Ielts test

Jilldesp

I haven't done it but there are quite a few practise tests available on google (not sure if that's what you meant when you say you've done a few tests) - there are quite a few posts on here about it as well. Best of luck with it though, hope it all goes well for you

I just kept doing practice exams and looking up helpful tips online to understand the format of the exam. The day itself isn't that nice but take your time with everything and make sure you understand the questions as they do try to word them to confuse people.

Hi,

anyone done the ielts test??? Mine is next week and I'm panicked over it! Need some reassurance and or guidance please!!!

thank you xx

Hi, I did mine a few weeks ago. You're right to take it seriously but there is no need to panic.

Practise

I would strongly advise you to practise - a lot. A native speaker like me, and I presume you, would be doing very well to get high marks otherwise. Spend half an hour on google and you will find lots of sample papers and recordings. You will also find some very good advice.

Test Sections

There are four; listening, reading and writing are tested in the morning, then talking in the afternoon. Each section is marked out of 9 points. 7 points and above on each section will get you 10 points on your skilled immigration, 8 points and above on each section will get you 20 points.

Listening Test

Easy, but don't neglect it. Some sections are very fast and you need to be able to spot the "trick" questions. You only need to do 2 or 3 practise tests to be an expert.

Reading Test

This consists of 3 or 4 passages you have to read and answer questions on. You have an hour. I finished in 20 minutes and spent the next 40 checking my answers. To me this was the easiest section and I think you have a lot of time due to the non-native speakers taking the test.

Writing Test

This was by far my hardest section. You have an hour to write an essay and a letter, and for me that was pretty tough. You also have to write a minimum of 150 words in the letter and 250 in the essay. Now, this sounds easy but it's not. I wrote one or two sample letters and essays every night for a few weeks and I always counted the words afterwards to get a feel for the length. It's pretty tough. The subject is chosen for you, but I would advise to write both about a situation you have been in - the words come easier that way. For example, if the letter is complaining to a landlord then complain about a problem you have actually suffered.

Speaking Test

Remember you're tired from the morning so have a decent lunch before this. Have you seen bladerunner where they cross question the androids until their eyes dilate and they give themselves away? It reminded me of that :) It's easy, but don't just answer "yes" or "no", explain and justify your answers. And you will be asked to talk for 1 to 2 minutes on a subject - look at your watch as this is harder than you think. I gave a great speech about a subject I'm an expert on and it turned out to be for less than a minute...

Again, practise, practise, practise. Definitely find the sample tests online. There is a Cambridge sample exam you can buy but it's probably too late for you to do this.

All the best,

Pete.

Did mine a few years back, I didn't revise or look at anything just went and done it. I Passed and my only advice would, be-don't worry! And Relax and you will be fine. Just make sure you are fresh with a good nights sleep before and maybe eat some brain food :-)

Its to test your english language ability..that is all..not your knowledge on certain subjects or anything else. .practice but dnt build it up to be something its not coz then u'll b looking for trick questions n nerves will mess things up for you....I done it three times as I needed 8s..I never got below a seven but my results were so random n different each time that I think a bit of luck is needed too ;) good luck x

Hi, I did mine a few weeks ago. You're right to take it seriously but there is no need to panic.

Practise

I would strongly advise you to practise - a lot. A native speaker like me, and I presume you, would be doing very well to get high marks otherwise. Spend half an hour on google and you will find lots of sample papers and recordings. You will also find some very good advice.

Test Sections

There are four; listening, reading and writing are tested in the morning, then talking in the afternoon. Each section is marked out of 9 points. 7 points and above on each section will get you 10 points on your skilled immigration, 8 points and above on each section will get you 20 points.

Listening Test

Easy, but don't neglect it. Some sections are very fast and you need to be able to spot the "trick" questions. You only need to do 2 or 3 practise tests to be an expert.

Reading Test

This consists of 3 or 4 passages you have to read and answer questions on. You have an hour. I finished in 20 minutes and spent the next 40 checking my answers. To me this was the easiest section and I think you have a lot of time due to the non-native speakers taking the test.

Writing Test

This was by far my hardest section. You have an hour to write an essay and a letter, and for me that was pretty tough. You also have to write a minimum of 150 words in the letter and 250 in the essay. Now, this sounds easy but it's not. I wrote one or two sample letters and essays every night for a few weeks and I always counted the words afterwards to get a feel for the length. It's pretty tough. The subject is chosen for you, but I would advise to write both about a situation you have been in - the words come easier that way. For example, if the letter is complaining to a landlord then complain about a problem you have actually suffered.

Speaking Test

Remember you're tired from the morning so have a decent lunch before this. Have you seen bladerunner where they cross question the androids until their eyes dilate and they give themselves away? It reminded me of that :) It's easy, but don't just answer "yes" or "no", explain and justify your answers. And you will be asked to talk for 1 to 2 minutes on a subject - look at your watch as this is harder than you think. I gave a great speech about a subject I'm an expert on and it turned out to be for less than a minute...

Again, practise, practise, practise. Definitely find the sample tests online. There is a Cambridge sample exam you can buy but it's probably too late for you to do this.

All the best,

Pete.

This is an awesome response and what makes PIO such a great forum. The only thing I would like to add is that I found the listening the trickiest part as being a bloke, I struggle to multitask! The writing is OK, just try to spin the question to something you are knowledgeable about. I had something about environmental issues so as a keen cyclist, I wrote about sustainable transport.

I am a teacher and have a writing guide that's used for GCSE students and if you or anyone else would like it emailed, drop me a PM. If you practice, the test should be fine but do expect a pretty intense 3 hours!

Good luck and all the best!

Thank you! Yes I am preparing myself for a mad 3 hours just hope I can calm the nerves! That's wot I worry about. I'm pretty well educated but it's not always to do with that is it?! It's the nerves! I'll have to get some calms!!!!! X

If you are a native English speaker, educated and generally not full of txt spk or slang, then you should be fine I think. Don't worry. It's more, as some have said, about understanding the format, and what you're looking for in the sections. I did get the impression there were bits where they were trying to catch you out. Last bit of advice, don't turn up hung over, it makes the day considerably longer, believe me.

Thanks! That's made me feel better! I think I'm over thinking it! Just hope I can focus on the day! X

Just make sure you listen on the test where you listen to the story and have to answer questions as the story goes along.

I actually drifted off in a daze and forgot about answering the questions...ha ha lol, so if I can do it so can you!

Thanks for support! I think the tricky questions can b in the reading as some of the questions are ambiguous don't u think? Driving me mad! Roll on next week wen it's all over! X

Yep, totally agree. I found the questions that had the 'not given' choice were sometimes either that or true/false. Mind you, my practice paid off as I hit three 9's and an 8.5 without having anything better than a 23 year old English GCSE under my belt!!

Not at all, that's my point. Good preparation and learning 'the system' is as important as intellectual ability. All of us who are English from birth have enough language knowledge IMO to pass with 7's minimum, 8's without any major dramas. It's just learning HOW to pass the damned test and having the confidence boost given by good practice scores.

As an example, my DD took the 11+ a few years ago. She's not a genius but not stupid at the same time, if you know what I mean, a just above average kid. First time she looked at the practice papers (and first time I looked at them TBH) her mind boggled. We got her a few different practice papers and a bit of tuition and she passed. The key to the tuition wasn't teaching her anything she didn't already know, merely giving her the technique understanding the test layouts. Same applies really to IELTS.

Yes I know I'm just doubting myself at the moment! Worried that I will get a subject matter in the writing that I don't know anything about! And some question types with the reading confuse me a bit but at least I know that so I will b more aware on the day. Most if it I'm fine with just the odd few things that are freaking me out a bit! I just need to chill. From Sunday I'm doing nothing else, I think you can do too much when all as you need is an understanding if the format, like u said! Thanks for the advice x

Yes I know I'm just doubting myself at the moment! Worried that I will get a subject matter in the writing that I don't know anything about! And some question types with the reading confuse me a bit but at least I know that so I will b more aware on the day. Most if it I'm fine with just the odd few things that are freaking me out a bit! I just need to chill. From Sunday I'm doing nothing else, I think you can do too much when all as you need is an understanding if the format, like u said! Thanks for the advice x

I'm sure you'll be fine, seems like you've done the groundwork. Most important parts of the writing are making sure you've hit minimum word count, address all of the points in the question and give it a decent structure (sentences, paragraphs). Don't forget also that part 2 is worth a far higher percentage if your final mark than part 1, so get part one out of the way ASAP, tick all the boxes on it and move on. I would recommend spacing words a bit more than you would usually and leave a line or two spare at the end of each paragraph. This gives you some wiggle room if you decide to edit your piece after reading it back. It was my written piece that I scored the 8.5, I think it's probably where I didn't leave enough editing space and where I tried to rework a bit of it I ended up trying to cram bits in and I wasn't really happy with the end result.

Archived