Captain Zeb

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to Sydney in May. We welcome any tips that can be provided. I will be working in North Sydney. Any ideas for places to live? We are looking for a min 2 bed 2 bath house relatively close to the office (max 30 min commute driving or by public transport). Budget is $1200 p.w. From researching so far we like the look of Mosman, Neutral Bay, lower North Shore. Also, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst on the other side. We are open to any and all suggestions. We are looking to start a family and have a dog. Not sure if rentals are generally pet friendly.

We like the beach, going out to restaurants, walks, parks....those sorts of things. Wouldn't want to be anywhere too quiet as we like going out.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Best

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to Sydney in May. We welcome any tips that can be provided. I will be working in North Sydney. Any ideas for places to live? We are looking for a min 2 bed 2 bath house relatively close to the office (max 30 min commute driving or by public transport). Budget is $1200 p.w. From researching so far we like the look of Mosman, Neutral Bay, lower North Shore. Also, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst on the other side. We are open to any and all suggestions. We are looking to start a family and have a dog. Not sure if rentals are generally pet friendly.

We like the beach, going out to restaurants, walks, parks....those sorts of things. Wouldn't want to be anywhere too quiet as we like going out.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Best

hi captain zeb,

i can't help with your questions however would like to say hi! We are also moving to Sydney in May. Although we haven't got jobs etc yet. But flights booked. Not long now!

Regards

jody

Hi Jody,

You must be very excited, as we are! The start of a great adventure. We must exchange contact details so that we can share in our expat experiences in Sydney. It will be nice to have someone to meet up with when we are there as we do not yet know anyone in Sydney.

Good Luck!

Best,

Robin

Hi Jody,

You must be very excited, as we are! The start of a great adventure. We must exchange contact details so that we can share in our expat experiences in Sydney. It will be nice to have someone to meet up with when we are there as we do not yet know anyone in Sydney.

Good Luck!

Best,

Robin

yea definitely! We also do not know anyone. What job do you do? I am a nurse and my husband Dave is an electrician. We are jumping through many hoops at the moment to try and get perspective employment! Excited. We have decided to just go for it but nervous about jobs. Once we find work hopefully everything else will fall into place. Where do you live in the UK? We are in north Wales.

Pm me if you want to swop details.

regards

jody

Hi CZ

Welcome, and welcome to Sydney (almost)

Your budget is OK for where you are looking - these are all expensive areas, but you're not looking for a big place so should be fine. You may want to consider flats (units), there are a lot more of these in these areas (except Mosman), especially when you're looking for 2 bed places. BUT (and it's a sizeable one), dogs are never easy when it comes to rentals, and they are even harder in flats and in premium places (as your search area and budget suggests). But keep at it. Plenty of people have migrated here with animals, it's not impossible but you'll just have to work a bit harder.

I think you're absolutely right to look to stay central and keep the commute down, and keep the city life up. Don't worry about kids or the potential for the future - rentals are all effectively short term places anyway, you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

There are loads of parks everywhere, so no issues there. Do your research if you (and your dog) are used to off-leash exercise, as these areas are less common. Also note you can't take your dog (even on a lead) in any national park, and this includes the bits of Sydney Harbour National Park like Bradleys Head in Mosman. I'd do a bit of Googling if I were you to have a look at where is good for off-leash dog areas. Don't write off the Inner West (inner city suburbs from Pyrmont westwards), as there are a lot of small houses, pretty good life/buzz, and a lot of dog-friendly parks. Commute OK but not as close as some of those you've named

Good luck :)

Hi! My husband and I are also moving to Sydney in May. We have both been offered jobs on a 457 visa. I have found this website the best for finding out answers to my thousands of questions. Currently I am trying to decide what to do with all our stuff, container? move cube? Storage? so much to think about, hope my poor little brain can keep up with me till May.

I have been looking at places to rent too. I find domain the best website to use. They also have a good app. Likewise we are looking for a 2 bed place that is close to CBD. I think you are correct in looking at places in Mosman and Neutral Bay. Try looking at McMahones Point on the other side of the bridge. One of our Aussie mates also suggested Glebe and Balmain. We are trying to find places that has good night transport links or not too far by taxi, as we may work some night shifts. I think I have seen some places that are pet friendly but you might not find a lot of places that allow pets.

Would be great to make some contacts with people that are in the same situation and share experiences. Also would be great to catch up once in Sydney and make new friends.

Lindsay

Quick tip: don't search for rentals by ticking the "pet friendly" box, or almost none will come up

You can't apply for a rental from abroad anyway, so use the websites to hone in on your shortlist. When you actually get here, go to see as much as you can, and ASK. If you look like good applicants and your dog doesn't look like a Hound of Baskerville, many places willl say yes, albeit with a couple of conditions. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Thanks North Shore Pom and Lindsay. Our dog is a small Shitzu Pomeranian but it is really good advice to check for dog friendly parks etc. We really have no idea what the situation is regarding rentals so it's good to be prepared for some negotiation on that point!

We will extend our search to include some more dog friendly areas. We currently live in Brooklyn, NY in an apartment and so we were really hoping to get a house when we move (with a small yard if possible).

Look forward to the move and meeting all the great people on this site.

Best,

Robin

Hi Robin,

What line of work are you guys in ?

We stayed in Surrey Hills last year (back again in March).

What a great place, and Shitzu friendly .

Next door to the Surrey Hills police station was a full of dogs (lots of Shitzu's in the evening).

Only a small green/park but worth looking around there for accommodation.

Good luck with the move !

I always like doing a search on www.domain.com.au for places to rent (or buy.) There's this new complex at Central Park, just off Broadway, so you won't be homesick for NY! Ten minute walk to Central railway, then four stops to North Sydney (three to Milson's Point, not sure where your office is.) There might be a bus too, must check that, as I've seen buses leave the depot nearby, going to the Northern Beaches, but not sure if they go via North Sydney.

8 Park Lane Chippendale $550-$1050

AddRemove

Property Type:Bedrooms: 2Bathrooms: 2Car Spaces: 1 87667131pio19130531

Other Views

More Photos

• 87667131pite19130531?mod=131220-095113
  • 87667132pite19130532?mod=131220-095113
  • 87667133pite19130534?mod=131220-095113
  • 87667134pite19130536?mod=131220-095113
  • 87667135pite19130537?mod=131220-095113
  • 87667136pite19130538?mod=131220-095113

Your Notes

Can`t save now, please try again laterAdd/Edit

Property Details

BRAND NEW LUXURY APARTMENTS IN CENTRAL PARK

Designed by Australian Architects Johnson Pilton Walker and located in Sydney's exciting new downtown precinct, Park Lane provides sleek living spaces surrounded by vast parklands just moments from the harbour and CBD. A grand foyer provides a 5 star arrival experience for all residents, with a 24/7 Concierge on hand.

Inspect Central Park's diverse offerings at Central Parks only on site agent Greencliff.

Studio + Parking (Gas & Electricity included): $550-$600

1 Bedroom Suite: $550-600

1 Bedroom + 1 Bath: $570-$600

1 Bedroom + 1 Bath + Study: $580-$620

2 Bedroom + 1 Bath + Parking: $830- $900

2 Bedroom + 2 Bath + Parking: $950-$1050

Available January 2014.To register your interest please contact Steve Kostakis from Greencliff Agency on 9281 7041 or register your interest at steve@greencliff.com.au

The apartment features

- Large open plan living areas

- Gourmet kitchen featuring gas cooking, microwave, refrigerator and dishwasher

- Designer bathroom

- Air conditioning throughout

- Balcony / Loggia

- Double glazed windows

- Internal laundry featuring washing machine and dryer

The building features

- Gymnasium – opening in December 2013

- Swimming Pool

- 24 hour security and concierge

- Outdoor Spa

- Pets allowed

All of this within walking distance to transport, Sydney newest shopping centre, cafes and restaurants and local universities

I found a house in Surry Hills, which is basically on the other side of the railway line from those Central Park appartments. I did not paste the map in for the Central Park places, but look for Central and Lee St in the bottom left hand corner, and it's a few hundred metres from there. If you can see Devonshire St, there is a pedestrian tunnel running under Central railway, that comes out at Broadway. Two hundred metres thru the tunnel, turn left and it's another two hundred metres or so to Central Park. The railway entrance is at the Devonshire St end of the tunnel. I am about five minutes walk from Central up Elizabeth St to the Devonshire St entrance.

banner_19184.GIF7 Samuel Surry Hills

AddRemove

Property Summary

PropertyType: Bedrooms: 2 Bathrooms: 1 Carspaces: -

Property Summary

Price: $710 to $735 Bond: $2,900 Property Type: Terrace Suburb: Surry Hills (profile) Region: Sydney Region Land Area: 0 sqm

<a id="ctl00_ctl00_Content_Content_propertySummary_propertyTools_ContactAgentLinkNoScript" class="button" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=8825325&mode=Rent">Email the Agent</a> Email the Agent

Ignore this listing

rotating_blu.gifLogin to ignore properties you don't like. If you're not a Fairfax Media member, sign up for free.

Properties will display with a grey shadow to make it easier to skip past and you won't receive

home alert updates for these properties.

Enter your Domain, or Fairfax Media account login and password

Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again.

rotating_blu.gifCancel

88253251pifs24002401

Other Views

• 88253252pite24002402
  • 88253253pite24002403
  • 88253252pite24001433

Your Notes

Can`t save now, please try again laterAdd/Edit

<a id="ctl00_ctl00_Content_Content_propertyDescription_ContactAgentLinkNoScript" class="button" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=8825325&mode=Rent">Email the Agent</a> Email the Agent

Property Details

2 BEDROOM TERRACE IN A GREAT LOCATION

Recently renovated charming terrace, situated just minutes away from cafés and restaurants and a short walking distance to the CBD. This unique terrace has: - Recently updated separate living and dining, with beautiful lights and lot of character - The lounge/dining with a marble fire place - Polished Floorboards in the living/dining area - 2 good size bedrooms, with new carpets throughout - A little cosy rear courtyard for alfresco lovers Private inspections available, please call Features

• Built in wardrobes
  • Dishwasher
  • Floorboards
  • Pets allowed
  • Separate Dining Room

Matches my preferences (5 stars)

Preferences matched

• Has: pets allowed

Open for inspection times

Display address:Project address:

• Inspections by appointment only

• <a id="ctl00_ctl00_Content_Content_Inspection_BookInspectLinkNoScript" class="dialogEnquiry" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=8825325&mode=Rent"></a> Make an appointment

Area map

Archived