Bengals. What happens when you can't prove its 5 generations removed from the Asian Leopard cat

bengalinoz

Hi All,

Moving to Australia soon and need to take my cat. Problem is I've just read you need to prove a Bengal is at least 5 generations removed from the Asian Leopard cat. But what happens if you just bought it off a random person who doesn't have any Pedigree certificates? How can it be proved otherwise?

Really stressing about this, I don't think I could bare not taking my cat.

Maybe I am completely wrong - but if your cat does not have a Pedigree doesn't it mean that it is a mixed-breed/domestic breed and not a bengal?

Hi All,

Moving to Australia soon and need to take my cat. Problem is I've just read you need to prove a Bengal is at least 5 generations removed from the Asian Leopord cat. But what happens if you just bought it off a random person who doesn't have any Pedigree certificates? How can it be proved otherwise?

Really stressing about this, I don't think I could bare not taking my cat.

Maybe I am completely wrong - but if your cat does not have a Pedigree doesn't it mean that it is a mixed-breed/domestic breed and not a bengal?

That's what i would have said - put breed as domestic short-hair or long-hair and it wouldn't be an issue I'd have thought

I'd think if it looks like a Bengal (they are a very distinctive breed) it would be flagged up in quarantine or even before shipping by someone. Then who knows what problems could arise.

OP - Talk to your vet and Bob at Pet Air about this. Without a pedigree you may well be having to fall back on DNA if it's an acceptable and viable thing to submit.

Guest The Pom Queen

Send me a photo and I can tell you if its F1 - F5. As others have said I would mark it as a cross tabby at the end of the day you aren't lying as the breed is a cross.

Guest The Pom Queen
DNA test would prove it

Impossible without the DNA from ALC's all it would show is whether they match with other bengals on the databases or maybe the last cross domestic used which could be a BSH or Mau or Moggy

Impossible without the DNA from ALC's all it would show is whether they match with other bengals on the databases or maybe the last cross domestic used which could be a BSH or Mau or Moggy

Didn't know you had these beautiful animals Kate...I have heard they are as bad as having a springer spaniel puppy...:eek:

Thanks all, and thanks Bob. I've been doing some research into a DNA test and as the Pom Queen has said, with current DNA sequencing techniques its impossible to tell how many generations removed an animal is to a wild breed, so there is no way I can prove it, but I guess conversely there is no way Australian Quarantine can disprove it either. So I really don't think I should lie on the form and will put down "Bengal Cross" as if they did a DNA test they would be able to tell there's at least a bit of Bengal. But yeah you can definitely see my cat is a cross as he's very small, doesn't have any wild features and doesn't even have the leopard spot colouration, but more of a stripy coat.

Anyway I just hope they're going to accept him. Wish me luck.

• 4 years later...

Hi bengalinoz - not sure whether you'll be seeing this now after 4 years, but how did it go with the immigration and your bengal ? I'm actually in the same exact situation and would like to know. Mine is very obviously a bengal - he has leopard markings, but we bought him off of a random stranger.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 06/11/2018 at 19:25, Cindy said:

Hi bengalinoz - not sure whether you'll be seeing this now after 4 years, but how did it go with the immigration and your bengal ? I'm actually in the same exact situation and would like to know. Mine is very obviously a bengal - he has leopard markings, but we bought him off of a random stranger.

Hi @Cindy the majority of the feline registry board stopped calling them F2, F3, F4 a few years back. This was after the governments started banning the bengals. In fact since this post bengals were in fact banned from coming in to Australia full stop but this has now been lifted.

E3FA28D6-F18B-4478-97E7-934856BF9D52.jpeg

Guest The Pom Queen

Just to add there aren’t many of what use to be called F1, F2, F3’s around not without a high price tag so I wouldn’t worry. I would get a letter from your vet stating that your bengal is a domestic cat. 

• 1 month later...

We have 3 bengals here in Brisbane. Couple of points...

There is also a legal requirement in UK that bengals must be F5. We know somebody with an F1 as a pet and they are required to have a kill plan by UK law.

One of our boys is a marble Bengal and unknown past other than bred in Toowoomba and ended up in rescue. We believe he maybe F5 but maybe not?

We have a show winning male snow Bengal who is definitely F5 and a very pretty female traditional rosette F5 Bengal. A mad household and all rescue.

Always declare your cats as house cats and ensure they remain house cats....please.

• 3 months later...

Looking for a bit of advice - has anyone on here had any luck importing their Bengal into Australia when they've had little information actually available on its background?

We bought our wee chap as a tiny kitten 2 years ago with a signed statement from the breeder demonstrating his non-registered family tree. It clearly goes back 5 generations, but with only names of the sires/dams, no ID or registration numbers for any of these to actually prove what they are.

He's fully neutered, vaccinations up-to-date, and purely a house cat (not ever really been outdoors and no plans to). He is clearly very domesticated, and no hint of a wildcat in him at all really, besides having a fair amount of energy and very chatty!

I've been advised that he will need to be registered before the Australian Government will consider his application, but I don't understand how to go about this 2 years down the line. The breeder was unable to provide further details on his family tree (no registration/ID details for the previous generations) so no real way to prove F5.

Any solutions out there? We're running out of options in terms of leaving him behind due to family being allergic, and we can't imagine having to rehome the little guy (we're family!)... Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Russell

Hi Russell

Have you contacted the import department direct? They will need the pedigree forms, pictures of front and side of your cat and an explanation like you have put here. You often get more traction as an owner than a pet shipper.

Here is the email address imports@agriculture.gov.au

That would be a next step.

Let us all know how you get on as it will help people to know.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/04/2014 at 11:57, BobPetairUK said:

Good advice here. You need to sign a declaration to the truest of your opinion that your cat is 5 generations away from a wild cat - which it almost certainly is

Hello. it is possible to be done that way? signing a declaration and maybe getting a vet to sign? thanks.

Guest The Pom Queen
20 hours ago, FloraDe said:

Hello. it is possible to be done that way? signing a declaration and maybe getting a vet to sign? thanks.

Hi @FloraDe I am a bengal Breeder in Australia and was in the UK for many years. Firstly, is your cat a bengal? Is it coming from the UK? Is it a pedigree? And if so, do you have GCCF paperwork? If the answer is yes then you will need a certified pedigree to prove that your bengal is 5 generations away from the ALC.

So firstly, get all your proof together and send it to Alex at Exotic.species@environment.gov.au  

If he agrees that your cat is indeed a bengal and not an exotic hybrid he will allow you to apply for an import permit and send you an email confirming this and he will notify imports. You will then email imports notifying them of your intent to apply.
Now, I’m saying this but they were going to change the process and there were talks of them banning imports of bengals again full stop . 

‘If you need any further advice please don’t hesitate to ask away. 

If your cat is not a bengal and just a cross personally I would just put tabby cross, unless you are 100% sure of parentage. I know people who get told they have a bengal cross and the majority just have a domestic shorthair tabby.