Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow Thanks Skippy you've excelled yourself!

Annie x

If things are worth doing, they are worth doing well Annie, welcome to the fold, just got to sit back and wait for everyone to get here now.

I'm a good organiser when it comes to other people, but lack motivation when it comes to doing things at home, that's when my back plays up. :biglaugh:

OMG!!..skippy...im never going to see my OH again....all those golf clubs..!! dont tell him please...im a golf( and thai boxing) widow as it is...mmmm perhaps we should rethink our oz plans mm lets think about that for a minute.???......errrr...NOOOOOOooooo only joking.if Ill let him play... he can buy me a horse..then we'll both be happy....hheee

Guest OldiesRUs

Welcome Annie! Nice to welcome someone else who has discovered the lovely Illawarra.

When I was out in March, we went to the golf club nearest my son - don't know what it is called, he lives in Kiama Downes - for a meal. While we were there, his girlfriend joined as a social member. Only cost $12 for the year and members get discounts on drinks!! Bargain. So you can sit on the verandah and get sozzled at a bargain price while watching OH play golf.

Glad you enjoyed Cargos, that's my boy!!

Jean:wubclub:

Guest OldiesRUs

Breakfast, Lunch & dinner here Jean, the only tea is what people drink. :biglaugh:

Maybe it's a Victorian thing then as all the relatives down there call it tea.

We also called it tea in the UK & when we first arrived here, if you were to invite anyone around for tea here, they would think they were coming for a cuppa. :yes:

Another Aussie thing is when they ask you to bring a plate, after you have been invited to a bbq or get together, they mean bring along a salad or something similar, or maybe a cake, very embarrasing turning up with an empty plate as many a Pom have found out over the years. :biglaugh:

Hee! We were previously warned about the bring a plate one! A full plate that would be then!

Another one i discovered working with the aussies and that I thought was funny was that they say morning tea and afternoon coffee, where us poms would have morning coffee and afternoon tea!!

It's just all upside down innit?!!

Hello fellow pio chums..on a completely different change of subject. Ive just come back from my running session and whilst doing so my mind turned to the lovely illawarra (as it often does) and I wondered as it is winter over there in the illawarra at present, what sort of time does it get dark over there or rather how long are the daylight hours during your average winter month. Only its nearing the longest day here and I was just pondering on it getting darker again every day thereafter..(ohh nooo dark at 4pm !!!doommm and gloooom how depressing)..

helen xxx

RVN, first light is at around 6-30 am, the sun goes down at around 5-00pm, we will be having our shortest day when you get your long one, our coldest temps in the day so far have been 15 deg C, although the sea temp is still 20 deg C, we get cold winds at this time of year, so it gets like breezy Blackpool at times, but it doesn't stop the surfers.

June, July & August are our Winter months, so we'll see how the temps are around the middle of July [mid Winter] I like this time of year, it gives me time to catch up on a bit of respite from the hot sunny days. :biglaugh:

It's felt like Christmas this week! I'm glad the wind has calmed down, it's been lovely today, nice and christmassy, i do miss a cold christmas! We are doing a 'Christmas in July' this year!

Sorry for my ignorance Skippy, but what's/where is Cowries?

Hubby is still in kiddy corner re: surfing! He's just learning! Did you see the whales between The Farm and North Kiama last weekend? They put on a real good show, although a bit far out to see them properly.

Cowries is on the end of the rocky outcrop on the eastern side of Shellharbour harbour where the boat ramp is.:yes:

RVN, Yesterday the 15th & my 65th birthday was the coldest day we have had in 10 months, 14.7 deg C, 5-30pm today & I could still see around the back yard without any light, would have been better without the cloud cover, the only thing that runs here is my nose thesedays. :biglaugh:

Guest OldiesRUs

happy birthday to you! tra la

happy birthday to you! tra la

happy birthday dear Skippy (getting a bit slower)

happy birthday to you! tra la ( and speeded up again)

Consider yourself sung to.

Hope you had a really good one.

My OH is 65 this year, so when we get out there you can be old grimblers together.

(By the way, just in case you missed it, we have a CO at long last and our Assurers have their interview tih Centrelink on 30th, so we are going to be there soooooooon, fingers and everything else crossed)

Thanks Jean, I can identify with the grumpy old men show. :yes:

Good to hear that everything is on track for you both, my OH is retiring in 9 days time, so we are going to Cargo's for a double celebration, I'll have to go for lunch as I hate going out at night thesedays, too cold, :biglaugh:

Hey happy birthday skippy, hope you had a lovely day....ahh winter does not sound too bad in the illawarra after all..

I brought my latest issue of Auz and N.Z mag today and it had an article on the south coast with some gorgous photos of stanwell park beach and of the grand pacific highway..I know thats a bit further up..but...mmmmmm just wanna be there....:cry:

sooo i hope...

by the way has anyone heard from meggs...just wondered how she and jon are??

Guest OldiesRUs
my OH is retiring in 9 days time, so we are going to Cargo's for a double celebration, I'll have to go for lunch as I hate going out at night thesedays, too cold, :biglaugh:

Lunch at Cargos , fab. I'll have to let Stuart know so he can put a candle in your crab claw for you!!

Just re-read that, sounds a bit rude, but you get my drift.

Lunch at Cargos , fab. I'll have to let Stuart know so he can put a candle in your crab claw for you!!

I'm not a crab person, I haven't been keen on crabs since a work mate had them. :biglaugh: anything else is alright though, I'll have to nip in beforehand and check the me n you.

RVN, Thanks for B/day wishes, Stanwell Park is nice and only 30 mins away, the new Grand Pacific Drive has made a difference, the old road would probably have been closed now from rock falls because of the rain, it's a nice walk along there too, with some beautiful coastal views.

The nights can get pretty cool here, & we have been known to get a bit of light frost at times, which goes once the sun comes up, snow has fallen a couple of times at Robertson, which is at the top of the Maquarie Pass [3 times in 38 years] but it only stays for a couple of hours, it's the cold winds that make us rug up, but that only means a jumper, I can handle that for a few weeks a year.

Haven't heard anything from Meggs ?

Happy Birthday Skippy! Ah, i know where that is (Cowries), haven't heard it called that. There were plenty of body boarders there last week, we are now heading that way for a walk and another practice surf session tommorow, so if you down Shellharbour South Beach, come and say hello, we'll probably be the only people there!

Hi Jean, Did you assurer have any probs/long waits getting their interview date at Centrelink?

From what i read on other thread, it just seems to be Perth with the long waiting list. Bet you have told everyone you've met now!! Good luck with it all, you'll soon be here, Donna xxx

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Donna

No, we still haven't told anyone. Not going to until we get the phone call/email saying we have it. Our AoS have their interview on 30 June, so only two weeks wait. What is two weeks after waiting 11 months! It's getting soooooo close now.

Talking of surfing, when my son first went out to Aus, his ambition was to surf in shorts - when he finally did it, he said he scratched all his stomach! He now surfs all the time in a wet suit, even in your lovely warm waters.............and this is the boy who used to go surfing at Newquay on New Years Day!!!!!!!! I tell him he's turned into an Aussie Whimp.

Archived