Will my UK TV set work in Australia?

Guest YellowGecko

Guest YellowGecko

I've seen this question asked a few times now so thought I would supply as much info on this matter as possible.

Aussie power outlets are the same as the UK. 230-240 volts. Plug sockets are very different however, but you can get around this issue with an adaptor plug.

If you have a High Definition Digital Television, even though Australia and the UK both use the PAL system to broadcast Analogue and Digital TV signals, there is still a good chance your UK bought TV may not work when you get here.

First up...Analogue TV sets

Australia and the UK both broadcast in PAL, but they are differing variations of PAL.

This means the audio has different frequency properties and so, more often than not your UK TV (set up for PAL I) will not be able to receive the audio component of the signal from Australian transmitters (broadcast in PAL G).

Secondly... High Definition Digital TV sets...

Similar issue.

The vision will be received fine by your HD telly, but the sound will more than likely be corrupted by the DIGITAL signal output by Aussie TV stations/broadcasters. The reason is that the UK and Australia ouputs digital audio in different digital based formats. Some in AC3 and some in mpeg which is a similar audio format to DVD audio.

I should stress however that SOME very new Digital TV sets may have an option menu to change this audio system setting for receiving Digital TV signals in other worldwide areas, but unless you can check this out for sure on you particular model of Digital TV, it is best to sell it and start again with buying a NEW one here in Australia.

It is also a good point to remember that the ocean can be rough, and you may need to wrap your precious telly-box in at least a foot of bubble-wrap before placing it into a container for shipping. Screen components on LCD and Plasma TV's are very fragile!

In summary...sell your UK set before moving here and buy a new one in Australia when you arrive.

LCD and Plasma Digital High Def TV's appear to be much cheaper here than in the UK, and if you purchase one here you will have peace of mind that everything will function properly, and that your vision AND audio will be crystal clear.

My YG

:idea:

Guest jonseywife

We bought our fairly new LCD TV from the UK with us and works perfectly fine here BUT ONLY through the Foxtel digibox (the Oz version on Sky!!).

We also bought our little portables for the kids just to watch DVDs and play their games on in their rooms.

But definately use loads of packaging as suggested by YK.... that was my OH worst nightmare if his telly broke on the way over (he was'nt worried about anything else!!!!) ........ :twitcy:

• 1 year later...
Guest amandatom

I have brought my 40" Samsung TV over from the UK. Last night I managed to tune in all the terrestial TV channels fine, picture (though not perfectly clear due to signal quality) and sound work fine.

However when I attempt to tune the Digital/Freeview channels it doesn't find any and says to check the antennae.

There is an option to set the country for my TV and I have changed it from UK to Other (the other defined countries were all in Europe).

As I have just moved into a unit I am not sure what quality the shared aerial is that I am connected to. So is it an incompatibility of the DVB-T systems or the aerial? If it's the TV then I can then opt for a Tivo/DVD Recorder/Foxtel box to pick up channels, but before I decide on which of these to invest in I'd like to be sure the problem is the TV.

Is there a compatabilty issue?

Our picture was really bad when we arrived here and the telly made a fuzzy sound, we bought a topbox and then all worked perfectly

Guest slipshot
I've seen this question asked a few times now so thought I would supply as much info on this matter as possible.

Aussie power outlets are the same as the UK. 230-240 volts. Plug sockets are very different however, but you can get around this issue with an adaptor plug.

If you have a High Definition Digital Television, even though Australia and the UK both use the PAL system to broadcast Analogue and Digital TV signals, there is still a good chance your UK bought TV may not work when you get here.

First up...Analogue TV sets

Australia and the UK both broadcast in PAL, but they are differing variations of PAL.

This means the audio has different frequency properties and so, more often than not your UK TV (set up for PAL I) will not be able to receive the audio component of the signal from Australian transmitters (broadcast in PAL G).

Secondly... High Definition Digital TV sets...

Similar issue.

The vision will be received fine by your HD telly, but the sound will more than likely be corrupted by the DIGITAL signal output by Aussie TV stations/broadcasters. The reason is that the UK and Australia ouputs digital audio in different digital based formats. Some in AC3 and some in mpeg which is a similar audio format to DVD audio.

I should stress however that SOME very new Digital TV sets may have an option menu to change this audio system setting for receiving Digital TV signals in other worldwide areas, but unless you can check this out for sure on you particular model of Digital TV, it is best to sell it and start again with buying a NEW one here in Australia.

It is also a good point to remember that the ocean can be rough, and you may need to wrap your precious telly-box in at least a foot of bubble-wrap before placing it into a container for shipping. Screen components on LCD and Plasma TV's are very fragile!

In summary...sell your UK set before moving here and buy a new one in Australia when you arrive.

LCD and Plasma Digital High Def TV's appear to be much cheaper here than in the UK, and if you purchase one here you will have peace of mind that everything will function properly, and that your vision AND audio will be crystal clear.

My YG

:idea:

Without wanting to buck the points above, some of which are fair, I totally disagree with the point about selling your TV before leaving and would always say BRING IT OR THEM with you. You also neglect to mention a thrid option - that of Standard Defintion TV.

To say there is a 'good chance your UK bought TV will not work' is actually untrue - since you should have added that it can be made to work with the addition of a set-top box, purchased for $50, which will allow it to work. All can be made to work.

Whatever you sell for will be far less than you paid as TV's are like computers - they change frequently. Unless you have one very new and friends willing to give you a decent price, I'd always say to bring it.

Remember as well that there is both Standard Definition digital TV and High Definition digital TV and your UK TV may be one of these.

For example, I had a 4 year old SD LCD TV bought in the UK that had both analogue and digital tuners. It's working perfectly here in Aus on both analogue and digital using its inbuilt tuner. It had an Australian setting and thus I had no need for a set top box. Thus your point about only 'very new' TV's having a global setting is also not correct, since much depends on the model and make - some models are built on a global platform and thus have global settings for ease of sale by the manufacturer.

I had a larger LCD TV which we bought as well, but while HD ready it had no built-in digital tuner. A simple $50 would get me a SD digital tuner and for $120 I bought an HD digital tuner than works perfectly and gives me great picture and sound.

In both those instances I have perfectly working TV's and I spent $120 on one for HD.

Weigh up those costs against the value lost when selling (IF you can even sell them), the hassle of selling, the ease of shipping (and given we have thousand of pounds worth of damage, this did not affect these TV's) so they do seem to survive if well packed, and with the exchange rate of any you do sell, versus the costs of buying here.

Sure, they are cheaper in Aus, BUT still a lot more than the cost of bringing your own and getting them working.

Thus, I would say to always bring your TV with you as it can easily be made to work far cheaper than buying a new one.

The ONLY exception to this, as I have found out, is CRT TV's over about 32" screen size, due to something called parity error. This is to do with the earth magnetic field and the differences between the northern and southern hemisphere. It's complicated but suffice to say a CRT of this size (this is NOT relevant to LCD or plasma TV's) is affected and can only be altered with a lot of work that may not bring a perfect picture back.

So, sorry to disagree but I would always bring your TV over.

Guest slipshot
I have brought my 40" Samsung TV over from the UK. Last night I managed to tune in all the terrestial TV channels fine, picture (though not perfectly clear due to signal quality) and sound work fine.

However when I attempt to tune the Digital/Freeview channels it doesn't find any and says to check the antennae.

There is an option to set the country for my TV and I have changed it from UK to Other (the other defined countries were all in Europe).

As I have just moved into a unit I am not sure what quality the shared aerial is that I am connected to. So is it an incompatibility of the DVB-T systems or the aerial? If it's the TV then I can then opt for a Tivo/DVD Recorder/Foxtel box to pick up channels, but before I decide on which of these to invest in I'd like to be sure the problem is the TV.

Is there a compatabilty issue?

Hi there

Change the option within the European menu to Germany and try this. Germany uses the same system as Australia and often solves the issue.

Ja, das is good!

Guest neilalys

hi, where would you find the price of lcd tvs in qld, as ive tried the good guys and ouch about £200 more for the same as i got 4 months ago, need to find best place b 4 i sell lcd here, were on our way soon thanx

Guest slipshot
hi, where would you find the price of lcd tvs in qld, as ive tried the good guys and ouch about £200 more for the same as i got 4 months ago, need to find best place b 4 i sell lcd here, were on our way soon thanx

Easiest way is to look on www.jbhifi.com.au

They have lots of sales and while they do not have all TV's listed, it gives you an idea of the specs and options available on sale. Hisense is a Chinese brand (I think) that seems OK - new to the market.

Soniq is JB Hifi's own brand and these are all basically rebadged LG TV's, either the latest models or maybe a few are the previous iteration.

HTH

Guest slipshot

For example, a Soniq 42" high def plasma for $799 - saw it in the shop and even though they pump all the settings up to ridiculous levels the quality did look pretty good. For £400, bloody good value.

The ONLY exception to this, as I have found out, is CRT TV's over about 32" screen size, due to something called parity error. This is to do with the earth magnetic field and the differences between the northern and southern hemisphere. It's complicated but suffice to say a CRT of this size (this is NOT relevant to LCD or plasma TV's) is affected and can only be altered with a lot of work that may not bring a perfect picture back.

So, sorry to disagree but I would always bring your TV over.

Ok I will leave my 36" CRT behind, anyway it weighs over 85kgs and it might overbalance the container.:laugh:

Guest slipshot
Ok I will leave my 36" CRT behind, anyway it weighs over 85kgs and it might overbalance the container.:laugh:

Ha - Panasonic by any chnace? Mine was, at 26" weighed 85 kg and I loved it for a great picture and the fact that at leats two thieves would be needed to cart the thing out the house.

It's now in a skip.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aliiicat

Pretty much any tv will work in oz, my uk freeview boxes even work, just set them to 'germany' (oz has the same pal frequency as germany).

Guest barab

If it's a decent enough TV then it will work with a set top box,you might get all.................6 channels ...Yes I said 6 channels...Aussies know how to spoil you with telly!!

Guest Aliiicat

yes, and also your UK freeview boxes will work (and tv's without a freeview box), if they have the ability to be set to 'Germany'. it's an identical pal freequency.

• 1 year later...
Guest paleface

Found the advice below, also offered by Aliiicat. Tried it on my Sony HD/DVD recorder which we bought in the UK a few years ago. Worked on most but not all channels. Didn't pick up any of the SBS stations, finds ABC News 24 but no picture or sound and one or two other quirks.

Any suggestions ? Tried a number of other countries, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland all work too.

Thanks.

Hi there

Change the option within the European menu to Germany and try this. Germany uses the same system as Australia and often solves the issue.

Ja, das is good!

Guest slipshot
Found the advice below, also offered by Aliiicat. Tried it on my Sony HD/DVD recorder which we bought in the UK a few years ago. Worked on most but not all channels. Didn't pick up any of the SBS stations, finds ABC News 24 but no picture or sound and one or two other quirks.

Any suggestions ? Tried a number of other countries, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland all work too.

Thanks.

That makes sense. SBS works on a slightly different system that German settings will not pick up. And as things move further towards digital, so things will continue to change.

If you wish to use your own inbuilt tuner, this is the best you will get. Far better to buy either a SD or HD box and plug that in, and run your TV through either a scart or component or HDMI cable to give a decent picture. Then you have a TV you can continue to use.

The SOny tuner you are using will just create more issues. It's one of those things like any digital radio's bought over from the UK - they will not work as the system is different, and there's not a lot else to do with them.

• 11 months later...
Guest Brett01

Hi everyone,Bretts my name just joined i did. I have a sony rdr hxd770 dvd rec/hdd built in freeview,high definition multimedia interface 1080p upscale it says on the front. If i take this to oz & plug in one of many digital set top boxes available there will this work ?

Also in the manual for the sony there is a couple of pages relating to selecting diff pal versions ie: b/g,L,i,dk as well as some country selection choices . ( i suspect this may be a anolouge only choice )

Does this mean that i can receive oz tv after some channel retuning or is the set top box option the way to go. I plan to bring the sony if i know i can use it to pick up digital channels thru a stb or some retuning of sorts. I'm not bringing tv over will get 1080p set when there. Any words of wisdom from anybody who knows what there talking about will be greatly appreciated as i just cant work out whether to take things or leave them behind. cheers Brett

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me if aussie TV's/DVD/set top boxes etc use scart connections please?

Our TV's are from asia (but have worked ok in the UK). Asia don't use scart connectors, so it's been a bit of a pain juggling things to work in the UK but we've managed.

If Aussie equipment use scart then i'm going to ditch the TV's, if they don't then I'll ship them :biggrin:

Guest Guest31881
Can anyone tell me if aussie TV's/DVD/set top boxes etc use scart connections please?

Our TV's are from asia (but have worked ok in the UK). Asia don't use scart connectors, so it's been a bit of a pain juggling things to work in the UK but we've managed.

If Aussie equipment use scart then i'm going to ditch the TV's, if they don't then I'll ship them :biggrin:

Australian TV's do not use scart leads. they use HDMI for the hi definition, but no scart

Guest Guest31881
Great news, I look forward to my screen maybe being back in the right size format too.......currently we watch 'stenders' and 'oronation screen', you don't know realise how much goes on in those few side inches until they're gone :)

You do realise my answer to that could get me banned. :wink:

Guest Guest31881
Just curious but with regards to power as the voltage is the same could one not just buy a new power lead for the tele with a Aus plug? I know this is a silly question and feel free to give a silly answer :)

Nothing stopping you changing the lead, Bu the scart lead is to connect TV to accessories, not the power. :wink:

Archived