5 worst places to live in the Uk

starlight7

I listed Blackpool earlier and I stand by that but others have also been mentioned since, the seaside towns really are struggling in the North West. I remember family holidays 15 years ago to Morecombe and it was lovely, in recent times it is run down, shabby and everywhere is closed. Council's just don't know how to invest in these areas. Blackpool, has had a facelift in certain areas of the promenade, however you go a few streets behind the seafront and the deprivation is not what I remember growing up. I went to a reasonable school but 75% of the children I went to school are living in what appear to be deprived houses despite getting a reasonable education. As for the children that grew up in the worst areas, they really have got no hope from what it appears. I think it is a major problem and one that locals don't see unless they move away from the area. Nottingham, has its problems as with any other town/city but they do not appear anywhere near the scale of Blackpool.

I listed Blackpool earlier and I stand by that but others have also been mentioned since, the seaside towns really are struggling in the North West. I remember family holidays 15 years ago to Morecombe and it was lovely, in recent times it is run down, shabby and everywhere is closed. Council's just don't know how to invest in these areas. Blackpool, has had a facelift in certain areas of the promenade, however you go a few streets behind the seafront and the deprivation is not what I remember growing up. I went to a reasonable school but 75% of the children I went to school are living in what appear to be deprived houses despite getting a reasonable education. As for the children that grew up in the worst areas, they really have got no hope from what it appears. I think it is a major problem and one that locals don't see unless they move away from the area. Nottingham, has its problems as with any other town/city but they do not appear anywhere near the scale of Blackpool.

I completely agree with that. British seaside towns don't get the kind of investment needed to survive. The only industry they have in general is tourism. No investment = no tourists = no income = no investment......and repeat.

I remember being sick with excitement in the car on the way to Blackpool when I was young.

I took my son a few months ago and hoped he'd have the same feelings as I did but I don't think he did, it seems so run down and bare.

It's very sad. Much like the rest of the UK it's dying, but I suppose this is why we are here on this forum....because we all want to/already live in Australia.

If the UK was like it was 20-30 years ago I think i'd be happy to stay.

I completely agree with that. British seaside towns don't get the kind of investment needed to survive. The only industry they have in general is tourism. No investment = no tourists = no income = no investment......and repeat.

I remember being sick with excitement in the car on the way to Blackpool when I was young.

I took my son a few months ago and hoped he'd have the same feelings as I did but I don't think he did, it seems so run down and bare.

It's very sad. Much like the rest of the UK it's dying, but I suppose this is why we are here on this forum....because we all want to/already live in Australia.

30 years ago,honest?thatcher in power,the Brighton bombing,the miners strikes,record unemployment of three and a quarter million,and more importantly still,yer couldn't turn on the radio without hearing that woeful group..Bucks Fizz,nah keep 1984

Btw,to say the uk is "dying" is just a bit too strong,i think anyway

Merging with Birmingham

In 1974, Sutton Coldfield became part of Birmingham, despite the objections of local residents, when the metropolitan county of the West Midlands was formed. More recently, Sutton Coldfield has undergone changes. Areas of the town centre have been pedestrianised and the Gracechurch Centre, now The Mall, has been improved.

You're right Bunbury 61 Little Aston is not in Birmingham. Little Aston is located in the very south of Staffordshire, contiguous with Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham, and is thus part of the West Midlands Conurbation.

but it isn't Birmingham is it ...like Solihull isn't Birmingham ...nor is Sutton Coldfield ...they maybe the west midlands , like west Bromwich and Wolverhampton are the west midlands ...but they are not Birmingham are they ....

30 years ago,honest?thatcher in power,the Brighton bombing,the miners strikes,record unemployment of three and a quarter million,and more importantly still,yer couldn't turn on the radio without hearing that woeful group..Bucks Fizz,nah keep 1984

I see your point, but I was 6 then. No bills, no worries!!

I'll rephrase....I wish I was a kid again!

Some photographs of the nicer bits of Brum - I know there are grot spots but Brum always gets such a bad press I couldn't resist posting these:-

. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQauei9gCPH1IaC9NFvtzq51yV-KDSPxhIq_JS5pwnbFiPadbiXPQ Aston Hall

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlqgtJQywnzALnjeF9Oy8HsPpGDOyvJGpRKEw9yiYXd0bg6gMt Gas Street Basin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFc2SdATk2RWJNKIlmlNV-XX8owzgjS5qOeZOZGeqTWZxvdxYe Barr Beacon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTJCAXjymAvo3irzIxwpnKWz-iPqvatcU_L2gWka7M-M5NZ95vdw Sutton Park

And I'm a scouser!

very nice ..have you actually spent time in aston ...never mind the hall.....its a dump ....Sutton park is quite nice ....and the city centre is a pleasure , they have even done up digbeth coach station ....but I reiterate , the only place in Birmingham ( real Birmingham ) that I would live in , is Bournville .

I see your point, but I was 6 then. No bills, no worries!!

I'll rephrase....I wish I was a kid again!

Nostalgia eh,tis a wonderful thing,alas, memories are relative to a lot of things,age being one of them,i was 22,had to chase all over England for work,none in Liverpool at the time(surprise!),looking for positives though,i'm sure that's around about the time they brought out Findus crispy pancakes?:twitcy:

Six in 1984 though,deffo a good year to be six!:wink:

Oh I didn't mean the UK as a whole, I meant Blackpool and other places in the UK especially seaside towns. There's loads of growth elsewhere.... Liverpool being one of them ;-)

Collecting and swapping panini stickers and sitting on my dad's shoulders in the Kop.

Sigh.......

My last match was Athens CL final 07,gave it up then,save the £ to migrate(in theory),i'm lucky,started going at ten in 1972,season tckt off me nan for my 14th b/day in 1976 was £14.20:laugh:,but i seen all the glory days/nights,there at them all,had a week in Istanbul for the 05 final lately too,so i've been fortunate,now the good times "might" be round the corner again,time will tell,but i live in hope:smile:

Anyway,i'm off this thread,not my cup of tea,i'm just a nose disease,tara!

My last match was Athens CL final 07,gave it up then,save the £ to migrate(in theory),i'm lucky,started going at ten in 1972,season tckt off me nan for my 14th b/day in 1976 was £14.20:laugh:,but i seen all the glory days/nights,there at them all,had a week in Istanbul for the 05 final lately too,so i've been fortunate,now the good times "might" be round the corner again,time will tell,but i live in hope:smile:

Anyway,i'm off this thread,not my cup of tea,i'm just a nose disease,tara!

Yeah those were the days.....hopefully coming around again.

You'll have seen my dad's cousin play......Jimmy Case.

Yeah those were the days.....hopefully coming around again.

You'll have seen my dad's cousin play......Jimmy Case.

Loved Jimbo!,came back to haunt us too,sold too early,took no prisoners at all,but asked no quarter himself,hard lad!

Loved Jimbo!,came back to haunt us too,sold too early,took no prisoners at all,but asked no quarter himself,hard lad!

We've gone completely off topic now. I never had the pleasure of seeing him at Liverpool sadly, Sammy lee had already taken his place!

Anyway I think we'll start annoying other posters with football talk. I'll stop now, Take care.

We've gone completely off topic now. I never had the pleasure of seeing him at Liverpool sadly, Sammy lee had already taken his place!

Anyway I think we'll start annoying other posters with football talk. I'll stop now, Take care.

And you,good luck

And folk back then were saying the same thing. Has it ever been any different? Folk then looked back on the 60's with nostalgia.

Five worst places in the UK? Probably the ones where unemployment is high, there’s little money in the local economy and kids are growing up with few opportunities.

Good comment! I get angry about places with plenty of opportunities yet a lot of kids and adults want to doss around like there are none.

And folk back then were saying the same thing. Has it ever been any different? Folk then looked back on the 60's with nostalgia.

There is an element of nostalgia, most definitely. It's all relative to your own experiences of life though I suppose.

I thought the 80's were brilliant, but I had a different outlook then, and I don't think if have relished being an adult in that era.

I'm sure my parents would love to back in the 60's because they never stop talking about it!

Ironically though they almost made a move to Oz in the mid 70's because they thought the same about the UK as I do now!

Grotbox is a perfect description for Ipswich, the upside is the choice of A12 or A14 to leave the place.

Southall is on par too, along with luton, my thinking is anywhere that looks awful on a sunny day, really is past regeneration and just needs flattening!

Glad to hear Leicester has improved- also centre of Birmingham. We tend to capture a picture of a place as it was the the last time we visited. sorry to hear about Blackpool, I used to go there when I was a kid and it was ok then- a bit rough and tumble but very lively. As a teenager I remember Yates winelodge, happy (drunken) days!

I heard rumours that Yate's in Blackpool had a big fire. Not sure on the validity of this info as I overheard it in Starbucks maybe as long as a year or more ago. I also went there whilst I was studying at Fleetwood Nautical College. Good times.

Okay Bunbury 61 Sutton did not merge with Birmingham in 1974 - it was all a figment of our imagination. My original comment is still valid - every city has good and bad areas mixed and Brum has some beautiful places. See above photos of Barr Beacon and Aston Hall. That's Aston Hall in Aston, or is that not in the real Birmingham either?

Birmingham's a fantastic city.

Archived