Interesting feedback

jack13

Obviously your all aware of my plans to continue returning to Australia on a 6 months on and 6 months off basis. Its all been met with a lot of criticism but then even those who have advised I continue my studies have criticized that the qualifications may not get me into Australia on a regular basis. So out of interest I just wanted to ask, (with no insults please) what do you suggest? There's also a lot of negativity toward Australia on the board. But what else is there? The UK is somewhere I gave up on long ago, I lived in Greece for years but in no way ever wish to return there on a permanent basis. Australia seems to be the only place I am growing and developing as a person in the way that I want to, nowhere else I don't think could offer me this life?

Now I'm not going to change my mind, I'm just interested to hear what views you all have about that dark hole, life outside of Australia.

I'm just interested to hear what views you all have about that dark hole, life outside of Australia.

You'll never get to be an Australian asking questions like that..................Ausiies are so insular and parochial dontcha know?

Guest guest30085

1) Find another way to return to Oz as the six months tourist visas are not a long term viable plan

2) Stop carrying out jobs for your landlord, it may be classed as working, if customs were to get suspicious, you could face a three year ban.

3) Stop fare dodging on public transport.

4) Stop looking at Australians as though they are a piece of paper with 'you are now a permanent resident of Australia' written on it. People are people not visas.

5) Get some qualifications in something worthwhile

6) Get a job

7) Accept that you occasionally have to shift your a**e if you want anything in life, instead of sitting on it expecting the World to turn around you.

:ssign15:

1) Find another way to return to Oz as the six months tourist visas are not a long term viable plan

Thats what I spend every day of my life thinking about.

2) Stop carrying out jobs for your landlord, it may be classed as working, if customs were to get suspicious, you could face a three year ban.

Iv'e done that once.

3) Stop fare dodging on public transport.

haha No! Well they won't let me work, so how do they expect me to pay haha! I pay sometimes but even locals don't. None of my mates do haha

4) Stop looking at Australians as though they are a piece of paper with 'you are now a permanent resident of Australia' written on it. People are people not visas.

How dare you? Considering most of my friends are Australians, I find that really offensive. I dont undertstand what people dont get about, I dont just want someone for a visa. but I want to live in Australia with an Australian. But I also want to love them. A lot.

5) Get some qualifications in something worthwhile

But going back to England could have long term negative effects on me and my personal growth and development.

6) Get a job

Already got one for six months in England.

7) Accept that you occasionally have to shift your a**e if you want anything in life, instead of sitting on it expecting the World to turn around you.

Its not doing the work thats the issue its being away from Australia thats the issue.

:ssign15:

No that was rude. I dont like your attitude.

Obviously your all aware of my plans to continue returning to Australia on a 6 months on and 6 months off basis. Its all been met with a lot of criticism but then even those who have advised I continue my studies have criticized that the qualifications may not get me into Australia on a regular basis. So out of interest I just wanted to ask, (with no insults please) what do you suggest? There's also a lot of negativity toward Australia on the board. But what else is there? The UK is somewhere I gave up on long ago, I lived in Greece for years but in no way ever wish to return there on a permanent basis. Australia seems to be the only place I am growing and developing as a person in the way that I want to, nowhere else I don't think could offer me this life?

Now I'm not going to change my mind, I'm just interested to hear what views you all have about that dark hole, life outside of Australia.

This conversation has surely been done to death. You won't take any notice of anything anybody says anyway.

Well, we are fortunate to live in a world where if you were born in the lucky bit, you can come and go pretty much as you please. But that's not the same as being able to choose where you want to live permanently. As a permanent resident, you have greater responsibilities to the state, and the state has greater responsibilities to you. That's why both parties have to consider carefully before they commit.

6 months on then 6 months off might work for now. But, if you get caught out then you'll have a tough time getting in again, because you'll flag up on a register when you try to clear customs. Also, you'll start to flag up after you've made multiple visits/entrances. Once you get an exclusion order you're screwed. No entry at all for 3 years (?) then hindered access and increased scrutiny thereafter.

You should read the Lotus Eater by Somerset Maugham.

That three years thing is worrying. But i dont know what I will get caught out doing? Because I am not breaking any laws.

Yes you are. You're entering on a tourist visa but not behaving as a legitimate tourist. You're just maxing out your stay to whatever the visa will allow, then repeating the exercise for the purpose of staying in Oz for as long as possible.

On an internet forum like this, you can thumb your nose and say "Ha! Prove it!". But if you do the same when you get stopped at the airport, they may simply thumb their nose back at you and ask you to prove that you really are here for legitimate reasons of temporary tourism. And they'll have the accumulated transit data to reinforce their point. A visa can be given or taken away at the discretion of the immi office involved, without recourse to law or appeal. You are not a citizen and therefore have no legal rights here.

Try it for as long as it goes. Good luck to you, where's the harm and all that. But technology is stacked against you here. At the very least you will be spending 50% of your time out of Oz. You should contemplate that this portion will change to 100% sooner or later.

You say that going back to the UK to get a qualification would be damaging to your long term well being. I don't know your exact circumstances but surely the opposite is true? For the sake of three years graft in a place you don't enjoy it would mean you would be able to spend the next 60 years plus in Australia off your own back without the risk of being refused entry. That must be a better long term option?

You say that going back to the UK to get a qualification would be damaging to your long term well being. I don't know your exact circumstances but surely the opposite is true? For the sake of three years graft in a place you don't enjoy it would mean you would be able to spend the next 60 years plus in Australia off your own back without the risk of being refused entry. That must be a better long term option?

Yes but no one seems to be able to promise me of this outcome? If it dosen't work I am left with nothing. Three years wasted. My life ruined for most of them and for what?

Yes you are. You're entering on a tourist visa but not behaving as a legitimate tourist. You're just maxing out your stay to whatever the visa will allow, then repeating the exercise for the purpose of staying in Oz for as long as possible.

On an internet forum like this, you can thumb your nose and say "Ha! Prove it!". But if you do the same when you get stopped at the airport, they may simply thumb their nose back at you and ask you to prove that you really are here for legitimate reasons of temporary tourism. And they'll have the accumulated transit data to reinforce their point. A visa can be given or taken away at the discretion of the immi office involved, without recourse to law or appeal. You are not a citizen and therefore have no legal rights here.

Try it for as long as it goes. Good luck to you, where's the harm and all that. But technology is stacked against you here. At the very least you will be spending 50% of your time out of Oz. You should contemplate that this portion will change to 100% sooner or later.

Well I'm not working, so without working I am holidaying. I visit freinds, places of interest. How is that not touring? I leave when I'm told and spend equal amounts of time away and there.

This conversation has surely been done to death. You won't take any notice of anything anybody says anyway.

yer your right. Close the thread, It's just going to take us round in circles. There's no winning here.

I'll get what I want somehow. Its not right but we have to do what we can.

Well I'm not working, so without working I am holidaying. I visit freinds, places of interest. How is that not touring? I leave when I'm told and spend equal amounts of time away and there.

I guess if I was working for immi I'd ask to see your holiday insurance.

I assume you've got no intention of reading the book/short story I recommended. Something to do during one of your self-imposed 6 month exiles, perhaps.

I guess if I was working for immi I'd ask to see your holiday insurance.

I assume you've got no intention of reading the book/short story I recommended. Something to do during one of your self-imposed 6 month exiles, perhaps.

I did Google it. What is the gist/ a short morale/ point of it?

I have holiday insurance. How are my six month exiles self imposed. I am not choosing to be exiled?! I'd rather get exiled for six months from Australia rather than forever lol

I would look at a student visa, that way you can learn some better skills and work legit for 20 hours week during term time and more in holidays if required!:) Must be costly going backwards and forwards every 6 months with no income and no doubt immi will get a bit sussed at some point.

I would look at a student visa, that way you can learn some better skills and work legit for 20 hours week during term time and more in holidays if required!:) Must be costly going backwards and forwards every 6 months with no income and no doubt immi will get a bit sussed at some point.

That sounds good. maybe I could do the student visa, one year and tourist visa another time. Vary it out a bit. I really like your picture. :):biggrin:

Yes but no one seems to be able to promise me of this outcome? If it dosen't work I am left with nothing. Three years wasted. My life ruined for most of them and for what?

You're right, it's a risk. But a calculated one if you choose a subject that is in higher demand in Australia. And weigh that up against the possibility of carrying on as you are.

It's entirely up to you how you go ahead and do what's right for you. But you have to accept that immigration is a contentious issue wherever you are in the world and trying to work the system is going to generate the sort of responses you've had so far. Most people, whether in Australia, UK or wherever welcome skilled immigrants and their families where they've worked hard to bring something to the country. Most of the people here have done what you say you are not willing to risk in order to get here which is what can be a bit annoying.

But like I say, it's entirely your decision which way to go. Whether the way you're currently doing things is right or wrong is only up to immigration to decide, I'd just feel very vulnerable in your current position and unfortunately there isn't a quick fix

That sounds good. maybe I could do the student visa, one year and tourist visa another time. Vary it out a bit. I really like your picture. :):biggrin:

You will at some point get flagged up doing this six months in six months out. Regardless of whether you are sticking to visa conditions or not it looks suss and that's all immi needs really/ Then if they decide it's all fishy they will refuse entry and possibly an exclusion. If Australia is where you want to be you need to do the work for qualifications that will get you in like most people do. As for you saying nobody is promising you if you do sacrifice 3 years to get a qualification you'll get in sorry there's no guarantees in life. Life is just they way it is unless you help yourself to change it. No bagging or digging at you intended.

Archived