Please comment or advise on which VISA route to take?

jackaryus

I will try and keep this as simple as possible!! - We are a close family unit with 4 children (13, 10, 8 & 6 yrs) all VERY keen make the move.

Our issue is this - I'm 46 yrs (so no points here) I have worked my way up from being a mechanical engineer to manufacturing management and over the past 6 yrs having my own management consultancy. I have all my trade qualifications through to an MBA. Even though I have an MBA I don't possess a Bachelors Degree (so I only get 10 points not 15) in short I don't have enough points to qualify, therefore, I think the best route for me would be the sponsored 457 visa, if I do this, what do I need to do whilst in Australia to finally get permanent residency? and what would my chances be? to many horror stories about having to return...

The other route is that my wife is 36 yrs and is a hairdresser, but has not worked since having the children, plus she only has an NVQ level 2 qualification therefore, she will need to go back to college and gain her NVQ level 3 and also start work to gain employment for over 12 months to show she knows her stuff, once she does this she will have enough points - BUT this is too long to wait, as we really want to get out there ASAP.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO!!

Wait 12-18 months and use my wife as the main applicant with 60 points or get sponsored and take our chance whilst in OZ to get PR?

A huge thing to consider, with four children in school, is depending on where you go you will have to pay school fees. WA have just started it $4000 per child - I think....

Also, on a 457 you will be entitled to very little, this includes healthcare related things for the kids. You get the basics under a reciprocal agreement, but that's it.

There are lots and lots of drawbacks to people going on a 457 with children in particular, do some searching on here and go with your eyes open if you take this route.

WOW!!!! - I did not know about the school fees!!!, is this only applicable to a 457 visa or for any visa? - what else do I not know, that I should know, as I have some interest from companies in Australia, but the revelation on schools fee costs will have a significant effect on any decision.

Also if we get a visa through my wife in 18 months (190, 189, 187, 186 on her hairdresser skill set) - do she need to perform the hairdressing job in Australia to get PR?

You should run your case past a registered migration agent.

From what you have posted - employer sponsorship for yourself would be the likely route. I dont think your wife would qualify, as you need 3 years post qualification work experience to get a positive skills assessment. Plus she would need state nomination, NT are currently nominating Hairdressers, you would need £65K+ in assets to get nominating from NT. There is so much changes that in 18 months time there is no guarantee any states will still be nominating hairdressers.

Another point to consider is that Employers are not obliged to sponsor for PR. If you did not gain PR before you turned 50 you would need to work for the same employer for 4 years on 457 earning the High earning threshold for each of those years to be eligible, again if employer agrees.

Some states already charge school fees for 457 visa holders. NSW $4500 per child.

If you lose or leave your job on a 457 you will have 90 days to find new sponsor or leave Australia.

Personally I would not move to Australia on a 457 visa with children.

As stated above, WA brought in the school fee's quite suddenly shocking many 457 visa holders already there and causing them financial difficulties. Some states don't currently charge 457 visa holders however, who knows when this will change. A PR visa would be your best bet as you will avoid school fee's unless you go down the private school root. Lots of migration agents will offer initial advice free of charge initially and then if you find you are suitable for an appropriate visa its up to you whether to proceed with or without them.

My FIL is past 45 and he is planning on moving to NZ, somewhere that he loves anyway and then a couple of years later considering moving over to Australia as all 3 of his sons are planning on migrating to Australia. I think he stated NZ visa holders are free to work in Aus or NZ. I don't know the logistics or if this is an option for you? Again, something only a migration agent could advise.

The visa situation is complex and if time is an issue your best bet would be to get professional advice as soon as possible.

I think he stated NZ visa holders are free to work in Aus or NZ.

No they're not. New Zealand citizens are free to work in Australia - and even then it's only on a temporary visa.

Anyone wanting to use NZ as a back door to get into Australia needs to live and work in NZ for five years before they're eligible for NZ citizenship.

Does anyone know what is required to turn a 457 visa into a PR visa when in Australia, what are the hoops to go through e.g. assessment criteria, or is it more a case of the employer being able to add some weight on the PR

yes a two year wait for a ENS, A company willing to nominate you and foot the fees and meet the criteria of the ens and you must also meet the criteria of the medical examinations

So just to summerise:

If I gain a 457 4 year sponsored visa, work for the same employer for 2 yrs and they are willing to support the ENS visa process, plus I pass the medicals then I can assume the PR visa is straight forward and achievable from a 457 visa? (Oh I need to do it all before I'm 50, this gives me just over 3.8 years)

Can I ask if anyone has gone down this route with a family in tow? and it was successful!! or was it touch and go? - As I do not want to come back to the UK......

No they're not. New Zealand citizens are free to work in Australia - and even then it's only on a temporary visa.

Anyone wanting to use NZ as a back door to get into Australia needs to live and work in NZ for five years before they're eligible for NZ citizenship.

Thankyou, I tried to be careful with my wording as I only had a brief conversation with my DH dad, he perhaps understands all of that. I think if he had his way he would choose to live in NZ and fly over to visit! Just thought it may be an option of last resorts.

No, there is no need to work for an employer for two years. The 186 visa has two streams, one is for people who have worked for the same employer, the other stream is for people who haven't. The main difference is a skills assessment prior to two years, or being eligible for exemption from that.

But basically, an employer can sponsor you for ENS 186 from day one, the difficulty is finding an employer willing to do that.

Thanks for the clarification - It is reassuring that there are various avenues to PR, even through the 457 route, but gaining a ENS would be the best and potentially safest option for us..

I have had some good feedback from employers already so fingers crossed I can pursued them to go the ENS route from the start - I guess the bigger the company the better the chance of long term employment stability...

Archived