Will my UK TV set work in Australia?

Guest YellowGecko

Just curious but with regards to power as the voltage is the same could one not just buy a new power lead for the tele with a Aus plug? I know this is a silly question and feel free to give a silly answer :)

A lot of people do that to save changing the plug (only works if you've a standard power socket on your appliance of course). Especially important in Australia as in theory only a qualified electrician is supposed to change a plug and you can invalidate your fire insurance by doing it yourself!

Guest Guest31881
A lot of people do that to save changing the plug (only works if you've a standard power socket on your appliance of course). Especially important in Australia as in theory only a qualified electrician is supposed to change a plug and you can invalidate your fire insurance by doing it yourself!

Depends on the State, In QLD our local electrician told me that the only restriction is on fixed wiring and everything past that is OK, so changing plugs was fine. But as you say, if you have a fire and its due to an electrical fault insurance companies can be funny about paying out.

My TV a 5 or 6 year old Sony LCD with built in freeview works a treat. I just bought a AU kettle lead and it was all good. Most TVs are made in the same sweatshop (oh should not say that, sorry) and the "local lead" is put in the box at the end of the production line.

A big brand LCD of plasma made in the last 7 years will work.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.841750,151.226283

• 1 month later...

I have a 3 year old Sharp LCD TV here in the UK which I'm intending to ship to Perth in a couple of weeks. I don't much care about TV channels because the TV is really just a high def monitor for my Playstation - also coming with me. So can anyone confirm that:

* if I change the plug to an Aussie one, then connect the Playstation (also with a changed plug :)) into it using the HDMI lead I have, it'll all just work?

* if I do want a TV picture from it the simpest way is to go to Harvey Norman and buy a set top box which will connect to the TV's other HDMI port, and that will just work too?

Everything I've read suggests these two steps will work fine, unless there's something I've missed?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a slightly different question to the one posted here in that my UK PAL I TV has now died so I'm not worried about PAL I to PAL G. I currently work in the USA (having been in the UK for 20 years previously) and I have a huge american NTSC M TV which I would like to bring to Oz when I finish work here and move there. Can anyone help me with any info on PAL G (input signal) to NTSC M (user equipment) converters? I have seen some advertised here in the US for US$200 that claim they can allow an American to move anywhere in the world with their NTSC TV and use PAL I,G or SECAM as the input. As for the voltage - I already have a 120/240 dual-way converter so that isn't a problem.

You can use a UK digital TV in australia,

Switch the country setting to germany as germany frequency range is the same,

then run set up or install and it will work fine, our TV worked no problems, just remember to change your time to local time zone

Hope this helps!!!

• 4 years later...

Thanks all for the great tip about Germany.  We brought over our 42" LG HD TV (2010 model) and 32" Sony HD TV (2007 model) and both of them work great in Sydney when the country is set to Germany.  Auto tuning found all of the digital terrestrial channels that are available on our much newer Samsung TV bought in Australia.  One glitch - you can view and hear all channels just fine on the newer LG (ABC/SBS/7/9/10 etc.) but on the older Sony, even though auto tune finds them you can't view any of the HD channels.  You get a message that the "channel is not tuned in."  You can only view the non-HD versions of the channels. This I can live with.

Archived