I move back to the UK 1 year ago... Oh my, I really wish I hadn't bothered!

Splash77

I don't know much of the history of your previous postings, but I am sure if I looked over my emails/postings over the past 7 years we have been here I would have written some good, bad and ugly emails/postings depending on my mood/feelings at that time!!

I think postings like yours Larrson are important, you have had the guts to come back on to the forum and give people an update. I think it is important to have an overall picture and sometimes people can be economical with the truth because they might want to give the impression that they are living the dream or that everything is good, when it isn't. I talk to a lot of people regarding finding work/jobs and some people are really lucky but a lot of people struggle, the problem is they often don't post about it or they don't tell you the full story. So they might post and say I got a job on the second day I arrived. What they don't tell you is that they had a relative living here that put in a good word for them and lined up the interview before they got here, so you are not getting the full picture. By the same token, there are people that post and say I can't get a job, but they don't tell you that someone like me has been emailing them giving them advice/suggestions and they choose to ignore that advice because they think they know better.

I have a friend in the UK that thinks we 'live the dream', I am sure they think we just turned up in Adelaide and magically everything was laid on for us, despite the fact I make it clear that we have had to work hard to get to the position we are in. My friend doesn't work in the UK by choice and when she starts moaning about the state of the UK and how she would love to come and live over here, I point out to her that if she came over here she would probably need to work fulltime 40 hours a week to get themselves established, she soon changes her mind when I say that! I did point out to her the other day that while she is sat at home on a weekday morning, with a cup of tea watching Wanted Down Under, I am at work fulltime!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know much of the history of your previous postings, but I am sure if I looked over my emails/postings over the past 7 years we have been here I would have written some good, bad and ugly emails/postings depending on my mood/feelings at that time!!

I think postings like yours Larrson are important, you have had the guts to come back on to the forum and give people an update. I think it is important to have an overall picture and sometimes people can be economical with the truth because they might want to give the impression that they are living the dream or that everything is good, when it isn't. I talk to a lot of people regarding finding work/jobs and some people are really lucky but a lot of people struggle, the problem is they often don't post about it or they don't tell you the full story. So they might post and say I got a job on the second day I arrived. What they don't tell you is that they had a relative living here that put in a good word for them and lined up the interview before they got here, so you are not getting the full picture. By the same token, there are people that post and say I can't get a job, but they don't tell you that someone like me has been emailing them giving them advice/suggestions and they choose to ignore that advice because they think they know better.

I have a friend in the UK that thinks we 'live the dream', I am sure they think we just turned up in Adelaide and magically everything was laid on for us, despite the fact I make it clear that we have had to work hard to get to the position we are in. My friend doesn't work in the UK by choice and when she starts moaning about the state of the UK and how she would love to come and live over here, I point out to her that if she came over here she would probably need to work fulltime 40 hours a week to get themselves established, she soon changes her mind when I say that! I did point out to her the other day that while she is sat at home on a weekday morning, with a cup of tea watching Wanted Down Under, I am at work fulltime!

Great point jessica ....some of my mates have been to oz , and would like to " live the dream " ...until I tell them work doesn't start at 9 and finish at 4 for their £750 a week ....I was going out on a final visit late yesterday , and they were passing me in their vans going to the pub .

Its 6 nations rugby today ( sat ) ....iam going up the pub to watch it , they will all be in there .....no weekend work either for most of them ......

you can get a great life in oz , but you have to work for it

A few of you's on here will remember me on here, how I dreamed of being back here in England, I wish I'd never bothered I hate it here

yes I was certainly looking through rose tinted Glasses when I moved back so fed up with this gloomy grey depressing lifestyle....

Well I'm making plans to come back and to stay for good...

god I was so close to saying stick your citizenship WHY I felt like that I will never Know...

moving back to the UK has learnt me so much in a way I'm glad I moved back because I would of always been thinking an daydreaming about being here but in reality it's not what I thought, I now know the reasons I left in the first place. I've learnt so much and realised after selling our home our cars giving up our wonderfully paid jobs it was the biggest mistake of our lives!

But I'm determined and I'm gonna get my live back in order.... Yes I have family here in the UK but I now realise you can't live in there pockets And they art gonna pay your bills when times are tough so here's to the future...

I never thought I would say this but Australia is the best place to live in world!!!

I completely agree. The day I left Australia was the worst day of my life. I still remember arriving at Luton Airport and sighing, going oh ****, what have I done.

You'll here a lot of people tell you that UK is great and that it feels like home, but I certainly didn't feel that way. If you have a good job in Australia and you put the work in, it can be second to none. I had it all and unfortunately gave it up. (4 bed detached in Oz converted to cramped terrace in UK). I've felt sick about it for a long time and actually had to get counselling to get over it (it was that bad).

Worst thing was leaving all the good friends behind in Oz. Felt like I was shunning them as if to say, I'm better than Australia. I missed them all so much. Living in Melbourne you could drive 20 mins and be round at your mates house, compared to cross-country in UK (e.g. Yorkshire -> Oxford taking 2 + hours for a visit - arhhhhhh).

And the poverty in UK was a real shock going back. I lived near Leeds and driving through there was horrific. I'm no snob but I just couldn't comprehend how people could live in those tiny semi-detached houses. Just soulless (yes I hear people on here saying Aussie houses are soulless, but they need to wake up. English people have the worst housing conditions in Europe. FACT).

So yes, I'm upset, devastated, etc etc at how stupid people can be. Go to Australia, Build a life (house, cars, jobs), get bored after 5 years and come back to UK. Then think to themselves, Hmmmm, yes Australia does have a lot going for it after all.

Shock value 1 - Houses in UK (Tiny, tiny, tiny, no space, crumbling)

Shock value 2 - Shops (50% closing down)

Shock value 3 - Wages (very low compared to Oz)

Shock value 4 - Commute (friend commutes to London, lucky to get home for 10 pm, great life) (I WILL NEVER MOAN ABOUT 1 hour COMMUTE in OZ EVER AGAIN)

Shock value 5 - Weather (so what do you do at the weekends when its either freezing or pissing down with rain) (YES YES YES YOU CAN GO TO EUROPE - ITS ONLY 1 HOUR TO PARIS BLAH BLAH BLAH IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT - WHO CARES - YOU CAN BE ON THE BEACH HERE IN 30 MINS)

Shock value 6 - People (god the people are miserable, they don't know any better bless 'em)

Shock value 7 - Retirement (my god I don't want to grow old in UK, living in a grubby flat somewhere waiting to die.) (IT HAPPENS)

Shock value 8 - Rorting (Park anywhere - cost money, see anything, cost money, drive anywhere, cost money (Petrol anxiety), breath (cost money). (IN AUSTRALIA YOU CAN GO TO PARKS HAVE FREEEEE BBQ (PAID FOR BY COUNCIL. ENJOY FREE PARKING. FREE ATTRACTIONS). NEED I SAY MORE.

So please please please DONT go back to UK, I'm beggin those guys in their nice comfortable suburban houses, don't do it. Expensive and pointless giving up Australia to live in England, I've done it and wish I hadn't

Great point jessica ....some of my mates have been to oz , and would like to " live the dream " ...until I tell them work doesn't start at 9 and finish at 4 for their £750 a week ....I was going out on a final visit late yesterday , and they were passing me in their vans going to the pub .

Its 6 nations rugby today ( sat ) ....iam going up the pub to watch it , they will all be in there .....no weekend work either for most of them ......

you can get a great life in oz , but you have to work for it

and yet only the other day a '9 day fortnight for tradies' was listed as one of the pluses for living in oz... Experiences will vary..

I completely agree. The day I left Australia was the worst day of my life. I still remember arriving at Luton Airport and sighing, going oh ****, what have I done.

You'll here a lot of people tell you that UK is great and that it feels like home, but I certainly didn't feel that way. If you have a good job in Australia and you put the work in, it can be second to none. I had it all and unfortunately gave it up. (4 bed detached in Oz converted to cramped terrace in UK). I've felt sick about it for a long time and actually had to get counselling to get over it (it was that bad).

Worst thing was leaving all the good friends behind in Oz. Felt like I was shunning them as if to say, I'm better than Australia. I missed them all so much. Living in Melbourne you could drive 20 mins and be round at your mates house, compared to cross-country in UK (e.g. Yorkshire -> Oxford taking 2 + hours for a visit - arhhhhhh).

And the poverty in UK was a real shock going back. I lived near Leeds and driving through there was horrific. I'm no snob but I just couldn't comprehend how people could live in those tiny semi-detached houses. Just soulless (yes I hear people on here saying Aussie houses are soulless, but they need to wake up. English people have the worst housing conditions in Europe. FACT).

So yes, I'm upset, devastated, etc etc at how stupid people can be. Go to Australia, Build a life (house, cars, jobs), get bored after 5 years and come back to UK. Then think to themselves, Hmmmm, yes Australia does have a lot going for it after all.

Shock value 4 - Commute (friend commutes to London, lucky to get home for 10 pm, great life) (I WILL NEVER MOAN ABOUT 1 hour COMMUTE in OZ EVER AGAIN)

Shock value 5 - Weather (so what do you do at the weekends when its either freezing or pissing down with rain) (YES YES YES YOU CAN GO TO EUROPE - ITS ONLY 1 HOUR TO PARIS BLAH BLAH BLAH IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT - WHO CARES - YOU CAN BE ON THE BEACH HERE IN 30 MINS)

Shock value 6 - People (god the people are miserable, they don't know any better bless 'em)

Shock value 7 - Retirement (my god I don't want to grow old in UK, living in a grubby flat somewhere waiting to die.) (IT HAPPENS)

Shock value 8 - Rorting (Park anywhere - cost money, see anything, cost money, drive anywhere, cost money (Petrol anxiety), breath (cost money). (IN AUSTRALIA YOU CAN GO TO PARKS HAVE FREEEEE BBQ (PAID FOR BY COUNCIL. ENJOY FREE PARKING. FREE ATTRACTIONS). NEED I SAY MORE.

So please please please DONT go back to UK, I'm beggin those guys in their nice comfortable suburban houses, don't do it. Expensive and pointless giving up Australia to live in England, I've done it and wish I hadn't

I really cannot understand your post, all the things you dislike about the UK were there before you left unless you have a very short memory or are on a wind up I cannot believe they have changed in such a short time, you obviously disliked oz as you returned to the UK.

and yet only the other day a '9 day fortnight for tradies' was listed as one of the pluses for living in oz... Experiences will vary..

9 day fortnight for tradies....:biglaugh: Let's get real and tell it as it is.....12 day fortnight for the vast majority.

Not often the word soulless comes up with regards UK. At least the pension isn't means tested. OZ you are penalized for building up something. Expensive well that would describe OZ. Plenty return and like it. Growing old in youthful Australia no easy thing also.

Oz may or may not prove more suitable. Perhaps you are not in a better area.

OP Can you explain what makes you say the UK is a "disgrace"? I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely interested as we are moving back to England after 10 years in Aus.

Hi Aunt Agatha,

i think you will notice a huge difference in uk after being away for 10 years. The difference here from me having my first born 8 years ago to now is considerably different. I can list differences and you can decide yourself whether or not it's an issue to you. Firstly i live in Kent. House prices here have gone up and are still rising. Gas and electricity have soared in price. Council tax has risen. Petrol and diesel have gone up massively compared with 10 years ago. There's more cars on the road. Wages have definitely not kept up with cost of living. The weather is frigging terrible, cold and depressing. I know you get natural disasters in oz but a lot of places in uk at moment are flooded. You need your heating on lots of the year. Food is a lot more expensive compared to ten years ago. Schools are failing and being turned into academies all the time. I walk through my local town and hardly hear another English voice, so not understanding who is around me, I don't like it. Not got anything against these people but I seriously feel like I'm living in Romania or Bulgaria or Slovakia amongst other places as everyone's speaking everything other than English. Child benefit has been reduced for some. Used to get working tax credits they were stopped. More and more green spaces taken up with building more houses to try meeting the demand but they don't build new schools or hospitals so these services are stretched to the limit. Streets are dirty and always have to dodge the dogs poo! but family and friends are hear in uk and the chocolate is much nicer in UK.

Hi Aunt Agatha,

i think you will notice a huge difference in uk after being away for 10 years. The difference here from me having my first born 8 years ago to now is considerably different. I can list differences and you can decide yourself whether or not it's an issue to you. Firstly i live in Kent. House prices here have gone up and are still rising. Gas and electricity have soared in price. Council tax has risen. Petrol and diesel have gone up massively compared with 10 years ago. There's more cars on the road. Wages have definitely not kept up with cost of living. The weather is frigging terrible, cold and depressing. I know you get natural disasters in oz but a lot of places in uk at moment are flooded. You need your heating on lots of the year. Food is a lot more expensive compared to ten years ago. Schools are failing and being turned into academies all the time. I walk through my local town and hardly hear another English voice, so not understanding who is around me, I don't like it. Not got anything against these people but I seriously feel like I'm living in Romania or Bulgaria or Slovakia amongst other places as everyone's speaking everything other than English. Child benefit has been reduced for some. Used to get working tax credits they were stopped. More and more green spaces taken up with building more houses to try meeting the demand but they don't build new schools or hospitals so these services are stretched to the limit. Streets are dirty and always have to dodge the dogs poo! but family and friends are hear in uk and the chocolate is much nicer in UK.

Time to move to a better area I feel

Hi Aunt Agatha,

Think you will find oz has all the same problems kellie, and yes the weather is not very nice but it's the winter after a long warm and sunny summer, what were you expecting? Don't know where you come from but it is not the UK I live in.

Go on? We are in uk at mo and planning on moving this year to Gold Coast. I'm happy to hear your views on Aus as I gave mine on uk.

Perth for 3 years, just found the place boring and with very little buzz, oz has got the same problems with crime anti social behaviour drug and alcohol problems with kids as the UK, found it very very expensive especially food and drink and to earn enough to live you had to work far longer hours than in the UK, everyone seems to be in bed by about 9pm in the week.....Perth wasn't fir me but that's me and other people like it, as I have said before oz has the same problems as anywhere ant programmes like wish you were here etc paint a very different story of what life is really like, your bro might love it and I hope he does but for me it was not the right place.

p.s I live in Stratford upon avon near the Cotswolds.

I am not questioning that this is YOUR experience but you cannot generalise to the whole of the UK - MY experience is completely different.

Housing - couldn't afford to buy a house anywhere near the size or quality I had in the UK. Currently living in a 3-bed semi (so what?), where would I be living in Perth for the equivalent of £350 a MONTH?

Shops - a few high street names have disappeared whilst we were away but even my parents home town Middlesbrough is looking pretty healthy to me - far better than I expected from the doom and gloom merchants on here. Edinburgh and Glasgow are as vibrant as ever.

Wages - I do the same job in the UK and earn marginally more. And that was after 5 years of working my way back up in Australia - we'd have been financially much better off to stay in the UK (& we knew that when we left but we didn't move to Oz for the money)

Commute - entirely depends where you live, I worked in London for 13 years and hated the commute from Kent/Essex. I drive 30 mins now, free parking and work from home pretty much whenever I fancy - which has been every day this week so far :) It's not a Oz v UK issue in my mind at all.

Weather - brilliant summer, winter hasn't stopped me doing anything so far - no more than the heat in Perth anyway. I can't imagine the weather near Leeds has been worse than Scotland and it has rarely been freezing or pissing down with rain & there is plenty to do here when it is. On balance the weather is better in Australia I won't argue with that though :) Surely that doesn't come as a shock to anyone returning though?

People - you get what you give, only yesterday I was thinking how much friendlier people are here as everyone spoke as I took a walk along the canal.

Retirement - I am looking forward to retirement here in maybe 12 years - I had over 20 years left on my mortgage in Perth. The lower cost of living means my pension (of virtually the same amount - since most of it is in UK funds) will go much further and with a far more robust welfare safety net I think the probability of a miserable 'waiting to die' retirement is lower for ME in the UK

'Rorting' - yes you will pay to park in urban areas - as you do in Perth/Fremantle and I'm sure in other cities. Most places are free evenings and Sundays. There is an incredible amount of free attractions - I was in London to catch up with friends visiting from Australia for a weekend and everything we did was free. Not knocking the free BBQ's but there are only so many times you can have a free BBQ at the beach you can have before brain rot sets in.

To be honest if anything I'd say please please DON'T go to Australia, I'm beggin those guys in their nice comfortable suburban houses, don't do it. Expensive and pointless giving up UK to live in Australia, I've done it and wish I hadn't.

But I don't because I realise it is just my perspective, just because Australia didn't give ME a better life, doesn't mean it won't give others. Ditto just because it was a mistake for you coming back to the UK doesn't mean it will be for everyone.

I am not questioning that this is YOUR experience but you cannot generalise to the whole of the UK - MY experience is completely different.

Housing - couldn't afford to buy a house anywhere near the size or quality I had in the UK. Currently living in a 3-bed semi (so what?), where would I be living in Perth for the equivalent of £350 a MONTH?

Shops - a few high street names have disappeared whilst we were away but even my parents home town Middlesbrough is looking pretty healthy to me - far better than I expected from the doom and gloom merchants on here. Edinburgh and Glasgow are as vibrant as ever.

Wages - I do the same job in the UK and earn marginally more. And that was after 5 years of working my way back up in Australia - we'd have been financially much better off to stay in the UK (& we knew that when we left but we didn't move to Oz for the money)

Commute - entirely depends where you live, I worked in London for 13 years and hated the commute from Kent/Essex. I drive 30 mins now, free parking and work from home pretty much whenever I fancy - which has been every day this week so far :) It's not a Oz v UK issue in my mind at all.

Weather - brilliant summer, winter hasn't stopped me doing anything so far - no more than the heat in Perth anyway. I can't imagine the weather near Leeds has been worse than Scotland and it has rarely been freezing or pissing down with rain & there is plenty to do here when it is. On balance the weather is better in Australia I won't argue with that though :) Surely that doesn't come as a shock to anyone returning though?

People - you get what you give, only yesterday I was thinking how much friendlier people are here as everyone spoke as I took a walk along the canal.

Retirement - I am looking forward to retirement here in maybe 12 years - I had over 20 years left on my mortgage in Perth. The lower cost of living means my pension (of virtually the same amount - since most of it is in UK funds) will go much further and with a far more robust welfare safety net I think the probability of a miserable 'waiting to die' retirement is lower for ME in the UK

'Rorting' - yes you will pay to park in urban areas - as you do in Perth/Fremantle and I'm sure in other cities. Most places are free evenings and Sundays. There is an incredible amount of free attractions - I was in London to catch up with friends visiting from Australia for a weekend and everything we did was free. Not knocking the free BBQ's but there are only so many times you can have a free BBQ at the beach you can have before brain rot sets in.

To be honest if anything I'd say please please DON'T go to Australia, I'm beggin those guys in their nice comfortable suburban houses, don't do it. Expensive and pointless giving up UK to live in Australia, I've done it and wish I hadn't.

But I don't because I realise it is just my perspective, just because Australia didn't give ME a better life, doesn't mean it won't give others. Ditto just because it was a mistake for you coming back to the UK doesn't mean it will be for everyone.

Best post so far.

I guess everyone has different experiences where ever they live in UK and where ever they live in Australia, also everyone's wish list will be entirely different for their 'ideal life'. Probably peoples age and whether they do or don't have children to bring up are factors too. It's good to hear people's views and experiences and go into either decision whether to live in Aus or uk with eyes wide open and not think that either side of the world is perfect. In all of this I do strongly believe you should not live with regrets and put it down to an experience that most will never have if it doesn't work out. Everyone has their reasons for giving it a go and for some they will love it and never look back, for some they tried and returned and unbelievably there's some that go, come back and go again! Very brave.

Archived