Really struggling at the moment

Aunt Agatha

My MIL has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and we can't afford to move home until December at the earliest. I suggested that my DH went home by himself for a visit but, because we went for a three week holiday in Sept and we are moving back permanently soon, he thinks the money (which we haven't really got TBH) is better spent on the move. If things take a turn he will of course go straight back.

My Dad is also facing some major health issues and is having surgery next week.

I feel so stressed and upset and stuck because I can't MAKE the move happen any sooner. For the first time I feel trapped.

So sorry to hear this AA, sounds like a terribly stressful time for you. I'm sure you've looked into everything to see if you can move before December, and I don't have any suggestions to move things along, but hope the time passes quickly for you.

So sorry to hear that AA! Finances (or lack thereof) are really trapping. Wish I had the answer for you, but short of taking another job (for which the tax man will than you) or selling all your stuff I doubt there is much else but sit and wait. Hope all goes well with your folk in the meantime

If there is nothing more you can do financially,then please try and find some acceptance of the situation.Know that by ringing or using skype to stay connected is all you can do and the best you can do at this particular time.Be kind to yourselves,and take some time each day to totally relax.Best wishes for a speedy recovery to both your parents.

I really feel for you - I think you should plan for the possibility that at least one of you may need (want) to make a trip, a friends father had his liver partially removed due to cancer and just knowing she could fly home if she needed was enough and in the end she didn't go and her dad had the operation and continues to be in remission.

I am just glad I was home before my dad was hospitalised - he was in over Christmas and the thought that I could have still been in Australia with my dad in hospital and my mam on her own doesn't bear thinking about (they have no-one but me).

Thanks LR, DH is prepared to fly home if needed - as am I for my Dad.

I am very sad that I won't be back before my Dad goes in for his surgery but the trip home a few months ago was partly because of his ill health and we just can't afford to keep doing it sadly. It will be so nice to live in the same country and know they are a short drive away. Thankfully my sister lives 5 mins away from them and has been wonderful.

I'm sure your Dad's surgery will go well.

Meanwhile you've just got to try and really focus and keep on top of your finances. Really have a good look at your 'moving back' budget and see if anything can be trimmed, for example do you need to ship back everything or can you try and sell stuff and then use a Move Cube or something? Is there anything more you can do to reduce outgoings in the mean time? Any assets you can liquify just to get things moving quicker?

Aside from all that, don't be afraid to have a good cry! I know I usually feel better afterwards and often just need to get it out of my system before I can pick up and carry on.

Thank you emmab xx

Thanks too fourcorners, we are on top of our finances and we are selling things and planning on using a movecube. We might be able to shave a couple of months off our departure date but when you weigh that against the thousands we'd lose by not waiting for the bonus we can't justify it. We'd like to move with a little bit of cash rather than being close to the wire as soon as we get back. Horrible that money plays such a big part but there it is.

I haven't allowed myself a cry yet but no doubt I'll bang my elbow or something tomorrow and the floodgates will open!

So sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time at the moment. Sounds like you have some plans in place but it's still hard being far away and feeling helpless.

We're all here if you need to vent. Thinking of you x

Archived