Migration Questions

TomBrum

Hi All,

I'm after some information regarding whether i'm able to apply to migrate and what is the best route to go down.

Firstly I'm 21 years old, just about to complete a four year apprenticeship in electrical/electronic engineering and a month off completing a HNC in Electrical/Electronic engineering. My dad has been an Australian citizen in Perth, WA for almost two years now.

I'm asking, what is the best route to go down? I've searched online and there are so many visas I don't know which is the best way

Thanks

Tom

For a skilled visa you will need post qualification experience - it is only AFTER you quaify that the experience counts.

You father ay be abe to sponsor you, but that only gives some extra points. It may be useful but it is unlikely to get you over the hurdle of lack of experience. You can check immi.gov.au and have a look at the SOL list. I believe your occupation is on there. Next to the occupation will be a number. Google this number and it will tell you what is needed to pass the skills assessment.

Alternativly you coul call a registered migration agent such as Go Matilda who will normally do a initial assessment of your case for free

Hello,try a family migration visa..as your dad is a citizen it should be easy..as long as you are of good character and he agrees to look after you ie you won`t be able to claim any benefits in oz...should all be on a .gov.au website..all the best

Think you're a bit out of date...

There's no 'Family Migration' visa and hasn't been for very many years.

The most that having a close family member here will do for you nowadays is provide a few points.

Hello,try a family migration visa..as your dad is a citizen it should be easy..as long as you are of good character and he agrees to look after you ie you won`t be able to claim any benefits in oz...should all be on a .gov.au website..all the best

The closest thing to that now is the last remaining relative. But that takes up to 15 years to process and is not that easy to qualify for

Hi All,

I'm after some information regarding whether i'm able to apply to migrate and what is the best route to go down.

Firstly I'm 21 years old, just about to complete a four year apprenticeship in electrical/electronic engineering and a month off completing a HNC in Electrical/Electronic engineering. My dad has been an Australian citizen in Perth, WA for almost two years now.

I'm asking, what is the best route to go down? I've searched online and there are so many visas I don't know which is the best way

Thanks

Tom

Was your father an Australian citizen when you were born?

Have a look on Child Visa subclass 802, as long you're dependent to your father... but there's full time study for student required, this visa go up to age of 25 years old. (The only exception to the age limit and full time student requirement is where the child has a disability that stop them from working which is mentioned in the child visa booklet.)

The onshore is 802, offshore is 101 for child visa.

For a skilled visa you will need post qualification experience - it is only AFTER you quaify that the experience counts.

You father ay be abe to sponsor you, but that only gives some extra points. It may be useful but it is unlikely to get you over the hurdle of lack of experience. You can check immi.gov.au and have a look at the SOL list. I believe your occupation is on there. Next to the occupation will be a number. Google this number and it will tell you what is needed to pass the skills assessment.

Alternativly you coul call a registered migration agent such as Go Matilda who will normally do a initial assessment of your case for free

When you google the job number, that isn't actually what you need to pass the skills assessment. That is the BASIC requirements. This would be enough to get a 457 visa, but often not to pass a skills assessment. That is why so many people have no choice than to do the two years in the hope for pr at the end.

When you google the job number, that isn't actually what you need to pass the skills assessment. That is the BASIC requirements. This would be enough to get a 457 visa, but often not to pass a skills assessment. That is why so many people have no choice than to do the two years in the hope for pr at the end.

Thanks for all of your help, its great to get a response.

Is a skills assessment always necessary? I presumed that as I am only recently completing my qualifications that I would not need to be reassessed? Would my current qualifications not be transferable to prove I am able to do the job? I understand that maybe a few more years experience will help though.

The skills assessment is required if you want a state sponsored, skilled independent visa and some employer sponsored visa.

This is because they have people come from all over the world, and you are not actually assessed just based on your qualifications. It's your occupation which you are assessed on. That is why you need experience. It's normally a few years experience on top of your qualification. There are a tiny number that you can use just a qualification.

Okay thats good to know. Also Im heading out at Easter for almost a month, is it worth me talking to migration agencies in Oz to determine my eligibility or would I be better doing it here in the UK? Likewise I was thinking about visiting some job agencies whilst in Perth, would you recommend that even though I don't have a visa yet?

I would talk to a MARA agent before coming over. You know then if it is even worth chatting to employment agencies, although agencies are notoriously bad if you don't have a visa.

Make sure you don't bring anything which will make it look like you are looking for work. If they find a cv etc you will get refused entry at the airport and banned for three years.

Archived