Joining the Army Reserves on a 457 Visa

Wesso1715

Hi all...I moved to Victoria with my work last year on a 457 visa and so far so good and very happy. I am from the UK and still an active Army Reservist (on an approved leave of absence) but I am very interested in working with and getting attached to an Australian Reserve Unit...I know there is a mechanism for those on a PR visa...I don't know if it is possible on a 457. I have a lot of practical and operational experience and just want to learn more and keep up to date whilst I am over here. I think it would be a great opportunity, just don't want to cock up my visa by doing it without permission....

Oh, that's a blow...a big one. I do know that there is a memorandum in place that will let you do it somehow but its the 457 visa that is the issue...I cant afford to cock up the job or visa...I am only allowed to work for my employer. Do the DIAC have an walk in advice centre at all...I hate calling the call centre!

Oh, that's a blow...a big one. I do know that there is a memorandum in place that will let you do it somehow but its the 457 visa that is the issue...I cant afford to cock up the job or visa...I am only allowed to work for my employer. Do the DIAC have an walk in advice centre at all...I hate calling the call centre!

You have to be either a Citizen or a Permanent Resident who meets the requirements for citizenship (ie. lived in Australia for 4 years 1 of as PR)

The Army do offer a lateral transfer to PR with citizenship after 3 months but that's a full time commitment.

They won't touch you on a 457, you couldn't even serve a coffee in the NAAFI.

Archived