Need some advice regarding RSMS 187 and student visa

lovent

Hi Guys,

I am really stressed and concerned at the moment and desperately need some advice!

At the moment, i am sponsored by my employer in the NT and my visa RSMS has been lodged at the start of february 2014. However, I am still on my student visa and have to comply. The thing is, my education provider is based in Melbourne and have not told them that I am being sponsored.

I cannot attend classes due to the fact that I am based in the NT and would be expensive for me to fly in and out to Melbourne on a regular basis. What should I do as i am really worried that my education provider will report me?:arghh:

Any input helps!

If your rsms has not gone through then you are NOT sponsored yet by your employer and must comply with your current visa conditions. This includes attending at least 80% of classes and assuming you are on the most common type of student visa, not working more than 40 hours a fortnight!

If you are working more than this then you are breaking your visa conditions and face having your visa cancelled (immigration are now linked to the tax office, so they will be able to tell). The same with not attending classes. This will not look good for your rsms application.

Also, remember, although they advertise six months processing for the rsms it can be over a year if there are complications or you are from a high risk country. You have to abide by your current visa conditions until then.

My advice would be to get on a plane ASAP and carry on your course until your visa is issued (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the advice! If I go back to Melbourne, I would have to find a job and a place to live and do a course which I am not enjoying at all. Just any question, from previous cases, has anyone has taken an "absence of leave or intermission" from University based on the fact that I applied for rsms.

Thanks for the advice! If I go back to Melbourne, I would have to find a job and a place to live and do a course which I am not enjoying at all. Just any question, from previous cases, has anyone has taken an "absence of leave or intermission" from University based on the fact that I applied for rsms.

I came on a student visa, and am now on an rsms visa so have keep a close eye on both visas. I have never seen anyone manage to work full time and give up their course while waiting for an rsms. Are you from a country where you could get a working holiday visa?

If not you should employ a registered migration agent, but to be honest you should have thought about these issues before moving across the country and risking your current visa.

I already have my rcb approved with ielts and medicals done - all documents were handed in. Actually, i was thinking what If i withdraw from the course and go back overseas? my current visa will be cancelled, so i can just wait until my rsms get approved! - unfortunalety the country i come from does not do work holiday visa. It is really stressful especially after living here for nearly 6 years studying!

I already have my rcb approved with ielts and medicals done - all documents were handed in. Actually, i was thinking what If i withdraw from the course and go back overseas? my current visa will be cancelled, so i can just wait until my rsms get approved! - unfortunalety the country i come from does not do work holiday visa. It is really stressful especially after living here for nearly 6 years studying!

Yes you could do that. Be aware though that it can still take a long time.

Actually What if I apply for a bridging visa A ?

It is not possible to apply for a bridging visa A by itself. Bridging visas are automatic and kick in if one visa expires before another (lodged onshore) Is granted. You need to abide to the rules of your current student visa and if you really do not want to do the course, then you should leave the course and wait offshore for the RSMS visa.

Actually What if I apply for a bridging visa A ?

Yep, that only kicks in AFTER your student visa expires. Cancelling the student visa cancels bridging visa a, so it wouldn't help you.

Leaving the country or applying for the 457 would be your two options (other than carry on the course).

Archived