Being served food you've never had before

ali

I love the aussie way of taking your own stuff to barbies and something to share (although hubby thinks it's tight and if you're having a barbie you should provide for your guests) and have tried some 'new things'

So, I do wonder if you've been out - barbie/dinner etc., and had or been served/offered something you'd never tried before.

I know in Brissy hubby tried Moreton Bay Bugs and loved them (I wouldn't order them 'cos it said Bug and I didn't know what they were- thought I'd get something creepy on my plate). The other day someone made a 'salad' and it was cubed water melon, cubed feta cheese and thin slices of red onion all mixed up together, I'd have never put these things together but it was delicious - so Mrs. B - this is probably what will come in dish when I return it to you.

Ali

Ali them moreton bay bugs arent bad ,they look like a deformed crab,lol! when we came out for wnted down under ,they made me buy some,prep them(thankgod for my yrs on the fishmarket) and cook them on the BBQ,,kids werent too keen and it was bland but not bad,,try em you never know ,chop them in half put some garlic or herbs on and bang em on the bbq!

Cal x

Guest Edinburger

I had tripe for the first time(ish) yesterday. We went for Yum Cha with friends from home (who are of Chinese descent) and they ordered all this cool stuff we don't usually get. One of the dishes was tripe and it was damn good. I've had pancreas and oesophegus before but never stomach, so that was a first. It has a slightly odd, but pleasing, rough texture and a pretty mild flavour. Not something I'll add to the weekly butcher list but I'm sure I'll have it again.

Guest Edinburger

I think it's one of those things, like liver, that is stunning when cooked properly and inedible when cooked poorly. It was pretty good. Not enough of it's own flavour to be deemed great or delicious or anything but not bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nancyq12

That is sooo true ali, that is what I like about Australia the best too!

Haven't tried those Morton Bay Bugs - what a funny name!!

Archived