Medicals - the weigh in

M1cha3la

Being overweight - even morbidly obese - is not considered by the medical profession to be a medical condition. It simply increases your risk of developing a medical condition. This is the justification used by doctors for not spending their time treating body weight issues in otherwise health people. Therefore, you would not fail the Australian migration medical on body weight alone.

Having said that, if your BMI is around 45 then it is important to lose weight - doing so will greatly increase the quality of your life and help you live significantly longer. But you know that already.

Apologise if this has been asked before. But how strict are they with weight at medicals? Will you fail for being over weight?

We have ours booked for the end of Feb, which is sooner than I hoped as I need to loose a few lbs :goofy:

You must have beefed up since the photo M1cha3la. Don't think there's a pass and fail weight but your doctor might suggest you lose weight. One of our friends doctors told her she was "morbidly obese" on a recent visit, she was devastated and said she won't go back to him again. Problem is he was right.:cool:

I am so pleased to read this thread! I have my medical booked for tomorrow (30th April) at Manchester with Dr Smith, and with a BMI of around 45 I have been worried to death about failing! I have been monitoring my blood pressure at home & even bought a diabetic blood glucose monitor to check all will be ok! Thankfully everything has always been fine, but I know I wont sleep tonight! Its an awful lot of money & dreams riding on this move for us & our 3 children! I can't wait to have a glass of wine & an Easter egg tomorrow when its all over! :)

Great that you will have no problems with the visa, but is the wine and chocolate not perhaps part of the reason the BMI is in the range of "morbid obesity" with the attendant risks of premature death and certain risk of chronic ill health?

Aw don't tell her what she already knows. She will do what she wants to do when she is ready if she wants. No amount of pressure works not even good intention pressure. I'm nearly 4 and a half stone llighter since that medical but at that time if that Doctor had pointed it out I'd have reached for the nearest red wine put my fingers in my ears and said lalalalala.

I am so pleased to read this thread! I have my medical booked for tomorrow (30th April) at Manchester with Dr Smith, and with a BMI of around 45 I have been worried to death about failing! I have been monitoring my blood pressure at home & even bought a diabetic blood glucose monitor to check all will be ok! Thankfully everything has always been fine, but I know I wont sleep tonight! Its an awful lot of money & dreams riding on this move for us & our 3 children! I can't wait to have a glass of wine & an Easter egg tomorrow when its all over! :)

My panel doc told me anything over 30 (or it might have been 35) means an automatic referral even with an A grade medical pass. Chances are it may be referred as a matter of course. Should be fine though if everything else is in order.

"I can't wait to have a glass of wine & an Easter egg tomorrow when its all over! :)" - just a bit of humour to relieve the tension!

"I'd have reached for the nearest red wine put my fingers in my ears and said lalalalala." - hahaha! thats spot on, thanks Que Sera, Sera!

Since Xmas I have been really good & have lost over 3st - my BMI was much higher not very long ago! I was expecting a bit longer to shift the weight but we were invited within a week of submitting the EOI! So I will be rightly enjoying my Easter egg that I have saved for this evening! I will be taking along my Slimming World book as back up! Wish me luck.... x

"I can't wait to have a glass of wine & an Easter egg tomorrow when its all over! :)" - just a bit of humour to relieve the tension!

"I'd have reached for the nearest red wine put my fingers in my ears and said lalalalala." - hahaha! thats spot on, thanks Que Sera, Sera!

Since Xmas I have been really good & have lost over 3st - my BMI was much higher not very long ago! I was expecting a bit longer to shift the weight but we were invited within a week of submitting the EOI! So I will be rightly enjoying my Easter egg that I have saved for this evening! I will be taking along my Slimming World book as back up! Wish me luck.... x

Well done You are well on your way, you'll be more motivated when you get here and feel the sunshine. Good luck on your journey, both real and the weight loss one :hug:

Archived