Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

hi all,we're new to this site.Just happen to see the pics posted by skippy about Illawara and other areas.We got our PR visa and hoping to be in Oz by end of August.We don't really know where we are going.Our first choice 2years ago before we apply the visa is Adelaide but house prices seems to have doubled since ,then we thought about Melbourne,and was put off with the stamp duty you have to pay when you buy first house;sydney's very little and so as perth.When we looked at the sydney thread last night,illawara just sounds a very nice place to raise a family;the lakes,the beach,and lots more looks gorgeous.We got a 4 year old boy.What is Illawara like?Is there opportunities for us?Me ICU nurse,hubby mental health nurse.Is it multi-cultural too,I'm originally from Philippines,hubby is english.I will contact agencies tomorrow about jobs;I would like to hear your views about the place please,thanks..

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello, the illawarra is so beautiful. We are planning to move there as soon as our PR visa has been granted, which is taking far too long to come I can tell you. We visited at Christmas and fell in love with the place. There is so much to see and do, you could never be bored im sure. We are hoping to go to Albion Park which is just south of the lake illarwarra. Im sure with your trades you will be fine anywhere is Oz. I would advise a recce visit before you make up your mind though.

visa applied for in Aug 07

Acknowledged in Feb 08

Meds done March 08 - awaiting eagerly for results.

Just make sure you behave and don't give me a bad name :biglaugh:

It is quite multi cultural here, there is also a Phillipino group in the Illawarra, you will find that prices have soared over the last few years in all Aussie states, so it's much of a muchness really wherever you go.

The Illawarra has almost everything a person needs, except for jobs, but the government is working on that side of things s l o w l y, the Illawarra was mainly steel & coal, but modern technology has cut the number of people needed drastically over the years.

There are a few hospitals around the area, both private & public, so you shouldn't have much of a problem with that kind of work, Shellharbour hospital has a psych ward, that's a job not many people would be looking for thesedays, if you are looking for a place close to the countryside & the sea, then the Illawarra is worth a look. :yes:

Hello me again..

When we visited we noticed a lot of new building developments going on and have heard from several people that the illawara is up and coming area? Skippy what do you think on this? Ps do you know much about mining in this area only my OH fancys being chucked down there for some mad reason??:wacko:

Gday RVN, I worked daan pit for over 10 years, it's not the kind of job you can just walk into these days unless you have underground experience etc, you could look up the Miners Union in the Gong [CMFEU] you have to be a member before you get a job, and the miners that are out of work get the first chance when a vacancy arises.

We had over a dozen mines in the 70's that went into the cliff face that surround the Illawarra, because they had been going for years, it took an hour to get to the coal face, so they put shafts down over the mountain that allowed miners to be on the job within minutes, many mines closed, an Indian company have bought a couple of the old mines and they are now back in production, but don't employ the amount of men that they did when we first came here, the further in the mines go, the more danger is attached to the job, because of the methane gas that has built up in the coal seams over many years.

It's different in the iron ore mines, they take almost anyone & are on BIG money, but they are in W.A. and you only see your hubby about once a month.

As you say, there is development going on round here like we have never seen before, I can only think that it is the baby boomers retiring & coming to live in this beautiful environment ?

Work has started on a big marina at Shellharbour, where there will be cafe's etc, etc, & the car carrier boats are starting to come into Port Kembla now instead of Sydney, so a few jobs will be created from these.

The economy is a bit slow at the moment, but it will pick up again at sometime, life, the economy & the interest rate are like a game of snakes & ladders, hopefully, under our new Labour Government, we will start moving away from being one of the American states or puppets and move ahead now.

That said, I wouldn't be dead for quids, I love this area & what it has to offer, it is a great place to bring up kids & the beaches are perfect as you have already seen and not far from any of the suburbs, 15 mins west of the ocean and you are in the bush.

What more can I say ?

Thanks Skippy..as ever very helpful..Ill let my OH read the above. We have friends in Sydney who have a family member who is looking into going to work in mines in the Hunter valley.. Not sure what type but apparently the company pay for all flights (chinese whispers though bare in mind!) so Im thinking if OH did work there, albion park regional airport may come in handy. Still need to look into it in more detail and find out how this other chaps getting on.

I just can't wait till we move..looks like it will be at least 6 plus months. :arghh: too fed up with the cold wet weather over here. Even my poor dogs hate it!! They are going to just love lounging around being aussie dogs...hee hee..

I was talking to a bloke today RVN, who told me that there were a few mining jobs going locally, but it's only a 2 year contract, that is only so they can get rid of the no hopers when their contacts end, the good workers get another contract etc.

The Hunter region is just like this one, based on steel & coal, but they have what is called open cut mines also, we were going to move there when I got retrenched 20 years ago, but then they went through a recession too with the steelworks & mines closing, needless to say we stayed here & rode it out.

The dogs certainly love running around on the beach, the dog & I had the beach to ourselves today,

I'm sure your dogs won't look so sad when they can do the same, ha ha.

Thought you might like to look at these.

homehound.com.au

dougmal.com.au

Right Choice Real Estate - Shellharbour and Albion Park

Thanks Skippy for the web addresses. My other half ( i had better use his name) is still quite keen, I had a look at some of the mining jobs on the net and it looks promising, just have to wait until we get there. Clive does not mind contracting as he has done so before. He used to be in the army so Im used to him going away for weeks/months at a time. He is a hard worker so hopefully if he did get a post they would re offer when contract ran out. But who knows. Im so impatient to get there. Which beach were you able to walk your hound on skippy? Is it a big mutt or ittle one? one more question? (sorry..on my lunch break and trying to write it all quickly...) which vet do you use and are they any good? (only asking as I may ask them for a job..hee hee..) I understand there is one is AP and one in APRail. is this right?

skippy i hope you don't think that i'm having a go at your posts, its just i felt as a new migrant my opinion might be worth something.

johnd, why should I think that ? that is the best post I've seen on here in a while & I agree with you 100%, Your opinions can help others a lot more than mine can, you are doing it now, not in the middle ages like we did, it is a lot different these days to what it was 38 years ago when we came here, we had the hostels to fall back on and many agencies to help migrants find work, homes etc, the Park was a village back then & had the best paying mine on the coast at the top of Yellow Rock Road.

Talking about work ethics etc, my wife went to work some years ago as a casual, she finished up running the office of a multi national company because of her commitment to the job, that didn't go down well with a few of her workmates, but then again, they were lazy, took days off etc and had no ambitions, when it comes to working hours, I did the same as you, turn up each day and gave my best, I worked to live, not live to work, and got a lot of work by being reliable, I found that the majority of blokes who did all the overtime shifts, did it to feed their gambling & drinking habits rather than make life easier for their families etc, I went down that road for a short while.

It's funny to think that I refused to get on the bus at the airport to come to the Gong, just because of what people had said about this area, we were supposed to only come here for 2 days then go back and live in Sydney, when I saw the coastline from Bulli Tops I changed my mind, thank goodness, because I never would have settled there.

I'm glad to hear that things are working out for you, it's very hard to settle, even with some family here, I wouldn't want to relive my first 4 years again, but I'm so glad I stuck it out now.

RVN, you're right about the 2 vets, there is one just down the road from us, but the dog likes the one at A/P rail better, so we go there, our dog is a 10 year old Staffie bitch.

I take the dog to a beach at Port Kembla, it is in the industrial part, so not many people go there, it is on the northern side of what is called Hill 60, there is also a long beach on the southern side that runs from Port K to windang, there is access to the middle of the beach from a couple of streets at Windang.

Council's don't allow dogs on the beaches, but as long as you keep away from the surf beaches & pick up any mess, no one bothers, I even let her swim in Belmore Basin at the Gong Harbour, Shellharbour south beach & Kiama during the week when there's no one around, it's all common sense really and many people do it.

Guest darsar

Great posts Skippy and johnd,its really refreshing to have such honest views on the area.We are maybe looking to move to that area(I have spoken to you before Skippy and you have been really helpfull)My hubby is a hard working joiner,so hopefully there will be a job for him somewhere?!!Sarah++

Gday Sarah, it's like the old saying, you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, so you take anything for starters, then you can take your time looking for what you really want to do, I think johnd is doing that.

They don't have joiners here, they're all carpenters, haven't met a poor one yet, ha ha, all the best with everything.

RVN, these are the beaches that you won't have problems taking the dogs, I took these today.

This is just south of the Port K harbour & the worst beach in the area would you believe.

100_0989.jpg

This is Fishermans beach, just below Hill 60 where all these pics were taken & seperated from the other beach by the rocky headland.

100_0984.jpg

RVN, this is the main Port Kembla surf beach that goes all the way to Windang, the surf beach section is under the side of the hill & out of site in this shot, so you can have a good walk with the dogs or get on halfway by going up the side streets of Windang, in the middle of the pic, across lake Illawarra, is Albion Park covered in mist from the rain falling on top of the mountain range, the houses in this pic are worth a million dollars, a lot different to the other side of PK.

100_0986.jpg

This is what Port K is all about, the steelworks, it's not smoke in the air, it's rain clouds, this is the highest chimney in the southern hemisphere and due to be demolished, as the copper smelter has been closed down for a few years now.

100_0988.jpg

Hi All

We're coming out for a weeks recce & I just wanted to pick your brains please? We're definitely going to move to the Illawarra region but we're not sure exactly where yet. We've got a couple of spaniels so all the info on beaches we can walk them on is fantastic Skippy - our Springer loves water & running everywhere!

My OH is going to be working in Moss Vale & I believe several people there commute from the Gong & surrounding areas - my OH'd prefer not to use the windy, hilly road but I believe there's another route at the top of the Gong. So he doesn't mind commuting, but I'm not keen as I'd like to continue to be able to pop home at lunchtime & let the dogs out etc.

So, can anyone recommend a commutable, nice area that has rentals which allow pets & likely to have jobs locally for a bookkeeper (I work as a company accountant in the UK but never took my exams)

Many thanks

Rachel & Bernie (& Henry & Charlie - wuff!)

Ive been there!!! and I actually have sat on that bench too (3rd picture) and looked out to sea gazing out at the island just off the coast there (big island I think?)... Thanks skippy..great pictures...god I feel home sick already...Its all so gorgeous...Was not so keen on Port Kembla as a place...can't remember why...but hey for dog walking though..looks fine..hey perhaps when all of us get over we should meet up with our pooches.

Guest darsar

Lovely pictures Skippy,I am not jealous(MUCH!!!!!!!)I might watch "The man who sued God" on T.v tonight(its set in Burmagui)Then again I might not or I may have to turn to drink.We are enjoying snow and lots of mud here in the U.K.Take care.....Sarah:wacko:

Guest Megss

hi skippy, just wanted to say thanks for the pictures! I loved them! We're probably comming to live in Illawarra so its so nice to see some pictures of it! It looks beautiful!

Hi all, looks like I have a full class today, ha ha.

Rachel, the windey mountain Rd is the Maquarie Pass, it is 5 mins out of Albion Park & the only way up the mountain in the south of the Illawarra, the other Rd is Mt Ousley, which is the main hwy to Sydney, then you turn onto the Picton Rd etc, this takes twice as long, if not more going that way, but if you live near or north of the Gong, you don't have any alternative.

The Pass can be dangerous at times, but if you take your time, it is fine, we go up there all the time, at the top [Robertson] is cold in Winter and they have been known to have a bit of snow & fog, but it only lasts a few hours, that area and Mossy is called the Southern Highlands & is a place that TV personalities etc call home, mind you, like everywhere else, you get a few unfortunates.

RVN, I couldn't live at PK or the surrounding areas, many Europeans settled in Port, Warrawong, Cringila & Coniston when they were brought out here by the steelworks, although there are nice areas in these suburbs, it's not for me.

It is a lot cleaner these days, I use to go there when I got homesick for my native Sheffield, it made me realise what I had left behind, ha ha.

darsar, the only problem with Bermagui is that it is too far away from everything, I love that area of the coast though, it is a great place to retire, but very short on facilities etc.

megss, that is the crappy side of the Illawarra, I'll put some old pics and new ones on this thread.

Gateway to the Illawarra, Stanwell Park.

100_0871.jpg

Gateway out of the Illawarra, 7 mile beach at Gerringong.

100_0678.jpg

Part of Albion Park, 10 mins from Shellharbour & 15 mins from Kiama, it was once all dairy country, but now houses young & old families in a country setting.

AlbionPark.jpg

Decided to keep away from the beach today and focus on Albion Park & the scenery that we take for granted, managed to find an old bush track, so I was able to get to the top of the hills that surround the area, couldn't manage to drive up the cliff face though.

Looking N/E over Lake Illawarra towards Port Kembla

100_1001.jpg

Looking S/E

100_1000.jpg

The main road through A/P to Maquarie Pass that takes you up the mountain

100_1005.jpg

Top of the range.

100_1010.jpg

Looking south over the Jamberoo Valley, Jamberoo is in the centre & just 6 mins from A/P, we go this way to Kiama, I heard that 60% of the Jamberoo population work in Sydney ? I think they are Doctors etc, Jambers is expensive, but a few nice little gems come up for sale at times.

100_1009.jpg

Looking north, we live at the bottom of this picture, next to the fields. [We call them paddocks]

100_1002.jpg

So you see, it's not all desert here, it's pretty bloody good, although it's cloudy today. :biglaugh:

Archived