Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

Guest OldiesRUs

Anyone know what the renting situation is round Albion Park, Shellharbour etc.? There is lots of talk going on about a shortage of rentals and as we are obviously not going to be able to sell our house, we are going to have to rent for longer than we orignally thought.

Looking on the realestate websites, there seems to be plenty around, but I'm not sure how good they are about taking properties off the web once they have been rented.

Is it easy to rent? We have never done it before, so not sure how it all works. Skippy - is your boat free?

Jean:wubclub:

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking on the realestate websites, there seems to be plenty around, but I'm not sure how good they are about taking properties off the web once they have been rented.

That seems to be common practice here Jean, it's the same with car & boatyards etc, the more that's on the site, the better it looks, then it's just gone when you make enquiries about them.

There are quite a few investors or families selling their properties these days, so you are never quite sure whether the home you rent is really up for sale and you are only house sitting, the real estate sometimes only give a 3 month lease, saying that it's a cooling off period to see if you are suitable tennants ????????? Questionable ?????????

Many Politicians & people who own investment properties, plus real estate agents go to Cargo's from time to time, probably stuart could ask around ?

Is the boat free ? ha ha, hope you're a good swimmer, it's just above the palm tree in the middle of the pic.

100_0274.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hannahf

Hi all, Its been a bit quiet on the thread so thought I would update you all. We have now rented our house out and have had to move into a holiday cottage for the last week in order to let the tenants have the house - it hasn't gone down well with my OH as the holiday cottage has cost more than the rent we are receiving on our house but I didn't want to run the risk of not finding someone to take it.

Our boxes left last week, we are using excess baggage, £650 for 8 boxes! We left our house full furnished so will hit Ikea in sydney as soon as find a rental.

Jean - I have tried emailing all the real estate agents and I am not getting anywhere which is quite worrying, looking at realestate.com and domain.com and then looking at individual estate agents sites the two seem to replicate each other. We are just going to go to the letting agents with all our references etc the day after we arrive.

Anyway I have 5 more working days and 9 more sleeps until we leave!!!!! The parties have started and the drinking has commenced so its time to try and relax and enjoy our last week here (not sure who I am kidding I am so stressed it is unreal!)

Skippy if you are there - whats the weather doing?

Hannah

Guest tenquidder

Compared to what one can expect now it must have been so scarey back then.

I would find it more scary nowadays Helen, we had plenty of support from the government & other agencies, we got picked up from the airport and taken straight to the hostel accomodation, everyone was in the same boat so we learned from each other & helped each other, we are the only ones out of that photo that stayed in Oz.

That photo was on a roll of film that we had develped, then found out that it was 15 years old, that's why it is a bit off colour.

The hostels were nothing like the Ritz, but it was a roof over our heads untill we found somewhere of our own to live, some stayed there for a year or so, but we only stayed for around 3 months before moving into a furnished rental property with a massive back garden for the kids.

Today you have to pay heaps of cash & wait ages to get here, find your own accommodation etc & then have to try and find your way around, which can be a bit daunting when you're out of your comfort zone.

We were sent to the Illawarra by mistake, but after seeing it, we decided to stay rather than move to Sydney where we wanted to be in the first place.

If all mistakes in life turned out like that, life would be really fantastic.

Hi Skippy

I too was a ten pound pom, or more accurately my parents were, I came for free. You're definitely right, the whole process of getting to oz was a lot simpler and cheaper than the rigmarole people seem to have to go through nowadays. I remember going to an interview in Nottingham, having a medical, next thing we were on a boat leaving Tilbury docks.

To be fair, though, there was a downside after you got here. You were sent to a migrant hostel, mainly old army barracks. You got no choice where they sent you. Acccommodation was basic nissen huts, communal toilets and showers, canteen food. To many migrants this was a deep shock, including my mum and dad. You had to stay at least 2 years, otherwise you had to repay the cost of passage. Many just stuck it out for 2 years and went back. It's telling that yours was the only family in the photo that stayed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still in Sydney, I've raised 3 childern to adulthood here, this is definitely my home. Just think we should have a balanced view, it wasn't all beer and skittles.

Chrias

[quote=tenquidder;

To be fair, though, Acccommodation was basic nissen huts, communal toilets and showers, canteen food. To many migrants this was a deep shock, including my mum and dad. You had to stay at least 2 years, otherwise you had to repay the cost of passage.

That's why we only stayed there for 3 months, we were fortunate that Fairy Meadow Hostel had well cut lawns everywhere & only a couple of minutes from the beach, so it was like a holiday camp, many bought electric frypans etc and cooked their own food.

The hostel was only a transition stage, but there were heaps of accomodation around in the Gong, plenty of work at the steel works, and new estates were built for migrants by the government in this area & the housing waiting list was only 18 months for new homes.

We rented a furnished home for about a year, moved into government housing for 5 years & then bought a new home where we still live today, as I have said somewhere else on this forum, if we had gone to Sydney, we would have been back in the UK after our 2 years were up.

Our first 3 years were hell for us, I took to drinking to combat homesickness which made things worse, but have never looked back since kicking the habit & getting my act together, life is what you make it.

Guest tenquidder

G'day Skippy

You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world. My daughter rented a house in Bulli after she got married, overlooking the beach, but they have since moved back to Sydney to be closer to work (a reality for many people).

I guess all the stuff about 10 pound poms is ancient history, and means little to most people on this forum. Are you familiar with Migrant Hostels Forum ?

The moderator is a bloke who stayed on one of the Wollongong hostels, so you might find some old memories there. I'm sure he'd be delighted to post your old photos on the site.

Cheers mate

Chris

Thanks for that link Chris, I will have a look at that site later.

This area is beautiful & turned out to be what I hoped Oz would be like, my wife used to work in Caringbah & drove up there every weekday for 20 years, there were times when we thought of moving up that way because of work, but being able to live in the country and only 10 mins from the beach made the travelling worthwhile, now we're retired, life is one long holiday.

It's remarkable to think that places like Campbeltown and surrounding areas were once farms etc, and other places which were once holiday destinations like Nowra & Batemans Bay are now major towns.

Trev.

Guest tenquidder

Hi Trev

Yes, it's remarkable how that area has developed. I think if it weren't for the the Royal National Park, Wollongong would be a Sydney suburb (thank heavens for the park, I hear you cry!). Still I think the powers that be have done a reasonable job in preserving the area's natural beauty. I'm at the stage where I need to start thinking about retirement, so you never know I might join you down there.

All the best

Chris

Hi Trev

if it weren't for the the Royal National Park, Wollongong would be a Sydney suburb (thank heavens for the park, I hear you cry!).

You're so right with that quote Chris, I love spending a day out around Sydney harbour etc from time to time, but the traffic gets to me, my head was throbbing after going to the airport a few days ago.

There are many people from Sydney down here now because of our cheaper house prices, a bloke on this forum looked at an ex housing commission home at Mt Warrigal a few days ago, it has been fully renovated, new bathroom, kitchen etc, double garage and still plenty of garden for only $260,000, it's only a 5 min drive to the beach, lake, main shopping centre, school and work, what a great buy for a young couple just starting their new lives in Oz.

Which suburb do you live in ?

Guest tenquidder

Hi Trev

Well I guess this straying off topic (moderators feel free to delete / move) but since you ask I spent 28 years in the hills district (Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill), bringing up my family. I'm now an empty-nester renting an apartment in Pyrmont (funnily enough where i disembarked as a migrant kid all those years ago). It's not cheap, but it's near the harbour, next door to Darling Harbour and about a 15 min. walk to the city.

Let's face it, Sydney is a city. As cities go (and I've seen a few), in my opinion it's one of the most liveable places on earth. But like all cities it has traffic, crowds, crime, expensive housing, etc. The seductive thing, of course, is that once you get a foothold in the property market you're sitting on a highly priced asset relative to other places in oz. I don't have a car any more, I don't drive, so mercifully I'm relieved of that stress.

All the best

Chris

Gday Rachel, if you ever go down Sussex Inlet way, the kangaroos come out around 4 pm, I think it's called Suncrest Ave, look it up on Google.

Addison's is great, Alex the owner & his brother Jimmy, who owns a restaraunt in Albion Park, used to work in the family owned fruit shop in Albion Park, I know them well.

I had the whole beach to myself Thursday lunchtime, then met the wife for coffee etc opposite the pub, had to share my bacon with the dog though, hope you soon find somewhere long term, that's the problem with renting, one of our kids has had to move several times, but the other has been in Blackbutt for about 4 years now, so he has been lucky.

We have the wifes cousin coming in March, so I have to get my finger out and do a few jobs around the place, but I nearly always find time to get my ocean fix nearly everyday, it's so relaxing, better than living in the big smoke.

What did your visitor's think to the area ?

Hey Skippy - I totally missed your reply above - don't know how as I keep dipping in to the forums - must be distracted by all this gorgeous coastline! We were down at Shellharbour south beach today - luckily before the heavens opened. Even though it's a bit windy & nippy today it was such a nice experience - I kept getting sidetracked by the sunlight glinting on all the pebbles & stones in the totally clear water! I've never lived so close to the coast before & don't think I ever want to move away - landlord's permitting! Our visitors absolutely loved it too - mainly the eating & drinking part but they enjoyed everything about the area really. We haven't made it back to Addisons yet but we certainly will be going again soon.

You're right in what you say Chris, you're in a good position too, you should never get bored living there, a mate of mine lives just up from you, the other side of the Gladesville Bridge.

Once you leave the city, it would be very hard getting back into the housing market there, as another friend of mine found out.

All the best.

I've never lived so close to the coast before & don't think I ever want to move away.

We were the same Rachel, there is no way we would live anywhere further inland than we do now, I sometimes have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. :SLEEP:

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Hannah

Thanks for the info on the renting problem. The opposite seems to be the problem over here. It seems as though there are so many houses up for rent that can't be sold, that people are having problems even getting someone in to rent their property. Oh didn't we pick the wrong time - well we didn't, if POPC had got their finger out and given our visas even 4 months earlier, we would have been OK.

Oh well, if we can't sell or rent our house and can't get a house to rent over there, looks like we are going to have to change plans and live in Victoria and bludge off father in law for a roof over our heads!! Although hoping that our son will be able to find us something before we get out there. They have a good relationship with their real estate agent.

Jean:wubclub:

Hi all, how is the lovely Illawarra at the moment???? I am counting down the weeks now..only 9 left..whoo hooo!!! and have booked into a B&B in AP for a couple of weeks. Hoping to find a rental house during that time..who knows Trevor... we might end up being neighbours!!! LOL!

I meant to ask ..what shops (ie. supermarkets/normal retail etc) are there in AP? Ive been looking at google earth of the town and trying to work out what is where..Ive found Amys future school, the B&B and the bowling green but not sure what else is there...so addictive..

Gday Helen, is it the B&B on the main road & just up from the bowling club ?

We have a Woolworths supermarket, 2 barbers shops, newsagents, bakery, post office, 1 Bowling and 1 RSL clubs, pub, and 2 bottle shops for your take away wine, spirits & beer, there are also several fast food outlets & 2 service stations, 3 if you count Woolies, 1 hardware shop and of course, the Barn Saddlery.

There are 3 doctors surgeries, with several docs in each, chemist, 1 dental surgery, but my wife prefers a dentist opposite Warilla Grove shopping centre.

It is only a small township, so we go to the shopping complex at what is known as Shellharbour City thesedays for some things like clothes, or Dapto Mall they are both only 10 mins away, or you can go to Figtree, Warrawong or Wollongong, the majority of furniture shops are in Warrawong & Wollongong.

If you really want a good day out clothes shopping, Miranda Fair at Miranda is the place to go, [southern suburb of Sydney] and only 40 mins away.

It has been wet and humid in the Park this last few days, so we have nipped down the beach for a breather between showers a couple of times.

There is also an ANZ bank & IMB building society in the Park, plus a credit union.

Thats the one!!!! does look nice..

Thanks Trevor...(sent you a PM) As for the weather here..(in case your missing all the chilly stuff)..it is 2C here and foggy, miserable, cold, damp and Im shivering in my house even with the heating on....brrrrrrrrr give me hot and humid anyday..But I did cheer myself up by buying a christmas tree (fake of course..save the environment!!). I also went to a christmas fair at our local aircraft museum and brought a christmas pudding made in......wait for it......NSW Australia!!! of course I had to buy it on principle LOL..

xxxxx

hi helen,have you booked your car rental yet?we book ours thru www.vroomvroom.com.au $340 for 2 weeks and we buy our excess cover from the UK,it's worth it its only £59 for 1 year worldwide cover from the website www.insurance4carhire.com And also we booked our transport thru liesure coast travel $160 from airport to the illawarra.Its worth the money,save you from driving Trevor took us to the hire car place in wollongong the next day.9 weeks will just fly.Are you shipping your stuff?We lived here 3 months now,we're loving it.Dan is working full time and i'm working part time and some extra shifts.We'll see you in 2 months time?good luck and enjoy christmas there. Dan,Hermie,and Charlie

Hi Hermie..thanks for those web sites. Ill def look into those. Your right the weeks are flying by!!! OMG!! its just so sureal now! Glad you both are enjoying it. Its VERY comforting to hear that other people are doing well...helps me think positively too. It will be lovely to meet up with you too. As for the shipping, we are in the process of getting quotes now..so will prob book those in the next few weeks. House comes off the market this week too...:-( no buyers so Ill be a landlord soon OMG!! oh well....Hakuna Matata!! LOL...

As for the weather here..(in case your missing all the chilly stuff)..it is 2C here and foggy, miserable, cold, damp and Im shivering in my house even with the heating on....brrrrrrrrr give me hot and humid anyday..

You've just missed a magic 35 deg Helen, PHEW !

Guest hannahf

Hi all, Well we are here, think this is day 11 so wanted to update you all on how we are getting on. Please excuse the long post! Flight was fine despite my initial worries, had a six hour stopover at singapore which was great as it gave us time to shower and change. Arrived in sydney last monday to a beautiful sunny day and was met by Daves new bosses wife which was nice. As we were driving down to moss vale she broke the news that unfortunately we could only have the flat for a week which left us 4 days to find somewhere to live, they had sorted a car and mobile though so at least we were able to start house hunting straight away.

Initially discounted moss vale and headed for Bowral, loved it straight away - great shops and lovely restaurants etc but just nothing to rent and also noticed that alot of the shops weren't child friendly or the cafes so ruled that out. Second day headed down to albion park, shellharbour etc and had tea in the hotel on the front in shellharbour and then played on north beach - perfect! Apart from one thing the Macquarrie (?) pass, Dave felt there was no way he could do this every day at six in the morning - I was gutted but its not me that has to work....

Anyway i am sitting here typing this in my stunning house listening to the pouring rain overlooking Moss vale golf course - views are gorgeous and the house is perfect for us - we have paid $340 a week but its massive and perfect for when we have guests. I have really taken to moss vale, everyone is so friendly and there really is everything you need here and yet Bowral, Mittagong and the coast are still really close.

Went to Kiama last sunday using the jamberoo road, much better than the pass which pleased me as dave has agreed if i still want to live by the coast in six months he would be happy to do the drive, back down there tomorrow if the weather improves, thought it was a great place especially the beaches for Issy. It has rained non-stop all day and this is the third cloudy day whereas the beginning of the week it was 31 - quite bizarre - just glad i put some coats in the suitcase. Tomorrow is the Moss vale carols and bbq in the park which will be quite surreal.

Went to sydney last friday - wow - we have been lucky enough over the years to visit a fair few european/american cities and sydney was way up there it was amazing and we felt really comfortable having Issy with us as well which was great - only drawback was the $38 to park! can't wait to go back and explore some more but maybe on a sunday when parking is cheaper.

Dave is really enjoying work which is lucky as we are on a 457, he went to west warawong (?) yesterday about a 4 hour drive west from here to a gold mine - he was knocked out by the experience.

Missing home alot but we are using skype to talk to friends and family which is so cheap and easy to use, just waiting for austar to be installed now as Issy or rather me needs playhouse disney!

Discoverd dan murphys and the cheap wine so off for a glass of wine now

For those of you on your way over soon you'll love it!

take care Hannah

Welcome to Oz Hannah, glad to hear you all arrived safe & well & are settling in ok, I think it may have been West Wyalong that Dave went to ? Warrawong is near Port Kembla.

Rachel's husband works in Mossy and travels up the Jamberoo Mountain Rd each day, it's all personal preference really, I don't mind the pass as I go to see my mate who lives at the top of there quite often, but it can get quite slippy after rain, due to the stuff that falls off the gum tree's etc, but there are a lot of accidents on there.

Next time you're in Bowral, drive through the main st towards Sydney, at the far side of Bowral on the right is a lookout overlooking the area, you will see the sign, another little place for friendly cafe's & tourists is Berrima, not far from Mossy.

I just love living 10 mins from the ocean, when they finally put a new road down the mountain, the Southern Highlands will be a lot closer to it too.

Hi all..can someone explain Skype to me please. Clive and I have been looking at web cameras for our relatives.(we wanted to get them all one for xmas) Is skype a company a bit like the broadband/internet companies ie. ntl world, aol etc or similar. Thank you heaps and bundles..xxxx

Hi Hannah. Glad you all arrived safely. Moss Vale sounds lovely. There is a good write up on that area on the real estate web site. It had video interviews on the area too, and of Kiama. Cant wait to take a trip up there for a looksee. How old is your daughter by the way?

Archived