Illawara region,what is it like?

The Cox's

Guest austibeach

Congratulations Jean.............am I jealous...........you bet !

Perhaps when we finally get there.........whenever that will be.......we can all get together for a PIO meeting in Wollongong.

Good luck,

Eric.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Donna. What is your parents timeline?

Jean:wubclub:

Hi Jean, They received our application on 17 June 2008 and we received acknowledgement on 20 June 2008. A very loooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg wait ahead!! We haven't front loaded medicals/police checks etc as Go Matilda latest news may now mean a 2 year wait, which we weren't really expecting. Am considering submitting the Form 80, just to avoid any further future delays.

How's all the planning and preparation going your end? Donna xx

Wow can't believe what started off a simple question has grown to its own mini forum! We have been in the Illawarra exactly one month today. We are absolutely loving it its everything we thought it would be and so much more every day here is paradise! I have started work at Shellharbour hospital although the ward is not open yet having a few teething problems. My only gripe here is that there is no rush to do things sounds great but can be very frustrating. When I started my job I had no employment contract for 2 weeks!!! There is a lot of beaurocracy here and thats all I'm going to say. Hermie is still looking for a job hopefully be working at the Gong in the near future. We have been so very busy since we arrived its been like a whirlwind you don't realise how much there is to do until you are here. We are now living in Warilla or Rilla as the locals call it and its very convenient for us and Charlie loves it as the beach and lake are only 5 mins walk away. I am so much more active here and have found a new zest for life. I am no longer the fat couch potato I was in the UK although now I am an active fatty YEH!!! I have been cycling, walking and swimming I tend to take up a lot more things too. We have met Skippy and his family they have been an inspiration to us and we are very grateful. Also met up with Cookiecat and her other half they are lovely too! Big congrats to you Jean bet you are sooo excited its a wonderful feeling when you open that email! RVN congrats to you too drop us a line when you get here and we can meet up. There is enough to see and do here to make it last you a lifetime you will never be bored here its bloody awesome!!!

Guest OldiesRUs

Oh, it's going to be a great party when we all eventually get together.

Our house goes on the market this week, so fingers crossed everyone.

Cox's, I am so pleased that everything is going so well for you and you are living the dream.

Jean x:wubclub:

Skippy,

This shot taken of Stanwell Park, is the very first picture we took after we got off the plane in Sydney. We've put it in our Album as it's one of our favourite spots. We even had the train chugging through, much to the delight of our 3 year old.

This is a beautiful view, and a brilliant shot. Hope you've got more!

ani

Thanks Skippy, the pics have brightened up my day. Just shown them to everyone in the office and they are soooo jealous that (fingers crossed) we will be there soon. We were hoping to be out for xmas but looks as if this is fairly unrealistic, just wondering when does autumn settle in and the weather turn cooler? I just can't wait to see my little girl playing on the beach...

just wondering when does autumn settle in and the weather turn cooler?

Probably about April, but who knows, the weather is all over the place these days, we had 33 Sunday, 15 Monday & around 25 today.

My favourite seasons are Autumn & Spring, Summer is too hot for me, but it beats living in the UK.

Guest OldiesRUs

I too have been showing everyone in the office all Skippy's fabulous pictures - I do like to rub it in.

Passports received back yesterday with that lovely little visa firmly stuck in!

Hey Skippy - I can't believe it - that's where we were at the weekend. You're right about the changeable weather - supposed to be 33 on Friday again.

It's a good place to watch the Sydney to Hobart yachts on Boxing Day, racing down to Tassie, hope you enjoyed the last two hot days, now get ready for a bit of storm activity over the next two, hope your dogs aren't melting, the heat knocks ours around and it was born here.

Guest cornishoz
Did you take those wollongong pictures recently? It already looks so much nicer with a bit of sun!!

Now you know why we are misserable in the Winter time Meg & tend to hibernate.

Didn't take the pics too long ago, they have ripped the beach up at the southern end of the harbour & they are starting to improve the look of the place, building more walkways and cycleways, there has been work being done right down to the Entertainment centre since before you came here.

The other end of 7 mile beach comes under the Shoalhaven council, Shoalhaven heads is NOT in the National Park, so walking a dog there shouldn't be an issue.

skippy i read all your posts and love your photos. we live at shoalhaven heads up on the hillside at coolangatta near the wineries .We never tire of the views of seven mile beach from the kingsford smith memorial lookout at gerroa, we know we're nearly home when we reach there and think how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful area. for all the dog walkers this is the shoalhaven council link to all the off leash areas down here. http://shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/council/sections/animals/AccessAreasforDogs.pdf

shoalhaven heads is only just outside the Seven mile National Park .the heads foreshore area is a major migratory bird nesting area and its worth doing one of the guided walks with the nsw parks rangers. if your'e feeling energetic and have all day, park the car at the heads surf club and walk back to gerroa for lunch at the award winning sea haven cafe on riversleigh road just over the beach bridge that crosses the crooked river. just remember you have to walk back!

Hi cornishoz, we went passed your area last week on the way to Jervis Bay, we were going to go and look at the old Coolangatta village, but drove straight passed as we have for the last 30 odd years, is it worth a look ?

Went for a look at Shoalhaven Heads this arvo, it's years since we were there, a friend of mine retired to that Mountain View Park before his death a few years ago, saw an eagle eating a bit of road kill, but it took off when I got the camera out.

I was suprised how many van parks are in that area nowadays, I bet the population quadruples at holiday times, good area for boaties.

Anybody been here yet ?

Fitzroy Falls at Robertson, note the lookout just to the left at the top of the falls.

100_0295.jpg

Hi oohhh yes we have been here!!! We stopped off for a short while on the way back from a dolphin sight seeing trip. I remember the bus climbing up some very steep and whindy roads to get here. We took photies from the look out in your photo skippy..Totally breathtaking even though the view was obscured a little by the mist. There was a small cafe and museum/shop too. I also remember there were some nature trails you can follow but the paths were quite slippy so be careful. Ill like to go back here again as we did not get alot of time here..

Not long now..hopefully...

There was a small cafe and museum/shop too. I also remember there were some nature trails you can follow but the paths were quite slippy so be careful.

I've been there more times than I can remember Helen, each time I go I tell our visitors that I will wait in the cafe, but always get talked into going to the other lookouts where I took the photo from.

That area was just a dirt carpark & a lookout at the other side of the falls, before National Parks cleaned the place up & built the cafe etc, the dam was not there at the time, so it was like Niagra.

Guest cornishoz
Hi cornishoz, we went passed your area last week on the way to Jervis Bay, we were going to go and look at the old Coolangatta village, but drove straight passed as we have for the last 30 odd years, is it worth a look ?

Went for a look at Shoalhaven Heads this arvo, it's years since we were there, a friend of mine retired to that Mountain View Park before his death a few years ago, saw an eagle eating a bit of road kill, but it took off when I got the camera out.

I was suprised how many van parks are in that area nowadays, I bet the population quadruples at holiday times, good area for boaties.

always good to pop into coolangatta for the wine tasting with some of the local Unicorn Brie ! the semillion varieties are v good as is their port. the history of coolangatta is fascinating- the first european settlement on the south coast on 10000 acres of land granted to David Berry on condition he took 100 convicts. the settlement buildings have all been restored by the owner of the winery . the old school aross the road has recently changed hands and i think they plan to reopen it as a visitor centre. the sea eagles are stunning to watch as they soar on the thermals . there's at least 2 prs that roost on the mountain near us. yes the village fills up every holiday weekend- not this one so much because of the rain which washed out the red cross markets which are held every long weekend. never too wet to fish though. fortunately a developer has shelved plans to build a marina village near the boat ramp which would change the village forever and environmently damage the shoalhaven river IMHO

We were wondering what kind of eagle it was, we will have to go and look at the village, I love seeing & hearing how the small towns originated.

Even though I'm a yachtie, I totaly agree with you about the marina, although I'm looking forward to the one being built at Shellharbour, that will be an assett for this area in my opinion.

We live in a wonderful part Oz don't we ?

Guest OldiesRUs

We live in a wonderful part Oz don't we ?

Yes you do - and with a bit of luck, we'll be living there too come February and can go and visit all these wonderful places!!

Archived