Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

What a beautiful day it was in Kiama today, fish & chips at the harbour for lunch, then watched a whale and it's calf jumping out of the water really close to the coastline, trust me to leave the B camera at home again. :arghh:

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest OldiesRUs

Not like you not to have the camera so you can post a picture to make those of us still in the UK feel jealous!!

Did you go and see my boy while you were eating fish and chips?

House gone on the market today, so fingers crossed guys.

Jean:wubclub:

Did you go and see my boy while you were eating fish and chips?

No, cos I thought I might have to share them, :biglaugh:

I did look in the restaurant, but I think he was hiding in the kitchen, I don't like to stop people from working.

Guest Rob&Ani

Oooooooooo how cool's that. I wish you had put your finger in the picture, coz I'm going to have to hunt for a ruler now just to see how big it actually is!!!!! LOL.

Good on yer Jean, see you then.

I wonder whatever happened to Annie ?

Hi Skippy, Its nice to know you where thinking about me, well I'm here at last! I arrived on 29th August from Canada after a week long visit to my brother there. I'm living with my daughter in Gerringong for now, but I've just found myself a little cottage at Werri Beach, one street back from the ocean - I'm so pleased to be here and would love to meet up with all you guys sometime.

We have a friendly blue tongue in the garden here too!

Cheers for now, Annie

Glad to hear you have landed safe & sound Annie, Werri, what a wonderful place to be, several of my old friends all lived in that area some years ago, Renfrew Rd, the Prosser family being the most well known in the area for their fishing abilities, great family, some of their kids still live in the area.

I was at the water tower that overlooks Werri the other day, watching the whales coming down the coast, plus went through that area several times last week on our way to Jervis Bay and then Shoalhaven Heads a few days later.

Hope everything goes well for you.

For people wondering where Werri Beach is, it's a bit of heaven tucked away on page 24 of this thread

Glad to hear you have landed safe & sound Annie, Werri, what a wonderful place to be, several of my old friends all lived in that area some years ago, Renfrew Rd, the Prosser family being the most well known in the area for their fishing abilities, great family, some of their kids still live in the area.

I was at the water tower that overlooks Werri the other day, watching the whales coming down the coast, plus went through that area several times last week on our way to Jervis Bay and then Shoalhaven Heads a few days later.

Hope everything goes well for you.

For people wondering where Werri Beach is, it's a bit of heaven tucked away on page 24 of this thread

Hi Skippy,

Renfrew Road, thats a coincidence, thats where my cottage by the sea is and your right its a far cry from Mansfield!! Havent met any of the family you mentioned but I'll keep an ear out for them. Got the keys today but won't be moving in until my funtiure arrives at the end of the month - I'm so looking forward to it arriving, can start living the real thing then!

Almost as soon as I got here I joined the local bowling club at Gerringong - the people there are sooo friendly, after only a few weeks I feel like I've known them for years.. I feel very lucky to have arrived in my little patch of paradise and I'm looking forward to making a good life here.

Cheers for now,

Annie

Guest cornishoz
Hi Skippy,

Renfrew Road, thats a coincidence, thats where my cottage by the sea is and your right its a far cry from Mansfield!! Havent met any of the family you mentioned but I'll keep an ear out for them. Got the keys today but won't be moving in until my funtiure arrives at the end of the month - I'm so looking forward to it arriving, can start living the real thing then!

Almost as soon as I got here I joined the local bowling club at Gerringong - the people there are sooo friendly, after only a few weeks I feel like I've known them for years.. I feel very lucky to have arrived in my little patch of paradise and I'm looking forward to making a good life here.

Cheers for now,

Annie

that's a great spot. we love coming over to gerringong for lunch at the deli and to get malt loaf from the bakery and the kids mange to spend a bomb in the surf shop. we looked at lots of houses there but decided we wanted a bit more space for the boys. have you walked up to the headland yet-great views from the new whale watching platform . its lovely to swim in the seapool but still too cold at the moment- for me anyway

Guest OldiesRUs

Almost as soon as I got here I joined the local bowling club at Gerringong -

Woohoo! Another Bowler! Give you a game when we come out Annie.

Guest hannahf

Hi, Just after a bit of advice from those of you already out there. Almost there with our visa now so hoping to be out just before/after xmas. We have rent free accommodation in Moss Vale for the first six weeks and then will be looking to move to the coast. We are looking at albion park, shellharbour, kiama etc just want some advice really on which area has the best public transport my OH will have a company car but we won't be able to afford one for me to start off with. We have a 16 month old so I need to be able to get around fairly easily so just wondering what the buses were like.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Almost as soon as I got here I joined the local bowling club at Gerringong -

Woohoo! Another Bowler! Give you a game when we come out Annie.

Would love to give you a game but I'm very much a beginner although with Indoor Bowls I'd give you a run for your money! lolo Annie

Guest hannahf

Thanks Skippy, Yes I did. Just so excited to get out there. My OH is going to be travelling alot across australia but also to Tasmania and New Zealand and we will be able to go with him so its just going to be the most exciting adventure. I have always worked so being a lady of leisure for a while will be fun!

Guest cornishoz

why not see how you get on renting in moss vale. you may find you like the convenience of being close to OHs work and he won't be getting home tired after longish commute and the frustrations of getting stuck behind a slow driver on the pass. you can always come over to the coast at the weekends. you'll also be straight into the network of his collegues and their families who may live in the highlands area or close by. if youre looking for good bus links then kiama would probably be more restrictive than some of the wollongong suburbs, but is a nice community expect rentals to be 'rare as hens teeth" as the local agents say. a colleague has just moved from canberra to kiama and it took a while to find a house. they were surprised how expensive kiama was but like you wanted to be close to the sea having lived inland for a while and they were prepared to pay more as both are working.

Guest OldiesRUs
Would love to give you a game but I'm very much a beginner although with Indoor Bowls I'd give you a run for your money! lolo Annie

Well, I have only played two seasons, so pretty new to it all too. Haven't got a clue about the tactics of the game. I just let the Skip fantasise and then I bowl.

Don't like playing indoors, only played once, but found it noisy and too much like being in the office. Although, there are so many artificial pitches in Oz that it is like playing indoors outdoors.

Guest hannahf

We got our visa!!!! Soooo excited - flights booked and we land in sydney 1st December. Can't believe it has happened so quickly!

Need your help now if possible - we are going to be put up in Moss Vale but it looks like this is only going to be for the first two weeks so we are going to have to find somewhere to rent really quickly. I have had a look at Moss Vale and the surrounding area but there isn't alot of choice so I am sticking firm with my decision to be nearer the coast. I agree that Kiama may be a bit of a way out if I am going to rely on public transport so we are now focusing on albion park, blackbutt and flinders. There appears to be quite alot of choice so I need to focus down a bit - we are only after 2 or 3 bed so nothing grand. We are going to make appts the week we land so need to have a rough idea of where we are heading for.

In your opinions which of these areas will give me the best accessibility - I need to be able get out and about with a 16 month old or I will go stir crazy - just to walk to some shops would be good.

Thanks Hannah

In your opinions which of these areas will give me the best accessibility - I need to be able get out and about with a 16 month old or I will go stir crazy - just to walk to some shops would be good.

Parts of Flinders, Woodlands & Blackbutt are close to the big shopping precinct at Shellharbour City & close to Shellharbour Village and the beaches, but the women on here could advise you better than me as they live in those areas.

From what I hear, there are buses every hour from Albion Park, the majority of people here drive, so public transport isn't in great demand really, which makes it hard for the ones without their own transport.

Guest melanie marriott

hi Skippy

havn't chatted for some time, we are still going through the visa process and hope to be hearing soon ! it's taken a year to get this far. it does not seem to mins since we were over looking at the Illawarra region and having a few jars in the Windang bowls club with me mates

still havn't sold the houses yet as we are in a major slow down in the uk, so i am not to bothered about the visa process being slow, i was informed today that it could take up to six months, (applied for early July 08), however, should be hearing soon

is oz heading for a major slow and or rescession ?

my hubby is a commy /dom spark and electrical /mechanical engineer and he may look at the oppertunities in the mining industry

and me, occupational health nurse ! hope bluescope steel will be taking on!

however, still looking at all our options and starting to look at Victoria (heads up on this state please?), got my eye on a buisness in Grampaign region

any way keep in touch

and take care

Mel marriott

is oz heading for a major slow and or rescession ?

So they say Mel, but we are just pawns after all, so there's not much we can do about it, we have been assured it won't hit us as hard as the rest of the world, so we'll just have to wait & see. :unsure:

Archived