Where to live near Brisbane?

w1johnston

Hi everyone,

We have our flights booked and will arrive in Brisbane on 15th September but we don't have a clue where we want to live so if any of you can offer advice it will be gratefully received.

A little bit about us, we are in our 30's with a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old, we are not city people, nor country folks either, the suburbs would suit us nicely. I am a security technician and do not have a job to go to (yet), so no real starting point there. Our Daughter will start school in Feb so somewhere with a good school would be important.

We stayed on the Sunshine Coast a couple of years ago and loved it but I think that would be too far out for the type of work I am looking for as there do not seem to be many employers round that way, however, my initial thoughts are to get a holiday rental there for the first month or two while I get my licencing sorted and look for a job.

Sorry if I have missed anything obvious out, it is getting late here.

Thanks

W1

Hi W1

I think you have mentioned the best plan above - 'get a holiday let for a month or so' until you find work and know which areas you will need to have access to, whilst there you have time to drive around and look at lots of different suburbs to see what suits you and your family. Committing to a longer term let and then having to travelling across the city will be no fun. Definately find work first, then look for areas .

Lots of luck with everything, its an exciting ,yet scarey time,lol

Cal x

I agree about work too.

We are about 20km north Brisbane and about an hour from the Sunshine Coast and some lovely areas around here - Albany Creek, Eatons Hill, Ferny Hills etc. All have state schools with good reputations.

A lot of people like North Lakes, Mango Hill and areas up there as well.

Thanks for the input Cal & Alaska.

I went ahead and got a quote for a holiday let at the place we stayed the last time, unfortunately we arrive 5 days before the holiday fortnight so for 28 days the quote for is $4300!!!! and that is with a discount. I will shop about but I doubt anyone will discount the holiday period so that brings me back to looking for a rental. Is there much chance i would be able to find a rental in our first 5 days? Can anyone say if all rentals start with a 6 month tenancy?

What sort of place are you looking at for arrival accommodation? have a look at Brisbane Holiday Village, they have great cabins. Also look at SEQ Rents.com, sometimes ,although not often, they have 3 mth lets available. Have you approached any private holiday lets for prices? Stayz.com has plenty of ad's. More than anything remember its only for a month so doesn't have to tick all your boxes as long as you can make do for a while.

You are going to be pushing it to secure somewhere longer term in 5 days ,if your not sure of areas,rushing into something and ending up being in the wrong place and stuck there for 6 months, not to mention your first 6 months would not be easy on a family at all.

Hope this helps a bit and throws a few more ideas out there for you

Cal x

We found somewhere and moved in, in 3 weeks and that was pretty speedy. It took 2 weeks from the viewing to sort out the checks and paperwork so I would say 5 days would be pretty tough!

We stayed at the Tribeca Apartments at Spring Hill for those 3 weeks - very reasonable. Pretty basic but did the job.

Around here it seems to be 1 year contracts but you could probably get 6 months. I think you would struggle to find one for less than 6 months unless it was advertised that way (occasionally they are) or there is a very low demand.

I went ahead and got a quote for a holiday let at the place we stayed the last time, unfortunately we arrive 5 days before the holiday fortnight so for 28 days the quote for is $4300!!!! and that is with a discount. I will shop about but I doubt anyone will discount the holiday period so that brings me back to looking for a rental. Is there much chance i would be able to find a rental in our first 5 days? Can anyone say if all rentals start with a 6 month tenancy?

Try AirBnB or the like for something short term.

You get the odd person that finds a place and moves in within a week, but it is not the norm. I think three weeks is more typical.

The holiday let for four people for 28 days sounds like excellent value, this is $150 a night in holiday season, surely you won't get much better from there? It just sounds a lot in a lump sum. Finding your place to live is a really important decision and can make the difference between a happy settling in and a very unhappy transition. Don't rush it, pay for the holiday let and find the place that is right for you.

Hi everyone, thanks again for all your input on this. Having shopped around over the last day or two It does seem that the price given for the holiday let on the Sunny Coast is good value, I just need to remind myself that we are spending $ not £!

I am very tempted to go ahead and book it as it is a lovely place that we know and they have a pool too but I have to consider that my search for work will need to be as far as the Gold Coast so staying nearer Brisbane would probably be sensible. It is a tough one, I could wait and see if I get a job offer first but inevitably by then there will be less availability and the prices will have gone up. I suppose it is only for a few weeks though and even if I do end up needing to do a hefty commute it would only be short term.

If you want to stay in the Brisbane CBD (or Gold Coast for that matter) you can't go past Meriton apartments, we stayed in one for 2 months when we moved up to QLD and still stay there when we want a night in the city. They're modern, well equipped and very good value, my wife organises travel for some fairly high flighers and have placed some in Meriton, who've also been happy. They also do discounts for 28+ day stays, parking is extra (and pretty expensive anywhere in the CBD).

There are 2 in Brissy and 2 on the Gold Coast - not sure if that's what you're after but highly recommended.

I wouldn't bank on finding a rental in 5 days, each time we did it it took about 3 weeks.

Try AirBnB or the like for something short term.

Stay somewhere temporarily until you know where you're going to be working. I've used Airbnb and it is pretty good and cost effective. You're not in holiday season in Sept, so perhaps people may do a deal on a longer term stay? It is very tempting to choose somewhere lovely (like Sunshine Coast) and think you'll commute to Brisbane but the reality is that the commute stinks for many (as does the commute up from the Gold Coast) Distances may seem short but traffic is heavy - and you'll have better quality of life positioning yourself near a train or busway in a nice suburb in reasonable commuting distance and spending weekends away. People in Brisbane tend to be Northside or Southside biased - reality is that there are lovely places either side of the river but if you want to spend a lot of time in the sunny coast, basing yourself Northside would make sense.

Thanks ozziepom I'll have a look.

As gorgeous and amazing as the sunshine coast is, its not commutable 5 days a week on top of your day job once in the traffic route.

Great for a holiday though and to go at weekends.

I live it Lutwyche at the moment, inbox me any questions w1Johnson regarding brisbane :)

As gorgeous and amazing as the sunshine coast is, its not commutable 5 days a week on top of your day job once in the traffic route.

Great for a holiday though and to go at weekends.

I live it Lutwyche at the moment, inbox me any questions w1Johnson regarding brisbane :)

Fully agree on Sunny Coast. Much more enjoyable to just go at the weekends when you fancy. Commute would kill me I think.

I live in Wooloowin pretty much neighbours!

I stayed with a friend's family for a while in Bridgeman Downs (North Brisbane) and that was a nice area although the Colman's English mustard in the local shop was WELL out of date.

I used to get a bus into the city and it took about 40-45 mins. Which doesn't seem a lot when you live there as you tend to travel ages to get to places and not too much of it.

Archived