Form 80 has been updated - more information needed

MaggieMay24

This is going to cause us serious issues...living in the UK both of us have travelled throughout Europe frequently...we have no date stamps in our passports! How on earth can we recall every trip we've taken since we were 7 and 12?? It's going to be impossible!! I'm going to speak to our agent to get advice as we may inadvertently miss a few things off....

It took us hours to do Form 80, I did it for my wife and I proactively (front loaded) so no idea whether they needed it or not. I merged a spreadsheet into the end with my travel calendar (which I gave 10 years of, 30 pages long). I imagine it would be a nightmare if you don't have reason to keep records.

It took us hours to do Form 80, I did it for my wife and I proactively (front loaded) so no idea whether they needed it or not. I merged a spreadsheet into the end with my travel calendar (which I gave 10 years of, 30 pages long). I imagine it would be a nightmare if you don't have reason to keep records.

Wow, 30 years is a lot! I guess the only thing you can do is give it your best with whatever information/records you have.

When I applied for PR it was 10 years. I was able to get around the last 9 years by searching for booking references in my gmail account - i.e. seraching for anything from airlines such as Easyjet, Ryanair, any holiday companies I could remember, along with any stamps in my passport. Managed to pretty much sort it, but it was a pain to obtain all that information!

With regard to visits to Europe where there are no stamps, I doubt they have any visibility of such trips, so if you miss a few I'm fairly certain there will be no comeback.

This is going to cause us serious issues...living in the UK both of us have travelled throughout Europe frequently...we have no date stamps in our passports! How on earth can we recall every trip we've taken since we were 7 and 12?? It's going to be impossible!! I'm going to speak to our agent to get advice as we may inadvertently miss a few things off....

Just take a rough guess for your European trips, nobody will ever know any different if you are not spot on.

Thanks Rupert, Yep, that's what we're going to have to do! There are only 3 places we've been outside of the EU and we know pretty much spot on when they were.

It's also quite amusing that they want to know employment history from BIRTH and that Form 80 now states that 'unemployment' includes from the date you were born until your very first job (in my case at age 16)....you have to say how you were supported during any 'unemployment'!! So birth to 1992 will say 'child - supported by parents'....

To be honest I can't see how they can examine in any detail a travel history with no passport stamps or record within the EU as such. I assume - perhaps wrongly! - that what they will do is glance through your list of travel and look for any unusual activity. So ours - a great big list of city breaks and trips to Greece/Spain/etc for holidays isn't exactly going to raise the red flag.

Ditto with the employment record since birth - I think they're looking for any periods where you were unemployed for a long time. Interesting that they want you to specify how you supported yourself during these periods - I guess they want to see that you are self sufficient and capable of working. I think in the UK employers don't have to keep records dating back beyond a certain number of years so good luck if they want to check with Kendals in Manchester to check that I really did work there as a Saturday job when I was 16...!! This is so much fun already....!!!

thank God I just submitted mine last thursday... even though it's only for the past 10 years, I had to submit 2.5 pages long of travelling... can't imagine if it was 30 years... that's from the time i was born till now LOL

Just been wading through it. Crikey O'Reilly that's double tough now. I've only just applied this week, and in anticipation had been wading through the old form for the last few weeks or so on and off. It was 95% done. Gutted. This is so much tougher, and so much more information I need off my parents. Holidays back to when I was 6? We went on a foreign holiday at least once a year, plus school exchanges, trips etc., that is double tough. Remembering what dates I was a paperboy, ouch.

There is no way that we will be able to do this accurately - I couldn't even tell you the year of the French exchange or any of our long weekends in Europe or when I went to visit my sister in Prague or Slovakia, or when I hitchhiked to various European countries as a student. So basically this is an exercise in guessing which seems completely pointless on an immigration form.

How did you manage to detail all the countries you visited for just a day? It's almost impossible for me to remember where I've been, let alone when.

I asked this question before and somebody advised to write a note attached to the form 80 saying that to the best of my knowledge etc. but I think there's between 150-180 countries that I've been to....possibly up to 200.

Just wondering what advice you have for this?

OMG ...I so feel for you all having to do this.

i freaked enough doing the old 10 year one...

our agent said it had to be accurate!! We did it as best we could, but no way, with all the weekends away as well as main hols did we get it 100%.

we did put "to our best knowledge"......blah blah blah.

i do believe its unusual activity they are looking for, but can't understand why they can't just get the info from some database, its not like big brother doesn't know where the frig we've been.

even without passport stamps, everything is logged.

Is it usual for CO to ask Form 80 for a British? I thought this is only for non-reliable countries.

Apparantly more and more so unfortunately. I was trying to get mine filled out so that if asked, it could just be supplied rather than having to do it in a rush, hence doing it over some time. Now, having just submitted the visa application, I'm not impressed. Employment since birth? I'm tempted to put some random stuff in there to see if they are actually going to read it, as no company keeps records going back 20, let alone 30, 40, 50 years. Absolute madness. Apart from if someone like above keeps a holiday diary, then how the heck are you going to know where and when you've been, given that it asks for dd/mm/yyyy too.

Can you tell I'm really unhappy at this? ;)

I've just put in on the extra sheet at the back the month/year for all EU travel that I can recall (not enough space within the main form!!), with a note at the start that says: "EU travel dates are approximate as there are no passport stamps within the EU"

For our travel to Bali, New York and Egypt we can be more accurate.....

It's going to have to do. Employment since birth. Ha! Explain why you were unemployed from 1976 to 1994...erm...I was a kid?!! LOL.

I feel for everyone doing this right now. I've been drafting this form since 9am this morning. It's now nearly 2pm and I have a headache. They'd better ask for this after all my research grrr!

Glad I applied before the revision, mine took me almost 2 hours to fill. I didn't know whether I would be asked to provide it, but I uploaded beforehand all the documents including Form 80 right when I lodged my application and I received the grant without being contacted before it at all.

How did you manage to detail all the countries you visited for just a day? It's almost impossible for me to remember where I've been, let alone when.

I asked this question before and somebody advised to write a note attached to the form 80 saying that to the best of my knowledge etc. but I think there's between 150-180 countries that I've been to....possibly up to 200.

Just wondering what advice you have for this?

To be honest it's a nightmare, I spent days going through ships itineraries, e-mails and joining letters. I also have the records that I kept for the seafarer SED tax claims such as boarding passes and OLB freeboard page photocopies. Eventually I put together a travel calendar in excel, saved it as a PDF and merged into Form 80. Also had to do the same for my wife who I met on the cruise ships and had a lot of travel, so double whammy.

Good luck, I wouldn't worry about being too accurate.

To be honest it's a nightmare, I spent days going through ships itineraries, e-mails and joining letters. I also have the records that I kept for the seafarer SED tax claims such as boarding passes and OLB freeboard page photocopies. Eventually I put together a travel calendar in excel, saved it as a PDF and merged into Form 80. Also had to do the same for my wife who I met on the cruise ships and had a lot of travel, so double whammy.

Good luck, I wouldn't worry about being too accurate.

Same situation, I met my wife on the cruise ships too. But luckily she's a kiwi so can apply for a 444 visa (which is free) so I save a few pennies there!

I don't have any freeboard notices or OLB because I spent the majority of my career on cruise ships and was NT tax code so I never had to prove my overseas travel to HMRC.

I reckon if I delved deep enough into the internet if be able to pull out some itineraries that passengers have posted on cruisecritic.com or something like that....cruise passengers are pretty keen on letting others know where they've been and when! Also might have some old brochures at my parents house and they generally have the itinerary on the back.

I have heaps of visa stamps in my old passport so that will help no end I imagine. I'll just do what I can for that and add a note saying how difficult it is to be completely accurate with dates, but as you know, we hardly spend more than a day in any one place. Overnights in port are a luxury!

I wonder if our mutual friend has itineraries from when we sailed on the same ship albeit only for a few weeks. I'll email him.

Archived