The dreaded medical - don't worry, it's really fine!

Guest micman

If you're anything like me you'll most likely be having sleepless nights over the medical examination but, if my experience is anything

to go by, there is nothing to worry about.

Being based in Norwich, my nearest centre was the Hartswood Hospital in Brentwood - around a 2 hour drive each way.

The car parking is a nightmare but, after that, I was treated with a great deal of care and concern when I made the point of

telling them I was a total wuss when it comes to needles and, as the blood test is compulsory, I was not a happy bunny when I got there!:eek:

The nurse (Sharon) took time to explain what was required and did a brilliant job of putting me at ease.

As for the experience itself, I have no idea why I was worried. Apart from the blood test (which was so quick and virtually painless) it's no

different to a check up from the GP.

Sharon took my passport, gave me a little tub, placed it on the side near the loo and issued instructions of how to pee!

I resisted the temptation so say "what - from here?" as she was so patient with me!:biggrin:

After that it was height, weight (the scales lied!),blood pressure check(1st reading sky high as I was in pre needle wuss mode), fast blood test, distance eye test

and a few life style questions before moving on to see the consultant.

He asks more health questions based on your e-health form that you fill in on line then he checks reflexes, general body area (nothing even close to embarrassing!)

a different kind of eye test, looks in your ears and mouth then tells you to get dressed and wait for the chest x-ray.

He did a 2nd blood pressure check and it was right back to normal so once the blood test was over he had a far better reading.

Total time including waiting at this stage was about 30 minutes.

A 10 minute wait followed for the chest x-ray and the nice nurse was very chatty and extremely re-assuring. She was extremely friendly, asked about

our Australian plans and the whole thing took about 2 minutes.

Once the X-ray is over the "ordeal" is over and you are free to leave.

The reason for posting is to offer all of you who have yet to have a medical some re-assurance and, I can honestly say, I was worried for no reason at all.

Good luck if you are still waiting and, if you go to Brentwood, ask for Sharon. . . she's brilliant!

Thank you for this, it is good to read up on other peoples experiences. Our medicals are next week and I am so nervous :confused: Glad yours went well :wubclub:

No worries - you'll be fine :biggrin:

Hi all,

I'm really worried as we are due to have our medical in April but i've just had a sports injury - damaged the ligament in my knee :( I keep trying to tell myself that it won't effect the test but in truth I'm worried it could blow our chances of heading to OZ - can anybody help end my worries?!

Hi all,

I'm really worried as we are due to have our medical in April but i've just had a sports injury - damaged the ligament in my knee :( I keep trying to tell myself that it won't effect the test but in truth I'm worried it could blow our chances of heading to OZ - can anybody help end my worries?!

Well, after my experience today, I would be very surprised if that would be an issue but I'm not a medical expert. The only concern (as I see it) is how much of a drain you will be on the medicare system and I can't see that damaged ligaments would put you on the "naughty" list and subsequent visa refusal. My knees are 55 years old and they passed so unless you require a lot of medical attention, are immobile and will need a lot of long term rehabilitation I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Good luck and don't worry!

I'm not worried about showing people my dick (which I had to do twice as part of my visa medicals) but I was concerned about being given a B by the doctor for a condition which should never have been given a B. His attitude was that it left it to the MOC to determine whether I met the health requirement, and the MOC determined that the doctor would not have given a B if it was not a serious problem. This balls up cost me several hundred pounds in additional private medical assessment (plus showing my dick a second time) and a lot of stress and delay.

Medicals absolutely can be something to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the process. . . I checked my Emedical page today and the status of all tests reads "completed" so is it safe to assume that everything is OK and that they would have contacted me

if there was a problem with X rays, blood test or my finest efforts to pee in the cup? :biggrin:

If so, we are just waiting on a case officer now so I've fired off a quick email to the agent to see if that has happened yet.

Will keep you posted. . . . .

Until I read this thread, I always thought you were a woman, Quinkla! Don't know why... :-))

I'm not worried about showing people my dick (which I had to do twice as part of my visa medicals) but I was concerned about being given a B by the doctor for a condition which should never have been given a B. His attitude was that it left it to the MOC to determine whether I met the health requirement, and the MOC determined that the doctor would not have given a B if it was not a serious problem. This balls up cost me several hundred pounds in additional private medical assessment (plus showing my dick a second time) and a lot of stress and delay.

Medicals absolutely can be something to worry about.

Just a quick update on the process. . . I checked my Emedical page today and the status of all tests reads "completed" so is it safe to assume that everything is OK and that they would have contacted me if there was a problem with X rays, blood test or my finest efforts to pee in the cup?.

Ah, now feel stupid for never thinking of checking the emedical website!

Yup, there it was, all processed and forwarded to DIPB.

Thanks for the hint.

Ah, now feel stupid for never thinking of checking the emedical website!

Yup, there it was, all processed and forwarded to DIPB.

Thanks for the hint.

No worries (see what I did there??) but it would still be more re-assuring to have an email or something from the health centre saying all was well and we have uploaded the results.

I'm just assuming that "completed" means there was nothing to worry about??:confused:

No worries (see what I did there??) but it would still be more re-assuring to have an email or something from the health centre saying all was well and we have uploaded the results.

I'm just assuming that "completed" means there was nothing to worry about??:confused:

I was told that immediately after my medical that everything looked fine and that they would definitely contact me within 2 days if there was anything wrong with the tests.

No news == good news? That's what I'm going with at least..

Edit: Oh, and as I will be sending the police checks to my CO soon I will take that as an opportunity to ask whether the medical results have reached them as well.

Archived