On the brink of the largest war since 1945

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

This is what media outlets are reporting today. Do you think we will leave Russia to get on with it or will we all get dragged in to this.

A senior military academic is warning Europe is staring down the barrel of its biggest war since 1945. And it could start in days, as Russian forces mass on the border with Ukraine — apparently poised to invade.

The commander of NATO forces in Europe visited the White House overnight to voice his alarm at Moscow’s massive military build-up facing eastern Ukraine — on the other side of the embattled country to the already-annexed Crimean peninsula.

Many other military and political voices are suddenly expressing the same fears.

“By the end of the weekend, Europe’s biggest war since 1945 will have begun or Putin will have started to send the troops on the border home,” declared Professor of the Naval War College at Boston University, John Schindler.

And he is not the only academic voicing this concern.

The troops are reportedly not average Russian conscripts. New intelligence reveals the mechanised infantry units and their tanks to be among the best and most highly trained the Russian Federation has — diverted from their Moscow barracks to their tents and revetments overlooking Ukraine.

Also early this morning Australia time, a group of masked right wing ultra-nationalists began a demonstration inside and out of the Ukraine’s main parliament building - calling for the sacking of the police minister after one of their leaders was shot dead.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/world/a-rapid-russian-buildup-of-tanks-and-troops-with-tough-talk-from-president-vladimir-putin-raises-fears-war-with-ukraine-could-be-imminent/story-fnjbobef-1226867240935

Guest Guest66881

I honestly think Putin wants some sort of battle/war, he knows he as the upper hand especially with Obama's approach to dealing with Putin and how he made certain gafs over the whole Syria thing.

The euro zone wants to do something but fears hiked prices or cut off gas and oil may harm them

Guest The Pom Queen
Snap, very worrying situation and I have thought so since the beginning of the crisis. Hope they are not right but all we need is one mad man. Glad we are on the other side of the world, On the Beach comes to mind.

Well I hope we stay out of this one both the UK and Australia.

Guest Guest66881

Americas blaming everyone else for not acting on words promised, and that they (usa) fund all of the wars, it's the euros turn to get involved and pay for some of it.

Guest isis1mcc

who are the uk or usa to tell anyone butt out of other countries they are the 2 biggest and most frequent warmongers this planet has ever seen....

So do I, its nothing to do with us. We are always getting involved when we should just stay out.

This story does not seem to big over here, I cannot see anything on either the front page of thee bbc news website or the sky news website.

Guest Guest66881

But other countries who sympathize with Russia who have the nuclear power might just be mad enough to.

This is what media outlets are reporting today. Do you think we will leave Russia to get on with it or will we all get dragged in to this.

A senior military academic is warning Europe is staring down the barrel of its biggest war since 1945. And it could start in days, as Russian forces mass on the border with Ukraine — apparently poised to invade.

The commander of NATO forces in Europe visited the White House overnight to voice his alarm at Moscow’s massive military build-up facing eastern Ukraine — on the other side of the embattled country to the already-annexed Crimean peninsula.

Many other military and political voices are suddenly expressing the same fears.

“By the end of the weekend, Europe’s biggest war since 1945 will have begun or Putin will have started to send the troops on the border home,” declared Professor of the Naval War College at Boston University, John Schindler.

The troops are reportedly not average Russian conscripts. New intelligence reveals the mechanised infantry units and their tanks to be among the best and most highly trained the Russian Federation has — diverted from their Moscow barracks to their tents and revetments overlooking Ukraine.

Also early this morning Australia time, a group of masked right wing ultra-nationalists began a demonstration inside and out of the Ukraine’s main parliament building - calling for the sacking of the police minister after one of their leaders was shot dead.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/world/a-rapid-russian-buildup-of-tanks-and-troops-with-tough-talk-from-president-vladimir-putin-raises-fears-war-with-ukraine-could-be-imminent/story-fnjbobef-1226867240935

No I don't. Some think tank taking himself a little too seriously I would think. Bigging himself up in the international press at a guess. Quite a profitable business handled rightly. Putin has The Crimea and little can be done to altar that fact. A move into eastern Ukraine I feel unlikely at the moment unless the excuse of saving Russian lives becomes apparent with attacks by alter Ukrainian Nationalists.

The West will huff and puff but war is very unlikely on the cards. Saying that The Ukraine has a right to feel let down with the break of treaty affirmations signed by USA/UK/Russia. Hence Ukraine dismantled their nuclear arsenal.

This is another reason I come down heavy on the breaking or ignoring of agreements be it for refugees or the defence of a friendly nation and everything in between. There comes a time when such things are worthless and chaos rules with no nation having faith in any other.

I honestly think Putin wants some sort of battle/war, he knows he as the upper hand especially with Obama's approach to dealing with Putin and how he made certain gafs over the whole Syria thing.

The euro zone wants to do something but fears hiked prices or cut off gas and oil may harm them

I would say Russia is playing a calculated gamble that it is reasonably assured of wining. He doesn't want war on a wide scale as that would involve the USA, but he is sure that won't happen over Ukraine.

He has a good point in Syria for perhaps the wrong reasons. Ukraine will pay a high price as the meat in the middle as economically Russia turns the screws. Europe is not in much of a place to do much. Germany probably gas the most leverage with a leader that understands the Russian mind and speaks the language fluently (as does Putin, German) to be able as anyone to keep the mater from spiralling out of control.

Americas blaming everyone else for not acting on words promised, and that they (usa) fund all of the wars, it's the euros turn to get involved and pay for some of it.

Ukrainians have a valid reason to feel let down by USA in this one. The Euro nations don't have the economy nor the clout to back it up. Germany the only real contender will be working hard behind the scenes.

I would say Russia is playing a calculated gamble that it is reasonably assured of wining. He doesn't want war on a wide scale as that would involve the USA, but he is sure that won't happen over Ukraine.

He has a good point in Syria for perhaps the wrong reasons. Ukraine will pay a high price as the meat in the middle as economically Russia turns the screws. Europe is not in much of a place to do much. Germany probably gas the most leverage with a leader that understands the Russian mind and speaks the language fluently (as does Putin, German) to be able as anyone to keep the mater from spiralling out of control.

I tend to agree. Putin can't lose. As soon as the west mobilize, if they do, he will pull back. He doesn't want and can't afford a full scale war. But it does him no harm to be the bully of Europe. Many will fold before him.

As I pointed out in another thread though, the vast majority of people living in Crimea do want to be part of Russia, so the outcome is in line with the will of the people.

The referendum may have been somewhat dodgy, but from all the news I have seen and people interviewed on the streets they all want to be part of Russia.

So I think Putin has been heavy handed but the underlying issue of Crimea probably is justified in that it should be part of Russia.

I'm sure a crack team from the SBS (Special BBQ Service) will be available night and day to be flown in to any hot spot in the world to support British and American forces with cold beer and overcooked sausages and thereby making a winning contribution to keeping the Ukraine safe.

in the 30s hitler marched into Sudetenland to protect the german speaking population .....nothing was done , so he became emboldened ...does this sound familiar ?

Crimea was given to the Ukraine in 1954 by former soviet leader kruschev .....now they are taking it back .......

The fact that the U.S barks and no one listens anymore , may encourage Putin to go further .....as long as he doesn't try it on with the Baltic states or Poland ...they are part of NATO .

I'm sure a crack team from the SBS (Special BBQ Service) will be available night and day to be flown in to any hot spot in the world to support British and American forces with cold beer and overcooked sausages and thereby making a winning contribution to keeping the Ukraine safe.

You can be pretty sure where the USA and UK go, Australia won't be far behind.

Archived