do the maths. :biggrin:

What I am advising, is dont use the current rate for comparison, this is a very big mistake because the cost of goods and services in Australia does not fluctuate with the AUD:GBP exchange rate. So you are not going to find things cost $1.77 for every £1 in UK, you are going to find things cost at least $2 and probably more for every £1 in UK, on average that is. So you need your salary to be the same multiple or you will feel worse off.

If somebody calculated your package based on your current package and today's exchange rate, then they are screwing with you. You should have been looking at well over $100k to meet your £48k in UK. As it is, you have taken a significant cut and you have to decide if the experience is worth the drop in your living standard from a material point of view.

Agree with Rupert. Do not base living cost on the exchange rate. Perth is the most isolated capital city in the world and things can be expensive - having a car in the package is good as they are expensive. My 10 year old Getz with a fair few miles on the clock would set you back $4k

In general terms people use an exchange rate to calculate the difference at between 2.2 to 2.5. It varies a bit based on lifestyle - we find it closer to 2.5. Some young single mates who go out a lot find it 3+

This is why Rupert said you need about $120k for the same lifestyle as you have now. Also factor in that in a years time your oldest child will be school age. There is a fee for children on a 457 of $5k for the oldest and then $2k for subsequant per year.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to be working in Belmont, there are many suburbs surrounding that would be fine for a rental until you get yourselves sorted. Carlisle, Kewdale, Belmont, Burswood, Rivervale..... all are in very close proximity to Belmont and provide good schools and shopping as well as affordable rentals. Yes they are all older surburbs and not your "Butler on the Beach lifestyle" but would be fine to get you started in your new life until you know exactly where you want to live, and would make getting to work a whole lot easier.

Archived