Passport renewal,

JohnB43

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for a passport renewal and on the application form they ask for 'Un-cancelled Non-British Passports'. Does this mean I have to send them my current Australian passport and if so ...why? I don't see the point nor am I happy in sending them my Aussie passport. Comments welcome please......

JohnB43

'Un-cancelled Non-British Passports'.

OP is asking about Non-British ones.

think there was a similar post recently as the form changed this year.

i don't know the answer though. Think it was something to do with people who are not allowed to have dual nationalities/passports having to surrender their other citizenship in order to hold a UK passport.

I was wondering whether governments keep in touch with each other regarding dual nationality.

I wonder if the Australian authorities know or track that I'm also a British citizen and have a current British passport as well as my Australian one

I was wondering whether governments keep in touch with each other regarding dual nationality.

I wonder if the Australian authorities know or track that I'm also a British citizen and have a current British passport as well as my Australian one

I guess it's in the records somewhere if you held a visa or applied for citizenship by descent (not sure what your story is)

I can almost guarantee it's on a US database though!

OP is asking about Non-British ones.

think there was a similar post recently as the form changed this year.

i don't know the answer though. Think it was something to do with people who are not allowed to have dual nationalities/passports having to surrender their other citizenship in order to hold a UK passport.

Yes that is correct, it is to do with duel nationality, the UK & Aus have no problems with this but some countries do not allow it, so if you hold any other citizenships, you need to check what that country's stance is. Also I believe you do have to send in all current passports and they will be returned, but you could enquire about the need to send them and how (registered post?) to satisfy yourself's.

The changes were not well advertised, just glad I did mine last year before the changes.

I guess it's in the records somewhere if you held a visa or applied for citizenship by descent (not sure what your story is)

I can almost guarantee it's on a US database though!

Does that mean you see a problem with it being on a US or any other database? I would be more worried if no-one was tracking who has what passport and have an idea where they are.

Not a problem for me. Been in and out the US so often and had my fingerprints scanned (Malaysia too, but just my index fingers)

I meant that the US have a liking for capturing information of any sort, just in case it could be useful but I'm sure most governments are up on this sort of thing.

Well in my case I was granted Australian citizenship as a child in the 70s, by descent.

I am automatically a British citizen by birth, but only applied for my first British passport in 2010.

I don't think the Australian authorities would know I applied for and was issued with a British passport in 2010, unless the UK FCO advised them.

I'm not a criminal but always wondered where people are charged and ordered to surrender their passport, whether the authorities would know if they also held a passport from another country.

always wondered where people are charged and ordered to surrender their passport

I don't think someone would be charged, but I do know of a guy who had dual nationality for some EU country (escapes me at the moment) as well as Australia, the EU country didn't like that he had a dual citizenship so they made him 'surrender' his Australian passport. He promptly reported it as stolen and got a new one.

Archived