Dog ate babies head

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest Guest40285

Last year at my daughters football final, a little mutt Jack Russell latched onto my dogs lip, my staffy just stood there until it decided to let go, it drew blood, the stupid owner never had the ankle biter on a lead and had the nerve to say her dog felt intimidated by mine, I just answered with, " What are you, the dog whisperer "

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If parents/owners were more aware of a dogs pre-bite signals most of these bites could be prevented. Things like lip licking, averting their eyes, yawning, showing the whites of their eyes are all signals that a dog is not enjoying what is happening to it. If those are ignored they move on to curling their lip and a low growl. If these are still ignored a dog will likely bite. Usually that is an air snap (not intended to severely injure but in small children can cause scarring injuries). If parents were monitoring their dog/child interactions and intervened as soon as the dog showed signs of stress then as I say they wouldn't get to the bite stage. Too many dogs are expected to put up with children hugging/climbing/riding them. They get told off when they growl. If the early signals are constantly ignored then the dog has to make it more clear that they want the child to bugger off - so they start to react with a snap first as all their no confrontational methods haven't worked.

I think everyone forgets the innocent in it all....the poor newborn baby. The parents were idiots. We can all argue which breed is most likely to bite someone but all dogs have it in them to do it from the smallest to the largest. What I can't get is why you would bring an unknown dog home from the pub, already having kids and expecting a new addition? Would the mention of the fact they were going to put the dog to sleep not have you asking why? Would you not tell them to take the dog to RSPCA or Dogs Trust so it had the chance of a suitable home. If you had to bring the dog home would you not have someone assess it for temperament before having it running loose with your kids. Alaskan Malamutes are lovely dogs but need a lot of training, excercise and respect. I suppose like every dog out there no matter what breed.

At our local dog park there has been 3 attacks on dogs and all 3 times the attacker was Siberian Huskies. And to be truthfull our GD puppies best buddies are pit bulls. All friendly and well trained. As to whose fault is it...it's normally 99% idiotic owner and 1% breeding.