finding a rental with a dog

trabonita

I'd love to hear peoples experiences please? I'm a bit worried that hardly any of the rentals on realestate.com seem to accept pets. I know others have said to ignore this as often they don't advertise iT but will accept a dog, but i'm concerned our choice of rental is going to be significantly reduced with our dog. Have others found this? we will be looking in the Central Coast area of NSW.

Thanks

they might be limited but go on realestate.com.au and tick animal friendly.... click on the house advertising and then see who the estate agent is... get their number and have a personal chat to see how many doggy friendly houses they have on their books... do this with several agents you might get a higher result ....

I've been worried about it too . moving to Brisbane in January with 2 dogs and worried about being homeless or forced into a nasty rental. I have been thinking of getting a relocation agent to help me with finding a place. they have more contacts and might be able to negotiate about the dogs better.

I'd love to hear peoples experiences please? I'm a bit worried that hardly any of the rentals on realestate.com seem to accept pets. I know others have said to ignore this as often they don't advertise iT but will accept a dog, but i'm concerned our choice of rental is going to be significantly reduced with our dog. Have others found this? we will be looking in the Central Coast area of NSW.

Thanks

Hi trabonita,

if you go onto real-estate au , DONT click pet friendly because it will only bring up a few houses. just keep it as normal then scroll down and read the house descriptions as it will tell u if pets r allowed or negotiable . I panicked to begin with then found more houses available doing it this way. hope this helps.

Hi, we moved to the central coast just under two years ago and i am affraid it is harder with dogs, the only properties you can rent are the older style, what you need to do is go into the estate agents and rather then looking at the rental list or real estate, just ask them to point out any houses that would except a dog and you must say the dog lives outside then smuggle him in, this is the only way i am affraid, we wished we didnt bring the dogs but they were part of the family good luck

why are they so strict with dogs, do most families with dogs in Aus keep them outside?

Have to say when we tried to find a rental in the UK it was mega hard finding one who would accept a dog. Even with extra security deposit etc people would still say no. Finally after much searching we finally secured a rental. It WILL be more difficult, but don't give up.

why are they so strict with dogs, do most families with dogs in Aus keep them outside?

For the landlord there's no upsides, just downsides. Either through damage, fleas or barking nuisance. The only chance you have is if the competing dogless applicants appear dodgy and you don't. Fortunately there's enough of those too.

For the landlord there's no upsides, just downsides. Either through damage, fleas or barking nuisance. The only chance you have is if the competing dogless applicants appear dodgy and you don't. Fortunately there's enough of those too.

kids can be worse , with their screaming & causing damage. OK they probably don't have fleas but then good owners don't let their dogs get fleas either.

they should state "kids on application' on their listings. I

know which I'd rather have living in my house:biggrin:

I have just rented a house and have a dog. On real estate .com DO NOT tick the dogs allowed button. A lot of agents just put dogs on application in the description and the search engine does not pick those houses out. We looked at plenty of houses and ended up being offered 4. Talk to the agent and ask what properties accept dogs, you will find some do not specify pets but will accept if they are asked. We even had one agent who said she liked dog owners because they were normally responsible people. I presumed she was a dog lover....:biggrin:. We also did a profile sheet... this was to explain to the agent who we were what we did and how we earned money we also included a cute photo of our Dog. That way they knew what sort of dog we had.

I have just rented a house and have a dog. On real estate .com DO NOT tick the dogs allowed button. A lot of agents just put dogs on application in the description and the search engine does not pick those houses out. We looked at plenty of houses and ended up being offered 4. Talk to the agent and ask what properties accept dogs, you will find some do not specify pets but will accept if they are asked. We even had one agent who said she liked dog owners because they were normally responsible people. I presumed she was a dog lover....:biggrin:. We also did a profile sheet... this was to explain to the agent who we were what we did and how we earned money we also included a cute photo of our Dog. That way they knew what sort of dog we had.

That's encouraging, Thanks carlhall

Can I ask what part of Oz are you in ? I was thinking of putting together some sort of character reference for the dogs with a cute cover photo. I'll definitely do that now.

It's generally a specific exclusion on the landlord's insurance policy; I am not covered for damage by any animal which is intentionally kept on the property.

In respect of sneaking them in, please don't. I let families with outside dogs rent happily. I also do regular drive-bys of my properties. If a tenant takes the mick I will simply no longer allow dogs.

It's generally a specific exclusion on the landlord's insurance policy; I am not covered for damage by any animal which is intentionally kept on the property.

In respect of sneaking them in, please don't. I let families with outside dogs rent happily. I also do regular drive-bys of my properties. If a tenant takes the mick I will simply no longer allow dogs.

Personally I wouldn't sneak a dog in. I would be too nervous I would get caught out and thrown out and I respect the homeowners decision

But as for the landlords insurance policy.... I understand that you wouldn't be covered by them but I thought that was the point of the bond ,to recover any costs incurred by damage. I had heard that if you have a dog some landlords will increase this bond to cover themselves.

I fully understand that not all landlords will want dogs in their rental properties and that is of course their choice . but the majority of dog owners are responsible. their dogs are house trained and they don't cause damage in the home.

Especially those who are emigrating with their dogs.

For instance we are coming over in January with two dogs its costing us an extra £5000/A$9500 to bring them as we just couldn't rehome them. when we took them on we knew it was for life. Its a lot of extra expense and hassle .

They have lived in our home for 8yrs and never caused any damage. I would only rent unfurnished so no issue with that for the landlord. surely if the landlords knew our story and we could offer an increased bond

they would look at us in a more favourable way .... would you as a landlord ?

I would hate to have to leave them outside after 8yrs of being inside

That's encouraging, Thanks carlhall

Can I ask what part of Oz are you in ? I was thinking of putting together some sort of character reference for the dogs with a cute cover photo. I'll definitely do that now.

I am in Hervey Bay QLD, I did think it would be hard renting with a dog, But I was happily surprised.

Oh wow that's great, we are flying into Brisbane and ideally want to live sunshine coast, but it all depends on work.

So only a couple of hours from where you are. Thanks for all the info I feel a bit better about it now :)

kids can be worse , with their screaming & causing damage. OK they probably don't have fleas but then good owners don't let their dogs get fleas either.

they should state "kids on application' on their listings. I

know which I'd rather have living in my house:biggrin:

uh oh we have both so we're screwed!!!:biglaugh:

But as for the landlords insurance policy.... I understand that you wouldn't be covered by them but I thought that was the point of the bond ,to recover any costs incurred by damage. I had heard that if you have a dog some landlords will increase this bond to cover themselves.

surely if the landlords knew our story and we could offer an increased bond

they would look at us in a more favourable way .... would you as a landlord ?

I would hate to have to leave them outside after 8yrs of being inside

Legally, you're not allowed to charge more than 4 weeks' as a bond in QLD so offering is irrelevant. I understand it's different in other states though.

Insurance companies are complete @%$@ and if they can find a reason not to pay out, they will. There have been horror stories of houses burning because of wires chewed which the company then blamed on a household pet and refused to pay out, there's even been cases when the insurer was called in for something else entirely, saw that there was named pets on the lease and declared the insurance invalidated (that one went to court but I don't know the outcome).

It's just really not in my interest to allow them inside unfortunately.

Put together a portfolio for your dog. Include, a letter from your vet to say the dog is vacinated yearly and wormed 3 monthly and has no fleas. Ask your agent from the UK to put together a letter for you confirming the dog lived inside and caused no damage to the house or yard. Include photos of you do inside and outside your home and photos of your garden and in side your home to show how you live and that the dog never did damage to the home, and the yard was kept clean of dog dropping, this is a major issue over here due to flys, you must clean up any droppings every day. See if your old neighbours would do a reference for you to say the dong didnt cause issues, that it was always kept in your yard, and they hardly ever heard your dog bark. register your dog with the local council and include the rego number again showing you are a responcible dog owner. If your dog has been through any training include that as well.

Offer an extra bond if they allow the dog to cover any damage caused, even offer a slightly higher amount than the rent asked to allow you to have your dog. We are now renting until we go back to our home state and did this. We are renting a lovely 3 year old home. We had inspections every 3 months to start but once the agent realized we did look after the home and the dog was not an issue inspections are now 6 monthly. depends as well on the size of the dog, large dogs are generally expected to be kept outside, but smaller dogs can be inside if you can show all the above depending on the agent and owner of course but a portfolio is a good way to go.

Archived