Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

[quote name=OldiesRUs;224977

Cargos on the Wharf - restaurant' date=' right on the harbout wall, my son is Head Chef.[/color]

I'm down that way every second day when the weather permits, with the dog,

I'll have to call and say Gday, I'm a class 3 diner, take away fish & chips from the front counter,ha ha, but perhaps my wife will take me there for my big birthday lunch in June.

The restaurant seems to do a decent trade, especially in the Summer months when we get invaded by the Sydneysiders, It's suprising the number of British tourist's that I have met around Kiama harbour, they always comment on how beautiful the area is, and can't believe I got here for 10 quid.

I'm quite suprised the tourism board don't promote the little blow hole & Saddleback lookout the same as the big blow hole ? it is an astonishing view from S/B on a nice day,

some years ago I thought of starting up a tourist bus, taking people around showing them the sights, even the falls etc over the mountain, but red tape & spiralling insurance premiums put a stop to that idea.

There is a cheap family restaurant at the Gerroa Fisherman's Club, at the southern side of Gerringong, the views are fantastic on a good day, looking out over the bay & 7 mile beach, but the food & selection is not as good as Cargo's.

Have you thought of giving the immigration minister a complimentary dinner or lunch at Cargo's ? :biglaugh:

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest OldiesRUs

Have you thought of giving the immigration minister a complimentary dinner or lunch at Cargo's ? :biglaugh:

Could be worth a try......................................

Jean:wubclub:

Hello all..

can I ask if anyone has any personnel experience of the primary schools in Albion park area? Ive had a good look at their web site and it sounds ideal although im not so sure about the spearmint green uniform but hey ho beggars cannot be choosers....Also can anyone let me know of the names of the local papers in which local jobs are advertised..(if they have web sites even better??) just like to keep up to date whilst we are waiting for this visa to come....cheers guys....:smile:

RVN, Illawarra Mercury, Wollongong Advertiser & the Lake Times, Thurs,Fri & Sat are the best days for the Mercury, all have web sites.

Our Grandaughter goes to Mt Terry, seems to be a nice school, popular too.

The Centrelink website may have lists of jobs on line, that's where you go when you're unemployed here.

Guest OldiesRUs
Hi Jean, We were thinking of going to Cargo's the other week, what is your son's name, will make sure we say hello next time we go!

His name is Stuart - see avatar so you'll know it's him. Please do go and introduce yourself and tell him mummy sends a big sloppy kiss and hug!!

Guest OldiesRUs

see avatar so you'll know it's him.

Does he walk around with the youngun in his arms all day Jean ? :biglaugh:

Tee hee!

Although when they ran a Ski Lodge in Charlotte's Pass and littleun was a baby, he used to put him in a carrier thing on his back while working in the kitchen. Dear old Health & Safety would have a fit!!!

I'd love the opportunity to carry him round all day - both of them in fact. Sorry, getting mushy.

Guest OldiesRUs

[

Patience Jean, it won't be long now. :yes:

But patience is a virtue - and I'm not virtuous:biglaugh:

Guest OldiesRUs

[

Patience Jean, it won't be long now. :yes:

But patience is a virtue - and I'm not virtuous:biglaugh:

[

but patience is a virtue - and I'm not virtuous:biglaugh:

No wonder they won't let you in, [Virtuous] good, moral & upright :biglaugh:

things have certainly changed since the first fleet arrived.

After 25 years of trying to get on the edge of the escarpment around Albion Park, we have finally got a lookout, so we checked it out today, Illawarra Fly Tree Top Walk - Southern Highlands, NSW, Australia

it is situated on the Jamberoo Mountain Road which is opposite the famous Robertson Pie Shop.

entrance is $19 per person, but they have family tickets too,[for the locals] if you get an ambassador card on the way out, you will get in for free everytime you take someone up there, unfortunately your guests will have to pay, there is a good cafe there, so we checked that out too, here are some pics I took from up there.

Albion Park.

100_1026.jpg

Looking north at the Illawarra

100_1031.jpg

Looking towards the coast to Shellharbour [top centre]

100_1028.jpg

AWW skippy...you make me want to cry!! Its is just SO beautiful and I cannot wait to get back..big sigh!! .... where is my VISA!!!!!!

ps..thank you for the newpaper reply..i forgot to thankyou..oppsie sorry skippy!!!:wacko:

Guest Hutch
The countryside of Albion Park...

Hey all. Registered here some time ago, but only rediscovered it today.

@ Skippy - we were at the Illawara Fly on Sunday. Was pretty busy, but well worth the trip. That main tower could do with having steps two people wide though!!

Anyway - hello from the Shoalhaven (Illawara's southerly neighbour for those that don't know the area) .... :cool:

Gday Hutch, I've got to agree with you about the steps, I couldn't walk on Sunday after walking up all those steps on Saturday, my calf's are still sore.

I thought it was a bit expensive, especially when you get more or less the same views for free from Saddleback Mountain at Kiama, I only went because it's the only place you can look over the part of Albion Park where we live.

RVN, Halfway down the first pic on the left is a long white strip beyond a row of trees, just below that is a small white strip, we live a quarter of an inch to the right of that.

The long white strip is a big greenhouse, no glass, just a big tarp to protect whatever from the sun & wind.

Further down the pic, it looks like grey piles of sand in a paddock, they are the new homes on the new Tullimbah estate, they're not selling very well as they are so close together & have little back lanes behind the homes, I think the developers dream turned into a nightmare, that whole estate is going to cover all that paddock at sometime, but I think they may have to re-think the home designs before that happens, the locals call it toy town.

The other new housing estates in the Park are out of sight behind a hill, you would think that with all this land around, they would sell decent sized building blocks these days, greedy developers comes to mind.

You can Google [Tullimbah] for a look at the homes etc.

Hi Skippy..I think I can see your house...LOL!! funnily enough we had a drive through to tullimbar and had a quick look around the houses. I got to say that although they were lovely..they were not all that, for the money they were offering Id have expected a larger garden space and for them not to be so clumped together. They are very similar to those built near where we live in the UK. Talk about sit on your neighbours doorstep!! Like you say..greedy developers..shame really!! Ive seen some nicer new propertys on some of the estate agents web sites you gave me. In fact I think ive seen my dream home about 6 or 7 times over...anyone got a spare million dollars by the way?? :biglaugh:

No..we are not going to be too hard to please..just cant wait to house hunt..

By the way skippy..not sure if your know this or not, perhaps others may do.. My daughter and I are keen horse riders. I cant seem to find any stables on the internet that are near by. If found two but they seem quite far away. Do you know of any local places? No worries if not...we find some when we get there...just follow the smell of horse *&% LOL..:twitcy:

My daughter and I are keen horse riders. I cant seem to find any stables on the internet that are near by. If found two but they seem quite far away. Do you know of any local places? No worries if not...we find some when we get there...just follow the smell of horse *&% LOL..:twitcy:

Many people here own horses & keep them on the adjistment properties that are situated on the western distributer that runs from Oak Flats to Albion Park, the one where you could go and ride for a day closed down some years ago because of huge insurance premiums, I will keep my ear to the ground.

Detective work done, Darkes Forest Riding Ranch Darks Forest & Otford both have riding facilities, they are only 30 mins from this area & off the old Princes Hwy that run alongside the new F6 freeway, there are also riding places at Dunmore [2 mins from Shellharbour] & Foxground [ 15 mins south of Kiama] I got these out of the Illawarra yellow pages.

Guest OldiesRUs

Thanks Skippy! Did you go and say g'day to my boy?

Been working away for four days in wonderful rainy Birmingham in the bowels of the NEC at an exhibition, hence late reply to you.

Kiama always looks beautiful and one of these fine days that nice Mr Immigration Man will haul my file out of his cupboard and allocate me a CO so I can come and live there. They surely must be getting close to July 07 applications by now. Good news about the increase in allocation tho'.

Archived