IELTS examiner late...

Elias

My better half took her IELTS test yesterday, the organisation seemed a bit **** to be honest.

The first part was at 9am, the second part was 17.10

That aside, she was a bit bemused by the examiner for the speaking part. The examiner arrived ten minutes late, proceeded to piss about closing windows and blinds, before finally sitting down to start the test. During the test, it seemed like she was trying to catch up on the time, I'm told it almost turned in to a competition to see who could speak the fastest.

When they are so adamant about not been late for the test, surely it not too much to expect IELTS representatives to act in the same manner.

Guest guest30085

Regarding your first part, all speaking tests are carried out at a separate time to the reading/writing/listening tests. There were approximately 80 people took the test at the same time as I did mine, they then have to see each candidate individually for the speaking test. I had a similar wait, others had to take their speaking test on a different day, so I was grateful for a same day slot.

As for the examiner being late, from what I could see, they were there all day, first invigilating in the morning and then sitting in for the speaking tests. It may be that he was covering for someone else or had a rest break, I doubt it was anything meant to disrupt your OH. The speaking part only lasted a few minutes anyway.

Hopefully they will get the results they need

Not that it matters, but the speaking part was actually in a different location to the first part.

These examiners for speaking were not involved during the test in the morning. They had 20 people to see each between 13.00 - 18.00

We have thought about a complaint, but this could just come across as sour grapes if the required results are not achieved.

Not that it matters, but the speaking part was actually in a different location to the first part.

These examiners for speaking were not involved during the test in the morning. They had 20 people to see each between 13.00 - 18.00

We have thought about a complaint, but this could just come across as sour grapes if the required results are not achieved.

Chill out. I also had a wait like that on the day, I just went and did something inbetween, had I needed to come back to a different building then I would have done so, I am sure there was a reason. So what if examiner was ten minutes late, it is no big deal is it? There are some things in life worth getting upset about, this really does not seem like one of them.

I did mine in Leeds, speaking was at 17.30 so from 13.30 till 1700 I was able to do my shopping, have a bit of lunch and a chill out and a bit of a wander around the town. No dramas and I was able to put my shopping in a safe place whilst I did the speaking test.

It's just another hoop to jump through and part of the quest to get yourself down under. I hope you get the result you require and good luck.

Hi, I know what you mean. The organisation of mine was an absolute disaster. Our morning tests were supposed to finish at 1, but we only got out of the room at 1:35. Then I had to collect my bag and get across London for my speaking test at 2:15 - which they said I should get to 45 minutes early.... like, how?

I was annoyed as I completely crashed in the speaking test as I was exhausted and hadn't eaten since the early hours.

I did think of complaining but complaints should be made to the test centre... duh, aren't they the ones we're complaining about???

In the end I was happy with my grades. I think the IELTS tests are VERY good, but the test centres are just big money making cash cows.

I wouldn't even remember if mine had been 10 minutes late. That is nothing. What I DO remember is that just after I did it they changed the visa process so the ielts had been a total waste of my time and money.

If ten minutes is all you have to worry about in life you are very fortunate indeed.

I took ielts 3 times, and every time i was the last one on the list, as I lived really close to the exam place... so 3-4 hours waiting.

the exam time may vary if people are speaking too short, or long. My turns were always 10 mins earlier than my "scheduled" time tho.

>During the test, it seemed like she was trying to catch up on the time, I'm told it almost turned in to a competition to see who could speak the fastest.

They aren't try the time shorter or longer.

when i spoke the 2 mins story (part 2), she cut off exactly 2 mins as the section should not be excessively long.

other part is the same. part 3, they checked time. my first ielts speaking, the examiner stopped me to speak ("she started saying "thank you, that is all your speaking test") during I was answering. I didn't think it wasn't fair. As everyone has about 15mins (20?) max for the speaking test anyway. Examiner checks stop watch all the time during test>. Part one should be done by 6mins (for example), part 2 should be done 12 mins, finish all test by 15mins etc etc, they must have rules...

Probably won't make you feel any better, but when my family member needed to take the test, there was nothing available anywhere in Oz for 3 months, yes it was awhile ago, so as time was short, had to go to the expense of flying to NZ. Flew in tookthe speaking part that afternoon then the rest the next day andthen flew straight back afterwards, so he certainly wouldn't have complained about a bit of a wait balanced against the cost that he had.

hope the rest of the process goes smoothly, but for some of us that would qualify as a very minor irritation, when it took 3/12 years to get PR because of all the retrospective changes made a few years ago that affected thousands who had already lodged and paid for valid visa applications and had to put their lives on hold.

you are lucky that the system is easier than it was a few years ago.

hope he gets a good result.

I think in the grand scheme of things, this little delay is nothing to get worked up about. There are plenty of little things in life you have to wait for (dr's appt's, buses etc) and think your other half is just going to have to let it go (otherwise her and your poor stress levels are going to be sky high and you're only yet early on in the process!)

• 2 weeks later...
Seems our concerns were not needed, she scored 9.0 for Speaking

Good. I expect the examiner was immediately able to tell that your partner could converse in her native language and didn't see the point in dragging it out. When I finished my speaking he told me I would get full marks "as every native speaker should"

Archived