Burns Beach, Perth

waglio

Bit drastic that.

Not at all.. I've been to the show homes and they want 600/700 thousand just for a house. Then you pay the same again for land. Anyone who thinks a house 40 k out of a city with no public transport, shops etc is worth about 1.5 million has been well and truly sucked in . Remember this is perth, pre boom was the cheapest place in Australia to live, now people think houses are worth 1.5 million plus.

Guest Guest66881

At the same time there are well established houses at and around the $700/800 thousand range, not defending the area but you can find houses of a value even in the 'affluent' areas., affluent being mainly tradies with a mortgage no level headed human would want:laugh:

I don't have any experience of duncraig or woodvale high schools, but I've heard good reports on both. What don't you like about woodvale.

I think its overrated for what it actually is and offers....personal experience of the school was not good either.

At the same time there are well established houses at and around the $700/800 thousand range, not defending the area but you can find houses of a value even in the 'affluent' areas., affluent being mainly tradies with a mortgage no level headed human would want:laugh:

Exactly, just shows you how overheated the housing market is. When it goes bang here it's going to go massive

Guest Guest66881

Depends if your happy with your lot and have managed to pay most of it off if not all i suppose, most places on earth have boom and bust times heres no different really.

Thanks for all the informative comments everyone. Distance from the city and commuter traffic doesn't really bother me too much because i won't be working there.

Would like to know any opinions regarding crime in the area, anyone have any comments?

Thanks for all the informative comments everyone. Distance from the city and commuter traffic doesn't really bother me too much because i won't be working there.

Would like to know any opinions regarding crime in the area, anyone have any comments?

As an area I would say low crime. http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/Statistics/Searchcrimestatistics/tabid/998/Default.aspx take a look here at the suburb and the surrounding suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We came over last October and secured a rental in Burns. My wife loved the clean polished look of the area where as I like to see trees and a big of greenery! It is very subjective. Yes, it is very expensive to buy. Land is pretty much $1000 per sq mtr so a 550 sq plot will cost you $550,000. In Yanchep, land is half the price and the other side of Marmion is cheaper too (but not much). A half descent single storey house will cost 250k + and a two storey some 300k plus. Plots in Iluka are a little cheaper and it is a big more established.

Plot sizes seem to be getting smaller too. We were speaking to our agent last week and she said not to buy for 12 months as the market is destabilising. It may give sterling time to catch up too. Houses in Ocean Reef are generally older. You can pay $700k for something quit hideous and still need to spend $150+ to refurb!

Shops in Currambine are handy and Lakeside in a Joondalup is only 10 min away.

If you will be working in the CBD, the train from Currambine takes 30min and compared to train services back home, you will be pleased. Driving to the city is not really a option. Once you get to the Ocean Reef section, your screwed. Doesn't matter what time you get there either, be it 6:30, 7 or later. Parking in the city is expensive too.

On another note, getting work here is not easy. I hope you have work lined up? You will get the 'need WA' experience line a lot and there is a great deal of protectionism. In my book, that's fair enough, I am an outsider coming in. If you don't see it this way then you will find it hard. We have had countless good Ozzie friends tell us the same. East Coast is slightly more cosmopolitan so a bit easier.....but again, this is not down to experience, just what others tell us. I am an engineer by trade and I have worked as a labourer for 6 months. I have only just secured my first engineering job. My wife, who is a lawyer and practice manager by trade is still unable to get work.

With regards to the economy,.... Well it is going down hill. National debt is at an all time high. Many of us are bracing for some hard hitting decisions come the budget a week on Tuesday.

My response may seem a bit 'glass half empty' haha But in all honesty it is a great place to live but it will cost you financially and emotionally.

Depends if your happy with your lot and have managed toj pay most of it off if not all i suppose, most places on earth have boom and bust times heres no different really.

In some ways, it might be better to take on a big mortgage. If it all goes pear shaped you can always go bankrupt and return to the UK. Whereas if you buy cash, you would lose a lot of money.

Depends what you paid and when, and with what:wink:

Well not really. Your house is worth what it is worth regardless of what you paid. If you sold up and rented, and prices dropped,you would have a lot more money than if you didn't. Vice versa obviously. But whatever happens, hindsight is always 20/20.

Hi

We came over last October and secured a rental in Burns. My wife loved the clean polished look of the area where as I like to see trees and a big of greenery! It is very subjective. Yes, it is very expensive to buy. Land is pretty much $1000 per sq mtr so a 550 sq plot will cost you $550,000. In Yanchep, land is half the price and the other side of Marmion is cheaper too (but not much). A half descent single storey house will cost 250k + and a two storey some 300k plus. Plots in Iluka are a little cheaper and it is a big more established.

Plot sizes seem to be getting smaller too. We were speaking to our agent last week and she said not to buy for 12 months as the market is destabilising. It may give sterling time to catch up too. Houses in Ocean Reef are generally older. You can pay $700k for something quit hideous and still need to spend $150+ to refurb!

Shops in Currambine are handy and Lakeside in a Joondalup is only 10 min away.

If you will be working in the CBD, the train from Currambine takes 30min and compared to train services back home, you will be pleased. Driving to the city is not really a option. Once you get to the Ocean Reef section, your screwed. Doesn't matter what time you get there either, be it 6:30, 7 or later. Parking in the city is expensive too.

On another note, getting work here is not easy. I hope you have work lined up? You will get the 'need WA' experience line a lot and there is a great deal of protectionism. In my book, that's fair enough, I am an outsider coming in. If you don't see it this way then you will find it hard. We have had countless good Ozzie friends tell us the same. East Coast is slightly more cosmopolitan so a bit easier.....but again, this is not down to experience, just what others tell us. I am an engineer by trade and I have worked as a labourer for 6 months. I have only just secured my first engineering job. My wife, who is a lawyer and practice manager by trade is still unable to get work.

With regards to the economy,.... Well it is going down hill. National debt is at an all time high. Many of us are bracing for some hard hitting decisions come the budget a week on Tuesday.

My response may seem a bit 'glass half empty' haha But in all honesty it is a great place to live but it will cost you financially and emotionally.

Good post, a lot of people won't agree with you or want to belive you but it's pretty much spot on...

Burns is nice, nice coastal path, nice beach, nice (overpriced) cafe, playpark...windy though and if you're going that far up, you'd get better coastal value elsewhere like Yanchep, Alkimos, Brighton etc...

Woodvale ain't 'all that' and I wouldn't rate the school either...tidy suburb, granted but overpriced again....

When Burns Beach is windy the whole coast is. Burns is still a lot closer to Joondalup and Perth than Yanchep, Alkimos and Brighton. I think there's a bus service that runs to Joondalup now. I think it's a lovely spot but in danger of being too developed, soon the road through from Ocean Reef will be finished and you won't have to get on Marmion to get there. A lot of houses are going to be built in between Burns and Ocean Reef and they will not be cheap. Some of them will have fantastic views though and I think the extra money you will pay for a view and a decent balcony would be money well spent.

I like Burns Beach. When we first came to live in the area we went to Burns along the coastal path and the cafe that is there now was just a paper shop that server a few coffees and cakes for people in the caravan and camping park at the back. There were a few older properties and not much else. I said to wife if we'd had spare cash to buy an investment property that was where we would have chosen. If you have a car it's only about 10 minutes to get to Joondalup, so all the shopping you need you can get. But back in Burns can feel like a different world. Still feels like a small beachside holiday destination, which is what it still is for people that use the camp site near the cafe.

Lovely clifftop walk or bike ride, gets a bit packed sometimes at the weekends now but a nice place still. Has a nice "villagey" feel to it. Would choose there over Woodvale any time.

• 2 months later...

I used to live in Joondalup just 5 minutes down the road. The transport services in Joondalup are far better than other places I have lived in, it's family friendly, schools and cafés all local, and lakeside shopping centre keeps on growing! The train station there is a direct link to the city within half an hour, and the arena is a big sport complex with gym and pools. Clarkson is not far from there and that is really growing as a suburb, same with Currambine. Currambine also has a butcher that is really popular for uk meats and stuff like black pudding. I don't know what prices are like in burns beach now (I've been living overseas for the last 18months sorting out a de facto visa for my partner!) but it is a lovely area. Places along the direct coastline are always pricey, but the suburbs surrounding it are nice too :) I grew up in that area (6-20yrs old) before moving to Victoria Park, and loved Joondalup from a kids view and am looking to settle there again as an adult now :) in regards to crime in the area, I was never really aware of anything serious. I think some areas around wanneroo had a few problems but not random crime, more like people having problems with people they know, if that makes sense. It's the same as anywhere tho, there's always a few bad eggs. But on a whole, I felt more safe in joondalup and those surrounding areas than anywhere else. It's mainly families there so it's people friendly :) hope that helps a bit :)

Archived