Having a baby in uk

Scotty777

HI all

hopefully someone can answer my question, I am an Aussie citizen and my fiancé is a uk citizen, we are planning to migrate to aus on a 309 100 visa, I am on a working holiday in uk at the moment.

My my question is, if we have the baby in uk now what would its citizen status be? As we would be moving back out to aus once born?

would we be able to travel between countries with the baby?

what would the cost be for dual passports?

cheers

Yea I got an aus passport and her uk

Once the baby has been born and we head back to aus, will the baby need forms or application to approve its citizenship or can we apply for its passport straight away?

Thanks for the quick replys

Cheers mate

but when we return to aus will be on a 309 100

No what she meant was check your visa conditions whilst you are in the UK. It might be that you are not allowed to be in UK with a child. The Australian WHV has this condition, we are not as familiar with the UK WHV but could be the same.

Oh right yea we wouldn't be on the Whv in the uk will be on a fiancé visa getting married,

In your first post you said you are on the UK WHV? You have also said that you and she will have the baby in UK, so when is your UK WHV going to change into a fiancé visa and is it worth it if you are planning to leave anyway. You need to check whether you are allowed to be in the UK on a WHV with a baby.

We are not talking a baby for another 9 months or so

yea currently on a Whv

but by the time we have the little one it will be on a fiancé or partnership visa,

money won't be an issue for the applications, as we are moving to aus permantly but my partner wants the baby in uk,

just wanted a heads up on the go

Let me re sum up the situation,

basically

Currently in uk

lived in aus the last 2 years,

Migrating to aus

my partner has two requests, marriage in uk and baby in uk

but permantly live in aus,

sorry for for the blury first post,

We just want to know what the situation is going to be,

cheers

Assuming neither of you are citizens by descent yourselves, the baby would have dual citizenship.

Not exactly true.

Aussie citizenship is not automatic like UK citizenship by descent is.

You have to apply for Australian citizenship for your child, and it will be granted.

However your child will not be an Australian citizen until you apply for his/her citizenship.

Not exactly true.

Aussie citizenship is not automatic like UK citizenship by descent is.

You have to apply for Australian citizenship for your child, and it will be granted.

However your child will not be an Australian citizen until you apply for his/her citizenship.

It will be granted if the Australian is not a citizen by descent who has not lived in Aus for at least (5?+) years but, yes, an application for citizenship is required.

If the baby is born in the UK, it will be a British citizen 'otherwise than by descent' automatically and you can immediately apply for a British passport for him/her. S/he would be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent but that does NOT happen automatically. You will have to apply for Australian citizenship by descent for him/her and can only apply for an Australian passport after it has been granted. http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_citz.html Applying for Australian citizenship by descent in the UK

Archived