Top 10 Australian Foods

Guest The Pom Queen

Id say thats quintessentially Aussie. Pies and sausage rolls..stolen from poms but the sauce is an aussie thing.

And what's the go with putting peas inside meat pies?.....................Jake had his first English meat and potatoe pie, sitting in the car whilst it was plssing down in Lyham st Annes..................said it was the best thing he'd ever tasted...............could be that it was 'casuse we hadn't eaten in 12 hrs!.....................I'd forgotten how good a well made one was though.

I had a chiko roll once in the vain hope of finding something like the fresh giant spring rolls my local chinese used to do in England. I got gelatinous muck masquerading as some sort of filling encased in some crispy greasy cardboard. Vile stuff! I love a decent spring roll...got some in the oven for my healthy fri night dinner :) The best ones here can be bought from asian food stalls in markets and malls

I had a chiko roll once in the vain hope of finding something like the fresh giant spring rolls my local chinese used to do in England. I got gelatinous muck masquerading as some sort of filling encased in some crispy greasy cardboard. Vile stuff! I love a decent spring roll...got some in the oven for my healthy fri night dinner :) The best ones here can be bought from asian food stalls in markets and malls

You're brave even trying one - just the look and smell of them make me gag!!

Love the fresh seafood and fish and I'll be making pavlova, lamingtons and Anzac biscuits on Sunday (and probably fairy bread for my teenage daughters who want to relive their childhoods!)

Yeah about 50 years ago when I was growing up, thankfully times have changed.

My mother in law still serves this up on some weekends... along with gravox sauce. Nowadays the peas and carrots are boiled straight after from the freezer..

Are they like dim sims? I see them in the supermarket do you have to fry them? I might buy them for the boys.

Yeah, Chikos have to be deep fried but dim sims are nice steamed and covered with with soy sauce but if they're deep fried I just have salt on them. Don't really know what's in Chikos but I suspect it might be cabbage and carrots with some tasty spices. Don't think there is any meat in Chikos or dim sims.

Bob cooked us Barra at the side of the Keep River, I managed a little bit myself and it was delicious. When we visited the other week he cooked some fish and the boys have been trying to copy his recipe (they haven't quite got there yet Bob )

1 heaped dessert spoon of s/r flour

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon of mild moroccan spices

1 teaspoon of ground ginger

½ teaspoon tumeric.

Mix together in a small jar, (marmalade size)

A good fillet of any fish you like (without skin), cut fillet into finger sized pieces

take a clean placcy bag and place the pieces in and sprinkle some spice mix in, shake the bag well to coat all the fish,

shallow fry, when done, dry pieces on kitchen paper and serve as an appetiser.

A goodly knob of butter in a frypan, add 2/3 crushed cloves of garlic, a small pinch of cracked pepper, add 1 fillet per person and fry the pieces gently. Dry them on kitchen paper when done and serve with chippies, or a salad.

One thing I NEVER do...bake, or steam whole fish--reason being that the taste of the bones and skin permeate through to the beautiful clean flesh.:no:

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived