Looking for some advice

GordonC

Hi all looking for some advice manybe some one may have experiance they can tell me about.

So me and the wife are going to the down under live show in Glasgow we are going for some advice on visas and things was wondering if there is any questions we should really be asking?

We have been looking into some things ourselfs i am a panel beater and think i could get a sponsored visa fairly easy however im not sure what to expect with a sponsor i.e what they may offer and what they may want in return?

Any advice would be great

These expos seem to bring about mixed reviews... I've never been to one, but my piece of advice would be don't hand over any money to anyone on the day, don't sign up with anyone - anyone who is genuine about their/your business will be happy to hear from you in a few days or so after some thinking time. If you decide to go with an agent for any part of the process make sure they are MARA registered, get their registration number, and check it out, and google some reviews of the compan BEFORE handing over any cash.

Tickled pink thanks for your advice. I have heard mixed thinks about the expos aswell i have no intention to sign or hand any money over on the day. My mind set is that i could always try go it ourselfs dont need a pushy sales person lol also there is plenty of agents out there. Thanks again will update this post after the show

Hi Gordon

be wary of the 457 visa, make sure you have looked into it as it has restrictions with it eg if you don't like your job or you are made redundant you have 90 days to find another employer to take on your sponsorship otherwise you have to leave the country. Also if you have kids they will have to pay school fees. Maybe when at the expo ask some advice about the different visa option and the pros and cons of each.

Hi Gordon

Your right you can do it all yourselfs if needed.

Myself and OH both work in the same industry as you and getting sponsorship is fairly straight forward if that is the route you want to take.

As has been said, don't go handing any money over.

if you wanted to go the 457 route then best to apply to the companies direct, depending what area you are looking at. Can't say for all companies but it shouldn't cost any money for the visas. Ours pays for them and also the flights, use of a car for 6 weeks and can help with but not pay for initial accommodation.

What do they want in return...well same as any bodyshop really, someone who is going to sell hours. The work is the same as is the stresses!! If your good at your job you will make decent money, top guys coming out with $1800 a week after tax. But different shops will work on different bonus systems.

Do your research on any company your thinking about applying to. Ask to speak to some poms who are already there, get the low down on that particular shop.

good luck

I have 7 years experience and currently work in a main dealer bodyshop as a met technician/stripper fitter. 27 currently single and would be moving by myself, I would love to move even if its just for a year for the experience and see how it goes.

How do you go about getting someone to sponsor you what costs are involved and who pays? , if it doesnt work out do you have to pay anything back? How long does it take?

How do you go about doing this ive looked at bodyshops on google au and they seem very small places are there are any large bonus shops out there with similar set up to uk strippers, panel beaters, sprayers

Its hard to find the information you need. I am looking for advice as well to point me in the right direction

Hi GordonC, I was at the expo at the secc last year,, was really helpful. John Adams (who is a registered migration agent) and his Immigration 2 oz team based in surrey go to the down under live shows ( I am currently using them for my visa process). They do a free assessment on the day which you are not tied to in any way, they will point you towards the best visa for you, there are also stands for banking, shipping, job vacancies and other things too, they do seminars throughout the day which can be really informative and also have leaflets or booklets for you to take away and read through to help you too. Hope this is of some use to you, Gavin.

Thought i would update this post. Just been to down under live today and have came back with more questions than answers lol. i have been thinking about going for a 457 sponsored visa but from what was spoken about today its not the best option. It seems imigration companies reccomend a permanent visa my worry with going down this route is shelling out around £7000 for each of us get all the way to Aus only not to like it and be out of all that money and come home with nothing. Where as with the sponsor at least i wouldnt be out as much money and could still apply for permanent visa out there. Has anyone had problems with a 457 visa?

Archived