Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Skippy! Did you go and say g'day to my boy?

Been working away for four days in wonderful rainy Birmingham in the bowels of the NEC at an exhibition, hence late reply to you.

Kiama always looks beautiful and one of these fine days that nice Mr Immigration Man will haul my file out of his cupboard and allocate me a CO so I can come and live there. They surely must be getting close to July 07 applications by now. Good news about the increase in allocation tho'.

Jean:wubclub:

Hi Jean, They've increased the allocation? That's great! :shocked:Do you know where i can find out more info on that? I usually look at the Go Matilda website, news page, so i'll start there. I plan to send my parent's application in mid June, looks like they might have a longer than planned wait. By the way, my OH and I had dinner at Cargo's recently and i did pop in to the kitchen and say hello to your son. He gave my hubby a few good surfing tips!

Hope you don't have too much longer to wait! Donna xx

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Donna

That's great. Hope you enjoyed your food. Now I might be a bit prejudice, but isn't my boy lovely?

They have increased the CPV by 3,000. Woo Hoo. Hopefully, that means that we will be in the 08/09 allocation. Everything is ready, medicals, police checks, rellies have all the AOS forms filled out - we are just waiting for one of those mythical creatures called a CO and we can get moving.

Skippy - great news about the bowling as both OH and I took up bowling last year and absolutely love it. The only thing I dislike about it is the whites - short fat lady bending over in white pleated skirt. Not pretty. My friend reckons that I look like a little snowball.

Skippy - The only thing I dislike about it is the whites.

I find it all very humorous Jean, people take it so seriously, :yes: I think you're allowed to wear white pants if you prefer them to the skirts ? I like to watch the world championship bowls on the TV from the Warilla club, they wear multi coloured clothing when playing those games.

Guest OldiesRUs

Oh, I never take it seriously! I only play in friendly games for the fun and social side of it. Some clubs over here have have part colours. Our club tends to stick to whites for matches because we are in Windsor and our club is en-route from the tourist car park to the castle, so we are constantly having our photos taken by the tourists. It also encourages them to come in and watch - had lots of Aussie players come in and chat too.

As for white trousers - stretched large bum over short fat legs? Don't think so hun - but lots of our ladies to do wear them.

Hi Jean, hee! I recently saw advertised somewhere at one of the bowls clubs that you don't have to wear whites, can't remember which one it was though! The Aussies are pretty laid back about most things so i don't think they would mind! My dad plays bowls, maybe they could join you for a game when you get here! I have also sent you a PM Jean. Kind regards, Donna

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Donna

Yes, I think a lot of the clubs over there are pretty laid back, I know my father in law only wears whites for big competitions. It'll take a while for it to happen over here - not until the old old fogies are replaced by we younger old fogies.

Look forward to a game with your parents.

Drove past the Berkley Sports & Social Club today, which is on the northern side of Lake Illawarra, many people were playing bowls there, but not many were wearing whites, so there you go Snowball, ha ha.

Hey skippy and all those in oz..what is the weather like over there at the moment? only its not so good here...again...!! LOL.

Nice and sunny here & 20 deg today RVN, showers forecast from Sunday arvo until goodness knows when, Meggs & family are arriving sometime this week for a reccie, so hopefully the forecast works out the same as it did for you, it forecast rain then also. :biglaugh:

It's the first day of Winter tomorrow, so spare a thought for us unfortunates that will have to put up with temps below 20 deg. ha ha.

Grey sky and 16 deg today, so Winter has started, I'm going to hibernate for 3 months now, I hate wearing long pants and jumpers, at least we don't have to clear the drive of snow to get the cars out, ha ha.

Guest OldiesRUs

Grey sky and 16 degrees here too today- and it's summer!

(Think I'm going to have to change my sign in name to Snowball.)

join the club jean..guess id change mine to "raining yet again and pissed off"..(oops sorry tim!!)

lost count how many times i got soaked today cycling to work and back...:arghh:

perhaps we should all head to the sunshine coast instead.. LOL...

"raining yet again and peed off"

perhaps we should all head to the sunshine coast instead.. LOL...

The weather is the same right along the east coast of Oz, so it really makes no difference, the area's north of Sydney & across the border copped a lot more than we did, just imagine how green this place will be after though.

Jean, I called in and met your son today, he was bludging, the weather was wet & windy so not many people around, he seems a very nice chap, something like myself, Ha ha.

Guest OldiesRUs

Oh, that's lovely. Thank you for making the effort to go and meet him. I think he's a lovely chap, but then there is a little bias in my opinion of him.

When we eventually get out there, we are all going to have to meet up for dinner and put faces to forum names! That should be fun.

Guest OldiesRUs

Just realised - maybe I should have gone Aussie and said we should all meet up for Tea not dinner!!

Hi guys,

What a fab thread this is! I'm joining the oz trail at the end of this month, I'll be staying with my daughter in Gerringong until I find a place of my own. It would be lovely to see you all when I get there. Do you think we could all meet up sometime? Your doing a great job promoting the area Skippy, and your right it is a great place to live. I can't wait to get back there - been lots of times for visits - last time was in March/April this year. Now I'm packing up and rearing to go.. this time I won't be coming back! I've been thinking of joining a golf club - can't play golf but I've heard the social scene is excellent - what do you think?

Annie x

Hello Annie, welcome to our thread...hee hee...im not a golfer either but my oh is and he keeps pestering me to go and play on a course. He is dying to try out the courses in this area when we finally get there. He would be greatly interested in hearing if anyone can recommend any.

can't play golf but I've heard the social scene is excellent - what do you think?

Annie, you have to have an interest to keep you going, whether it be golf, bowls or whatever, there are many clubs around the area for the over 50's etc where you meet people and get involved, my neighbour is 80 plus & never home, she is involved in just about everything.

I have heard that most Golf, RSL's & bowling clubs have a recreational side too, where they go out together etc, so there is always something to do or somewhere to go.

He would be greatly interested in hearing if anyone can recommend any.

Port Kembla Golf Club [Primbee] The Grange G/C [Kembla Grange] The Links [shellharbour] Jamberoo G/C [Jamberoo] Kiama G/C [Minnamurra] Albion Park G/C at the back of A/P Wollongong G/C [Wollongong] Gerringong G/C [Gerringong] and a couple more north of the Gong.

Archived