contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

It's nothing personal Les!

In an ideal world all DIAC offices would liaise with each other. The reality is that they don't. And in such circumstances an agent who goes into bat for his or her clients can more than save the fees s/he has charged.

Some will say it shouldn't be that way, and it probably shouldn't. The rest of us live in the real world. :yes:

Onwards!

Thanks Alan, funny our accountant uses the same arguments each year (and is normally right).:wubclub:

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello Sarah

Your Mum can go with you to Oz, travelling on a tourist visa that will give her a stay of 12 unbroken months in Oz if you ask for that.

When her CPV is ready to be granted Mum will just need to nip to Auckland, Fiji, Singapore or Bali for a week - wherever is closest - so that her CPV can be granted whilst she is outside Australia. The visa label can be put in to her passport in any of the places I have mentioned (there is in-person counter service in all of them.) Then she can go straight back to Oz using her new CP visa.

If CPV processing becomes protracted meaning that one 12 month tourist visa is't enough, a quick nip to any of the places above will get Mum another tourist visa for another 12 months on the spot.

Please see here:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

If your Mum is 70 or over, she will need to get her own GP (not a Panel Doctor) to complete a simple form of Medical Certificate, which is here:

dima_health - Australian High Commission

Note that the website says that tourists of 70 or over must have medical insurance for a long-stay visit to Oz. This does not apply to British tourists. The reason is because there is a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between theUK and Oz, which counts as medical insurance for the purpose of a turist visa. Please see here:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

When your Mum reaches Oz, if she takes her passport to Medicare they will give her a temporary Medicare card.

Your Mum's meds for her main visa can be done in Australia. Health Services Australia do them and I have heard that it is cheaper than getting them done in the UK.

To make the application for the tourist visa, personally I would do it by paper & post, using Form 48 and paying $75.00 (the current fee though that will increase a bit on 1st July 2008.) Send the form, her passport, the medical cerificate if needed and all the other stuff in the checklist to the Australian High Commission in London, with a covering letter explaining about the CPV application.

Ask for 12 unbroken months in Oz and it will be granted automatically because there is a special concession for people who have applied for Parent or Contributory Parent visas, so that they can all-but move to Oz during the wait if they want to.

Do not interfere with the CPV application. Just leave that running in the background. That will just rumble on till the POPC is ready to grant it (the Perth Offshore Parents Centre, where your Mum's CPV application is being processed.) Tthe method which I am describing is the proper way to "bridge" the wait for a CP visa.

Our member June Coates is in Oz at the moment using this arrangement. SAVTA did it before June (and SAVTA needed to get a second 12 month tourist visa , so she & her hubby made two trips to Auckland in the end, one for the second tourist visa and the other for their CPV.) My mother did it before June & SAVTA and LOADS of British CPV applicants have either done this or are doing it currently.

It is no sweat at all though I do think it is easier just to pay a bit extra for a paper application so that the whole thing will be dealt with by a human in London. Just send a copy of the CPV acknowledgement letter with the tourist visa application. They are quick about the processing. Your Mum should get her passport back within 2 weeks and you can then book her flight.

Meanwhile, SAVTA's threads might amuse you. Please see here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/arrival-chat/17232-arrived-mid-august-loving-every-minute.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/25677-we-were-tram-melbourne.html

Best wishes

Gill

Hi There,

Does anyone have any update on this. Does anyone know if the above is still the case.

• 1 month later...

Actually it was the day after I had the thought that I was in the garden..... the previous night I had meen lurking and going through the forum and I passed through one asking about the time from entry to citizenship.

Having cut the soddin grass including about 50 acres owned by the local authority ...

I sat under the patio cover dripping with a cold one in hand ( water and lime!).

Pondering something that had suddenly popped up ... in my head about the citizenship post.

Not being a visa guru and to idle / stupid to bother about any visa details other than the one applied for.... its seems to me that CPV entrants should have a perk!

Consider this, - unlike most other visa applicants... CPV,ers have to have kidz in Aus at least 2 years before parents can apply... it then takes upto 18 months to get your hands on the visa and only then after parting with a bucket load of cash.

Who else pays $10k ( $14k for a couple) into a bond account for 10 years.

Now bearing in mind that most parents joiong family are not spring chickens - there may be some who may not even be around in 10 years!!!

Not being a citizen can mean one or too "perks" are missed out on.

And it begs the question - WHY?

WHY do CPVers have to wait ( 4 years ?) before qualifying for citizenship...afterall, we pay to live here and join our family...we are less likely to pack up and mumble the lament about missing friends and family....and the rain in Manchester.

We are here for the duration and we have paid more than anybody else to be here.

So I thought that there should be a better deal for CPVers..... citizenship can be applied for after 2 years! ( I did think one year but.....)

After all its taken is at least 3.5 years from application to visa.

Add that to quaifying time = 7.5 years!

At least the bond will be in sight..assuming the eyes can cope and you had enough cash to buy specs.

OK, discount the visa application time...but insert a waiver for 2 years due to the average age of parents and - without being to blunt - life expectancy and the financial contribution that collectively CPVer add to the Aus kitty...$500 Million I reckon.

Anybody agree with the theory - or is it just the lime juice talking here!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Gollywobbler

Yet again brilliant advice.

Our daughter has Permanent Residency Visa, and we were both thinking of a 12 month visit 1st then applying for the CPV. We both get concerned on not seeing them all as we are a close family so the instant application of the CPV seemed the way to go.

So many ideas so little time it always feels like -but your advice hits home

Thank you!

stephsuej

Gill

To update you and thank you for your responses. Our two daughters are now in Australia with permanent residency. October youngest daughter Lucy returned to Victoria with her Australian husband and two little girls after living in Wales for 7 years. Boxing Day our eldest daughter Catherine and her family (husband and three childen) moved to Canberra. Catherine applied for state sponsorship in April '09 and was accepted early Sep '09, just before some changes to applications took place. Catherine did well to do all that in 6 months. We intend to now get a tourist visa for April '10 for 12 months, after 12 months (all being well) apply for CPV. (1) Do you recommend a permanent or temporary for us to apply for in April '11? Is one application quicker than another. (2) Also is we do apply for the CPV and return to Aus on another 12 month tourist visa, could we do our medicals and PC's in/from Aus, if we are allocated case officer and need to get medicals and PC's done? Thank you. Sue x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sue

Welcome back to Poms in Oz and a very happy New Year to you and your family.

Catherine is probably recovering from jet lag as I type this, but hopefully they will soon get themselves sorted out and a normal life going again. Meanwhile, how are Lucy and family doing after a bit longer in Oz?

The short answers to your questions are as follows:

(1) Do you recommend a permanent or temporary for us to apply for in April '11? Is one application quicker than another?

The two-stage approach does not save enough time at the beginning to make it worthwhile. You might save six weeks or so because you don't have to put an Assurance of Support into place with the temporary CPV 173. It is not worth such a short time saving because the downside is the hassle of having to make a second visa application later which is not appreciably less laborious than the first one. The vast majority of CPV applicants choose to apply for the immediately permanent CPV 143 from the outset, to get the visa process out of the way in one hit, and they can't all be wrong!

Also if we do apply for the CPV and return to Aus on another 12 month tourist visa, could we do our medicals and PC's in/from Aus, if we are allocated case officer and need to get medicals and PC's done?

Yes. If you are visiting Oz when the meds need to be done, you just trot along to HSA - the onshore equivalent of an offshore Panel Doctor:

HSA Group

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again, Sue

I've just read some scary stuff about a bushfire in WA. A man tried to return to his home hoping to save house, orchard and vineyard. He says the fire took about 60 seconds to destroy the whole lot. I don't know enough about physics and meterology (I guess) to know why but it seems that bush fires create extremely strong winds, hence it took no time to wreck the poor man's property completely. My sister, mother and my sister's family plus Aussie in laws all live in Perth and I think we all worry about our loved ones when we hear anything about bush fires anywhere near where they live.

Back to you, though.

If I might suggest it, don't make too rigid a plan. Indecision is the key to flexibility, as they say!

At the moment the 2nd Instalment for a CPV is $34,330 per parent. It was $32,725 per parent from 1st July 2008 to 30th June 2009. My maths is so hopeless that I don't know what percentage increase that is, but it will rise again on 1st July 2010. CPVs were new on 1st July 2003 and back then in the first year, the 2nd instalment was $25,000. It had risen to $27,850 by November 2005 when we submitted Mum's application. So you can see the way the price keeps rising. I think it is sure to go through the $35,000 barrier in July 2010 - in just 7 years.

The Australian Government Actuary does the figures for the CPV every year. Below are the links to the original AGA Report, in 2002, and a more recent one in early 2008:

Publications — Australian Government Actuary

You have mentioned that you are a very close knit family, so you and Hubby might well decide to plump for Australia even if you conclude that the place isn't Nirvana. If my theory about that proves to be accurate, my concern would be to try to get PR for you as fast as possible and as cheaply as possible. On which basis, here goes with some thoughts.

Aussie son-in-law may well be settled enough to be able to sponsor you for CPVs once he has been back in Oz for no more than 6 months or so. If so then you might well be able to beat the next fee increase by making an application before 30th June 2010.

If this bit is possible, you would also want to consider whether to apply for the relatively slow track CPV 143, or whether to apply for the much faster Contributory Aged Parent subclass 864 visa instead if one of you is old enough for it (if not then forget the idea!)

Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 864)

CAPVs are faster than offshore CPVs because supply and demand are about equal with the onshore CAPVs whereas demand exceeds supply with the offshore CPVs. The story with the offshore visa is no longer funny as far as the timescale is concerned:

Parents to Oz

Sandch deserves a medal for creating the CPV tracker website and keeping it going. He is a member on here but most of the CPV news in recent months has been unfolding on the big CPV thread on British Expats:

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3. - Page 53 : British Expat Discussion Forum

You might want to scroll back a few pages and get a feel for who is who and what has been going on lately.

It might be that you are not old enough for the onshore CAPV. It might be that you are old enough but DIAC might slap Condition 8503 on your tourist visas, to prevent you from applying for an onshore CAPV:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 52b. Waiving Visa Condition 8503 - "No Further Stay"

If you get lumbered with Condition 8503 it is sometimes possible to get it lifted once the Parents are in Oz on an extended visit and there is no good reason for preventing them applying for an onshore CAPV - apart from anything else, it takes a bit of the pressure off the queue for the offshore visas.

I've known the staff in local DIAC offices in Oz jump both ways on this one. Some of the local staff in the ordinary offices are pragmatic and helpful plus clued up. I've come across one bloke who was a prize Jobsworth. His theories about the legislation were complete rubbish - he was just completely wrong. He was also an obstructive little twit who simply wouldn't be told that he was mistaken. His ignorance made him all the more determined to be a difficult little dog in the manger for no good reason at all. So you have to play this one by ear.

If a CAPV becomes a possibility, I would check with the Parents Visa Centre before making a decision about it. I would suggest giving them a jangle in about late April 2010 and you should ask for Kerry McKay, who is a nice chap and he is the Manager of the onshore visas section of the PVC:

Parent Visa Centre

Some dear friends of mine found Mr McKay to be exceptionally helpful in about April/May 2009. The father is 82 and cannot travel by air because he had a pulmonary embolism some years ago which almost killed him, which the doctors said was caused by deep vein thrombosis, so there was no way they would risk letting him fly from London to Sydney.

So - the couple applied for CPV 143s in July 2008. They then booked themselves on half of a P&O round the world cruise in January 2009, which got them to Sydney in Feb 2009. I saw them off from Southampton but Monty was distracted that morning - entirely understandably. I muttered that their 12 month tourist visas were not lumbered with Condition 8503, so he would have the option of switching to CAPV 864s once they got to Oz if he wished.

Unknown to me, Monty had heard me loud and clear. He merely hadn't reacted. (He also hadn't had his pockets hoovered by P&O at that stage and didn't know the extent of the rip off he was in for on one of their ships!)

However by the time he reached Sydney he had had enough of junketing around on the ocean wave whilst being ripped off. He decided that he didn't fancy a visit to Noumea, which was the shortest cruise we could find in order for the CPV 143s to be granted in due course, so he rang up the PVC to discuss his options with Mr McKay.

It was agreed that Monty should make a second application for the onshore CAPV 864s which meant completing new application forms and paying a new fee but the PVC told him not to bother with doing all the supporting documents again because they could cannibalise the original file to get those. Paying the extra $2,000 odd for the new application was cheaper than another hoovering from P&O so that was well worth it. The PVC processed the onshore application immediately and the whole thing was done and dusted in a matter of weeks. It was MILES better than sticking with the offshore visa because the eventual course of action soon had them feeling properly secure, settled and busily house hunting in Sydney.

I feel it is worth describing what happened there because it really does show the value of flexibility where it is possible. Dear old Monty and his wfe are absolute darlings. He is a retired Bank Manager so he was obviously going to be able to cope with the tedious form filling etc in spite of his age. I decided that the mental exercise would be good for him because having done Mum's application I am too bone idle to do anyone else's as well and I LOATHE form filling - which is a bloody boring clerical job only.

It is very good for the Parents concerned to do it themselves imho - it keeps them busy and out of trouble! If it is your own future or that of someone close to you, you have a reason to put up with the form filling, photocopying and traipsing around getting the photocopies certified. I've had Parents offering to pay me to help them, which is sweet of them but (a) I don't want their money; (b) I'm too lazy; and © it is better for them to get down to it themselves.

One problem we didn't have to worry about with Monty and fast tracking him & his wife was that we did not have to worry about the Assurance of Support:

Assurance of Support

9.4 Assurance of Support Scheme

It is essential to check that the AoS will be OK before you dive in with a visa application, especially if the PVC will process it very quickly.

Up to 3 individuals can club together to provide an AoS and the Assurer(s) are means tested. With Mum, my Aussie bro in law was earning enough on his own but my sister - the sponsor - was only working part time and earning a pittance because of fitting a job round their two kids. Elaine wasn't earning enough on her own but we decided that she and Neil should be joint Assurers. Partly, putting Elaine's neck into the noose for the AoS would prevent any possible carping from any of her Aussie in-laws. Partly, only one of the Assurers has to traipse to the Commonwealth Bank, open the Bond Account and be the account holder. Elaine was able to make the time for traipsing around between Centrelink and the Bank whereas Neil really could not spare the time.

The means testing has been simpliified since we did it. It used to involve a complicated (to me) calculation based on Family Tax Benefit Part A. I think now it is based on a straightfoward notion of the Assurer needs to have an income of AUD $x but the details are all in the Social Security Guide, which explains exactly what income to prove and how to prove it.

Cheers

Gill

If you mean the Oz will set a very low fixed rate in January 2010 then you could be right. This, at the moment, may be a very short window open for a few.

I would take the view if the rate is close to par for the floating rate and the official rate I would rather take the fixed sterling route and pay in the UK when the time comes.

Anyone not aware of the exchange rate set for the next 6 months, it is $1.70. They have dropped the official rate from $1.95.

We start 2010 with the cheapest option for paying for our visas is now back in Perth and not in the UK. Unless the £ takes a dive.:mad:

Gill

Thank you very much for all the information. You mentioned "your concern would be to try to get PR for you as fast as possible". Sorry but I don't know what PR means - I am getting familiar with the initials on the immigration internet pages, but not that one. I will be 55 in May and my husband is 56 in July, so it wouldn't be the aged parent visa for us two.

The fires are a worry for people - I know earlier this year the flames were licking at the fields just near our son-in-laws family near Bendigo in Victoria.

Thank you for your help - Skype is great for us keeping in touch, so much better than it would have been in the '60's when people moved away.

Sue x

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill

Thank you very much for all the information. You mentioned "your concern would be to try to get PR for you as fast as possible". Sorry but I don't know what PR means - I am getting familiar with the initials on the immigration internet pages, but not that one. I will be 55 in May and my husband is 56 in July, so it wouldn't be the aged parent visa for us two.

The fires are a worry for people - I know earlier this year the flames were licking at the fields just near our son-in-laws family near Bendigo in Victoria.

Thank you for your help - Skype is great for us keeping in touch, so much better than it would have been in the '60's when people moved away.

Sue x

Hi Sue

Right! You are miles too young for Contributory Aged Parent Visas so we can forget all about those! You are too young for the concessions cards too, by the way!

PR = Permanent Residency.

I suggest that you head for Oz and see how things go when you get there. You will not necessarily have to wait till 2011 before you apply for CPVs.

Cheers

Gill

• 1 month later...
Hi Sue

Right! You are miles too young for Contributory Aged Parent Visas so we can forget all about those! You are too young for the concessions cards too, by the way!

PR = Permanent Residency.

I suggest that you head for Oz and see how things go when you get there. You will not necessarily have to wait till 2011 before you apply for CPVs.

Cheers

Gill

Hello Gill hope you are well. Our youngest daughter who moved back to Australia (NSW) with her Aussie husband and family are now in employment and renting a property, eldest grandaughter (aged 6) enrolled in primary school and all is looking good. They have been back in Aus since Oct 2009 after marrying in Aus 2002 and returning to Wales in late 2002. Eldest daughter sponsored by ACT now in Canberra after a months touring in Victoria and ready to settle down to look for jobs and schools. We are hopefully going to NSW in May on yearly holiday visa. If we put our application in for CPV in May before we go (to miss the price increase), if they think we are too early with application - do they just sit on it or do they send it back to us? We understand as our son-in law 'returned home' and that we don't have to wait the 2 years settling period. We know it still takes up to two years, so by the time they get to look at the form it could be almost two years that they have been back anyway. Thank you Sue

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

The Panel Doctor and Radiology Clinic Lists for the UK and Ireland have just been reduced DRASTICALLY. Please see the last few posts on the thread above:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/76179-new-changes-affecting-panel-doctors-important-16.html

Les or someone may want to get this mentioned on the big, SPARKLY, British Expats thread for all the Contributory Parents who are still waiting to be asked to go for their meds.

Cheers

Gill

Guest austibeach

I give up !!!.................I'm certain now that it would be easier if all of my family simply moved to the UK.

Eric...........at least I think that's my name, as I can't be sure of anything anymore.

Guest Gollywobbler
I give up !!!.................I'm certain now that it would be easier if all of my family simply moved to the UK.

Eric...........at least I think that's my name, as I can't be sure of anything anymore.

Hi Eric

I sent you an e-mail about the latest medical lists from DIAC about 30 minutes ago.

David Wilden of DIAC told me that the new changes would mean that most people would not have to travel more than 90 miles and that this would take less than 2 hours. David is Australian. It doesn't seem to have occurred to any of them that the UK has a population of 62 million, roads that were never designed with so much traffic in mind and most of the 62 million have their own cars in the UK. It can take well over an hour to get into Southampton from here in the rush hours - a distance of 5 miles.

I tried to work out where the nearest facilities for you might be - without success.

Cheers

Gill

Guest kyotodesigns

I submitted my visa application at end of Oct 2008 and as of 2nd Feb 2010, have now been allocated a Case Officer so things moving.

That said, a rather strange query if anyone can help. Two things, with the poor stat of Pound, we are considering withdrawing our application in favour of a Parent visa, with the longer wait. Main reason is that we are not yet ready to go as we still have commitments and my processing has come earlier than we thought.

1. Has anyone else needed to consider such a change

2. I am sure I have read that these visas have some restriction once issued in that one has to stay in Oz for 2 years after it being granted. If I proceed with the Contributory Visa and pay its high cost, can I just make the one visit to validate then use it as a travel visa until such time in 5 plus years when I need to settle there on a more permanent basis.

Thanks for any help

I submitted my visa application at end of Oct 2008 and as of 2nd Feb 2010, have now been allocated a Case Officer so things moving.

That said, a rather strange query if anyone can help. Two things, with the poor stat of Pound, we are considering withdrawing our application in favour of a Parent visa, with the longer wait. Main reason is that we are not yet ready to go as we still have commitments and my processing has come earlier than we thought.

1. Has anyone else needed to consider such a change

2. I am sure I have read that these visas have some restriction once issued in that one has to stay in Oz for 2 years after it being granted. If I proceed with the Contributory Visa and pay its high cost, can I just make the one visit to validate then use it as a travel visa until such time in 5 plus years when I need to settle there on a more permanent basis.

Thanks for any help

Hello

The parent visa strategy is sensible if you are in no hurry. You can always switch back to a CPV later.

The 2-year "rule" you mention actually relates to being able to qualify for a returning resident's visa after the CPV has expired. Once you've validated the CPV you can come and go as you please for 5 years after grant, but after that (if you are not a citizen by then) you'll need a RRV to get back into Australia. You'll only get one of those if you can show a commitment to the country, and that's where the 2-years' residence comes in. There are other factors though. The CPV is very expensive so it focuses one's mind on planning!

Cheers

Steve

My daughter received this email the other day (9th feb 2010) from Perth office when she enquired about my CPV 143 which was submitted on 15th June 2009. I hope the timeline is helpful.

Many thanks for your enquiry. It takes around 18 months from the date of

> lodgement to allocate a visa application for contributory parent subclass

> 143. Once a Case Officer has been allocated, s/he will contact the

> authorised person in writing. Your visa application was submitted on 15

> June 2009 and has not been allocated yet. Currently, we are processing

> visa applications for subclass 143 that were submitted on 04 November 2008.

So by my reckoning that takes June 2009 submissions to about Sept/Oct 2010 which is what we were told at time of lodgement.

It is amazing how quickly the time does go by if you don't dwell on it too much

My daughter received this email the other day (9th feb 2010) from Perth office when she enquired about my CPV which was submitted on 15th June 2009. I hope the timeline is helpful.

Many thanks for your enquiry. It takes around 18 months from the date of

> lodgement to allocate a visa application for contributory parent subclass

> 143. Once a Case Officer has been allocated, s/he will contact the

> authorised person in writing. Your visa application was submitted on 15

> June 2009 and has not been allocated yet. Currently, we are processing

> visa applications for subclass 143 that were submitted on 04 November 2008.

Would agree with their dates, we use this to keep an eye on CPV poms progress.:smile:

Parents to Oz

It may speed up if the trend to drop out continues but there is no sign of that yet.

I just wondered if anyone can answer this one for me. I have a daughter (only child) granted her visa since Sept and she and her husband and my 3 grandchildren have been living in Perth since Nov this year. I also have a brother who has been living in Perth and has Australian Citizenship. My question is this, if I applied for CPV (including my partner and his son on application) could I be sponsored on this application by my brother as my daughter has not been there long enough to be regarded as settled and if not, what is the minimum amount of time my daughter must be in australia before I can apply. Would she have to have citizenship?

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler
I just wondered if anyone can answer this one for me. I have a daughter (only child) granted her visa since Sept and she and her husband and my 3 grandchildren have been living in Perth since Nov this year. I also have a brother who has been living in Perth and has Australian Citizenship. My question is this, if I applied for CPV (including my partner and his son on application) could I be sponsored on this application by my brother as my daughter has not been there long enough to be regarded as settled and if not, what is the minimum amount of time my daughter must be in australia before I can apply. Would she have to have citizenship?

Thanks

Hi Grainne

How many children does your Partner have, please? Is it just one girl for you and only one boy for him? You must get the Balance of Family Test right, hun, hence my question.

A child of one Parent is treated as the child of both Parents, so evey child must be counted up. If either of you and your Partner have any children or step-children apart from the two you have mentioned in your post, please howl - loudly!

Turning to your Partner's son, how old is he at the moment? It will take about 18 months from the time when you submit a CPV application to the time when you will get a Case Officer, and CPV 143s usually take about 3 months to complete after that. (My mother has a CPV 143 but luckily she got hers in 2006 when they only took about 9 months from start to finish and they cost considerably less back then than they cost now.)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

Your step-son's age will affect the total costs of the exercise and it will be very expensive if he turns 18 before the visas are granted.

The usual drill is that your daughter in Oz must act as the Sponsor for you, your partner and his son.

Looking at Page 18 of Booklet 3, I reckon that the Parents Visa Centre (PVC) would say that your brother cannot act as your Sponsor.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1129.pdf

The legislation is clearer than the Booklet, in my opinion, and is below:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/E6F810D67AD38FF7CA2576A100006DE4/$file/MigrationRegs1994Vol3.pdf

Please go to Pages 202 and 203 in the Regulations, using the page numbering in the document itself rather than the Adobe page numbering.

I think it is pretty clear if you read it out loud. Your daughter must be a "settled" Permanent Resident of Oz even if her husband acts as your Sponsor. So even if your brother could sponsor you, your daughter would have to be "settled" first in any case.

The other thing that you must think about very carefully in relation to your Partner's son is the Assurance of Support. Centrelink administer the AoS on DIAC's behalf.

Assurance of Support

Up to 3 individuals can club together to provide an AoS but you must remember that an individual may only Assure two other adults at a time. The Assurer(s) is/are means tested and working out how much will be needed is a pain in the rear end, frankly:

There are examples of how to do the computation in the Guide above.

Most of us are bone idle so we just rely on Mark Webster of Acacia Immigration to get the sums right.

Assurance of Support (AOS) Bond

Asking Centrelink what the figures will be has much in common with trying to kick a dead whale uphill. My sister and I phoned them 4 times in all (twice each.) Four Centrelink staff gave us four different figures, all of which proved to be wrong. All that they actually do is to put the figures from the pay-slips etc into their computer and the computer says whether or not the amount is enough. None of them seem to know how to do the computation by hand.

If your s-i-l gets involved with Assuring any of you, what will happen about his own Parents? Do they intend to migrate to Oz as well?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Grainne

How many children does your Partner have, please? Is it just one girl for you and only one boy for him? You must get the Balance of Family Test right, hun, hence my question.

A child of one Parent is treated as the child of both Parents, so evey child must be counted up. If either of you and your Partner have any children or step-children apart from the two you have mentioned in your post, please howl - loudly!

Turning to your Partner's son, how old is he at the moment? It will take about 18 months from the time when you submit a CPV application to the time when you will get a Case Officer, and CPV 143s usually take about 3 months to complete after that. (My mother has a CPV 143 but luckily she got hers in 2006 when they only took about 9 months from start to finish and they cost considerably less back then than they cost now.)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

Your step-son's age will affect the total costs of the exercise and it will be very expensive if he turns 18 before the visas are granted.

The usual drill is that your daughter in Oz must act as the Sponsor for you, your partner and his son.

Looking at Page 18 of Booklet 3, I reckon that the Parents Visa Centre (PVC) would say that your brother cannot act as your Sponsor.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1129.pdf

The legislation is clearer than the Booklet, in my opinion, and is below:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/E6F810D67AD38FF7CA2576A100006DE4/$file/MigrationRegs1994Vol3.pdf

Please go to Pages 202 and 203 in the Regulations, using the page numbering in the document itself rather than the Adobe page numbering.

I think it is pretty clear if you read it out loud. Your daughter must be a "settled" Permanent Resident of Oz even if her husband acts as your Sponsor. So even if your brother could sponsor you, your daughter would have to be "settled" first in any case.

The other thing that you must think about very carefully in relation to your Partner's son is the Assurance of Support. Centrelink administer the AoS on DIAC's behalf.

Assurance of Support

Up to 3 individuals can club together to provide an AoS but you must remember that an individual may only Assure two other adults at a time. The Assurer(s) is/are means tested and working out how much will be needed is a pain in the rear end, frankly:

There are examples of how to do the computation in the Guide above.

Most of us are bone idle so we just rely on Mark Webster of Acacia Immigration to get the sums right.

Asking Centrelink what the figures will be has much in common with trying to kick a dead whale uphill. My sister and I phoned them 4 times in all (twice each.) Four Centrelink staff gave us four different figures, all of which proved to be wrong. All that they actually do is to put the figures from the pay-slips etc into their computer and the computer says whether or not the amount is enough. None of them seem to know how to do the computation by hand.

If your s-i-l gets involved with Assuring any of you, what will happen about his own Parents? Do they intend to migrate to Oz as well?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for all the information, I will have a busy weekend reading through it all. ..Luckily only my daughter and my partners son who will be 15 this year....

I never thought that my son-in-laws mother would look to emigrate but I better check it out anyway, so thanks for pointing it out.

I'll have a wade through all the info and see how it looks... I'm really hoping though that Carpenter will still be on the new list and it comes out in time (OH 45 the end of May)

Thanks Gill for everything

Interesting that two views of earnings are over $10,000 apart for a married adult (our married son, wife working, no children) supporting 2 adults (us).

My Australian Visa

Have I missed something?

There will be a simpler income test for assurers linking the income requirement to the maximum annual basic rate of Newstart Allowance as at 1 July. Currently assurers must have income of $11,931 gross for themselves and $11,931 for each adult they assure. These amounts apply to all visas and will be indexed annually.

Examples of income required by an assurer:

• o Single assurer assuring one adult = $23,862
  • o Single assurer assuring 2 adults = $35,793
  • o Married assurer assuring one adult = $23,862
  • o Married assurer assuring two adults = $35,793
  •  

Interesting that two views of earnings are over $10,000 apart for a married adult (our married son, wife working, no children) supporting 2 adults (us).

My Australian Visa

Have I missed something?

There will be a simpler income test for assurers linking the income requirement to the maximum annual basic rate of Newstart Allowance as at 1 July. Currently assurers must have income of $11,931 gross for themselves and $11,931 for each adult they assure. These amounts apply to all visas and will be indexed annually.

Examples of income required by an assurer:

• o Single assurer assuring one adult = $23,862

• o Single assurer assuring 2 adults = $35,793

• o Married assurer assuring one adult = $23,862

• o Married assurer assuring two adults = $35,793

Forgive me for quoting my own post but this link is to the Australian Government web site:

9.4.3.60 AoS - Income Requirements & Family Circumstances of Potential Assurer

and shows the formula used to work out Aos earnings.

9.4.3.60 AoS - Income Requirements & Family Circumstances of Potential Assurer

In my view Acacia's calculator is incorrect when it shows the income required for a married assurer is $47,724. There is no increase in earnings required if the assurer is married or not, so $35,793 is the correct amount for assuring 2 adults.

"No increases are required to the income requirement in respect of an assurer's partner. An assurer's partner may give as assurance in his or her own right provided they meet the income and other requirements."

Just writing this down to get it clear in my own mind, and it may be that Acacia's calculator works for other scenarios.

Best Regards

Les

Archived