Going back - how did you do it?

3FatCats

Ok, you can probably tell from some of my last posts I am stressing out quite a bit about this whole returning thing and fear is paralysing me... I read of all the returnees, and for the most part it all seems to work out ok in the end.

But, how did you all actually do it? What I mean is, did you have family or friends to stay with until you got back on your feet, or did you go back to your own properties and lived off savings to pay mortgages etc until one of you found jobs? Did anyone leave a tennant in a property and rent themselves to ensure their mortgage still got paid, and considered moving elsewhere or to move back after a while?

I would love to hear your stories, there may be some pearls of wisdom for me! :wubclub: I just can't seem to figure out the next step forward.....

P.s. Does anyone want a lodger/housekeeper/aupair??? :wideeyed:

I came with my backpack for a holiday and just didn't go back. We live in my parents house because they need the support. Far from ideal but it's what is needed to keep them in their own home. I kinda like the spontaneous approach to things. My son did much the same when he came here with his backpack except he moved out of his short term digs with the olds to live in a flat in London. We've always been a spur of the moment kind of family. Fortunately we are both retired but both have been offered work even though we don't want it. Socially it has been easy, getting into interest groups has been a doddle and I've made some good friends in the process. Don't have a mortgage so can't help you there I'm afraid.

We stayed with a mate of mine for a couple of weeks.I got a full time job after a week!Have you thought....about maybe applying for jobs with accomo?The Lady magazine often advertises jobs with accomo all over the UK.Example you could be taking care of someone's house plus abit of after school care for their kids,and your OH could be doing the gardening and looking after their animals (Whilst the owners work)and in exchange you both get paid plus have separate living quarters?I once considered doing this with my OH.An old lady wanted some help with housework and abit of cooking (She wanted me to help make loads of jams ect for charity I think?)My OH could stay in his job,but wow the cottage she was offering to us for free was amazing!In the end I declined but that was only because we decided in the end that we should move further south.

We had an investment property in the UK so we gave the tenants notice and that was waiting for us empty when we got back - our container was still in transit though so we stayed at my parents for a few days and then at a friends house for two weeks (who conveniently left for a holiday in Florida just as we arrived back!), so was ahppy for us to stay longer but it would have been a squish so with just a week to wait before our container we took off on a tour of Scotland by Premier Inn :)

We had equity from the sale of our house in Australia so we lived on that until I got a job - I didn't look for the first 6 weeks as I wanted to get settled first and get my son in school, it took 3 weeks to find something when I did.

Our move was planned meticulously over a year and everything just slotted into place - kind of weird because going to Australia everything that could have gone wrong did, on the way back the reverse was true - never one for spirituality I now feel we were in the wrong place in Australia and the universe conspired to get us back.

We bought a house on line and picked up the keys when we landed....was very scary as it needed completely renovating and extending but we knew the area and we guessed it would be easier to get a mortgage based on salary in Oz (still have no idea how we managed to do it but we did). We were lucky enough to stay with friends (there are 5 of us so it was a squeeze) for 10 weeks while the renovations took place (Re wiring, re piping new kitchen, bathrooms, installing new central heating, new floors etc).

Husband got a job pretty son after. We'd only been away for 8 months s we fit straight back in....although friends of ours did exactly same as us at the same time and they'd been away for nearly 6 years, very daunting but possible. Good luck xx

First time we went back we stayed with my mum. It was only ever supposed to be short term whilst we got jobs but we ended up staying 12 months before I got a job in Cornwall, other end of the country. My OH stayed a further 6 months with mum while I stayed with Dad and looked for a house to buy. My OH's new job in Cornwall and our house sale all happened during the same month so we did end up moving in together. Was difficult living with parents (esp. Dad and step-mum!) but we managed and made it through the other side!

This time around we are currently trying to secure a job for my OH before we go back, and depending on where that is either move into our old house or find a rental near the job. All complicated by our baby being due in mid-April. So not sure if 2 or 3 of us will be flying back but it will certainly be interesting! Having now made 4 international moves the best course of action is usually just try and go with the flow. Easier said than done for many people but things do have a tendency to fall into place, you just have to place a certain amount of trust in both yourselves and in fate to some extent. My partner is obsessing about details already like whether to take a baby car seat or pre-order one at Halfords near Heathrow, or even pre-buy a car and pick it up when we land.

Just try making some small steps, start making inquiries about jobs, then in the areas of interest start seeing what's available rent-wise. Start thinking about what you want to take back and consider getting some shipping quotes. The exact order you do things in will depend on what you want to prioritise. Is the area more important? Or is the perfect job more important? Do you stand a chance of securing work before going? How soon do you want to go?

We bought a house on line and picked up the keys when we landed....was very scary as it needed completely renovating and extending but we knew the area and we guessed it would be easier to get a mortgage based on salary in Oz (still have no idea how we managed to do it but we did). We were lucky enough to stay with friends (there are 5 of us so it was a squeeze) for 10 weeks while the renovations took place (Re wiring, re piping new kitchen, bathrooms, installing new central heating, new floors etc).

Husband got a job pretty son after. We'd only been away for 8 months s we fit straight back in....although friends of ours did exactly same as us at the same time and they'd been away for nearly 6 years, very daunting but possible. Good luck xx

I hope you don't mind me asking who did you get your mortgage with? Likewise, our salary is greater in Oz than back home but didn't think that sort of thing was possible. Cheers.

I hope you don't mind me asking who did you get your mortgage with? Likewise, our salary is greater in Oz than back home but didn't think that sort of thing was possible. Cheers.

It was with the Halifax, not sure what sort of mortgage it was as we shouldn't have qualified for an expat mortgage given the fact that my husband is an Aussie and therefore a foreign national. TBH I think they just didn't have a clue but because we had a good amount of capital and a job offer in writing they let us have one (even though they based it on his Oz salary-very bizarre). We thought better than landing on these shores and only being in new employment....it worked for us. Good luck. I do have a number of a broker if you want to PM me...he was very helpful but couldn't do anything for us with my husband being Australian-may be worth a call.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn for 2 weeks, booked it well in advance when offers were on and got it for around £15 a night for a family room. During the 2 weeks there I got my kids into school my registering them at my mums, who lived in the area we wanted to live in then found a furnished apartment with a lease for 6 months but had to pay the full 6 months rent up front. I got my dad to have a look around for second hand cars while I was still in Oz, he put a deposit on one and I paid for it and picked it up the day after I arrived.

Everything else just fell into place, I was offered a job and we moved into our own home 6 months later.....my husband joined us 4 months later and we could not be happier.

Good luck!