Summer adelaide vs Brisbane...

Kooky

We are trying to decide where a good place to settle will be and I think Adelaide or Brisbane seem to be favourites. Can anyone help with the pros and cons of the weather though? I know in winter it is pretty cold in Adelaide and warmish in Brisbane. Either of the winters seem ok but it is the summer I am unsure about. Does the humid climate in Brisbane mean it is really uncomfortable and unbearable in summer? I know Adelaide I a a dry heat but it can get unbearable for a little while I think - is it only for a little while and how does it compare with Brisbane? Any thoughts would be appreciated! :confused:

Guest Guest16631

.......they do say dry heat is more tolerable than humid heat.........for many.......

........When it gets hot, your body sweats in an attempt to cool down.

........In dry heat, the sweat readily evaporates, taking your body heat with it. .......

..........When it's humid, the sweat doesn't readily evaporate and less heat is removed.

............So, you feel cooler when it's dry and hotter when it's humid. ......

............having lived in both must admit the humidity can be draining......

............but it's for such a short time and you acclimatise........

............winters in brisbane may look mild temperature wise.....

.............but in time you'll find your wearing a jumper as it feels cold.......compared to the summer.....

..............I hope this helps a little.........tink x

............winters in brisbane may look mild temperature wise.....

.............but in time you'll find your wearing a jumper as it feels cold.......compared to the summer.....

I thought Brisbane winter was warmish (like our summers?) and Adelaide was cool (not as cold as here?)

Guest Guest16631

........http://www.auinfo.com/brisbane-climate.html

........this is quite helpful........just select the city your interested in,.....

........brisbane summers can be hot......

........though so can adelaides.............the difference is the humidity....

.........it....feels........different.......

.......oops.....winters...lol.....

........brisbane winters.......especially when you have lived here awhile often ...feel cold.....

..........you just acclimatise to the weather.....

............probably not cold compared to other states.....

.............but cold to those living here.....

..............still have the wood burner going.......

We are trying to decide where a good place to settle will be and I think Adelaide or Brisbane seem to be favourites. Can anyone help with the pros and cons of the weather though? I know in winter it is pretty cold in Adelaide and warmish in Brisbane. Either of the winters seem ok but it is the summer I am unsure about. Does the humid climate in Brisbane mean it is really uncomfortable and unbearable in summer? I know Adelaide I a a dry heat but it can get unbearable for a little while I think - is it only for a little while and how does it compare with Brisbane? :confused:

We've got the Tennis Open going on in Melbourne at the moment and they're playing in 40 degree heat. They have complex rules as to what temperature is safe to play in. If it's humid, the safe temperature is in the low thirties - if it's dry, it's OK over 40 degrees.

How you react varies from person to person, and it also depends what you're doing. If you're going to spend your work day in an air-conditioned office and your evenings/weekends on the beach, the humidity won't worry you. If you're working outdoors, or if you like to be active, you'll hate the humidity. I like to go for long walks and it's just not an option in the worst of Brisbane's heat, whereas I'll walk to the shops in 40 degrees in Adelaide.

Thanks. I thought humidity made a difference but keep worrying hearing 40s and thinking I won't survive the heat in Adelaide! My friend who lives in Adelaide keeps saying it feels warmer in Brisbane even when temps are cooler but wasn't sure if she was just biased (and wanting me to move there rather than Brisbane!).

Thanks. I thought humidity made a difference but keep worrying hearing 40s and thinking I won't survive the heat in Adelaide! My friend who lives in Adelaide keeps saying it feels warmer in Brisbane even when temps are cooler but wasn't sure if she was just biased (and wanting me to move there rather than Brisbane!).

The other thing is - I don't think you should make weather a big factor. Australian summers are hot wherever you go. Winters are mild by British standards in most places. Things like job prospects, affordable housing, culture, activities are far more important.

As a teacher, the first thing to do is check out what the rules are in the various states. When we arrived (which was admittedly a long time ago), teachers in the public system couldn't apply to a specific school. You applied to the state authority, and you went to the school they sent you to. As a new teacher, that would probably be in the country. And you couldn't apply for a transfer until you'd been there for two years!

The good thing was that you could get a guaranteed job with a state before leaving the UK. And if you're up for an adventure, spending a year or two in the bush is as good as any (and far, far cheaper than living in the cities!). My husband moved into the private sector after our first year, so you're not necessarily stuck wherever you're placed.

It doesn't get in to the 40s that often in Adelaide. Last week we had our third worst heatwave on record and had five days in a row of over 40 temperatures, but that is not the norm. Usually you will get a day or two then a cool change moves in and it's back down to being 26ish. Adelaide is not only less humid than Brisbane, it also gets less rain.

I agree with Marisawright though, forget the weather and consider where you can get work.

Definitely don't decide based on weather!

Just out of interest I googled the humidity in all the major cities. Right now highest to lowest

Sydney

Melbourne

Brisbane

Perth

Adelaide

I think your friend is right. I've been in 40 degrees in Perth and found it not too bad and 30 degrees with high humidity in Brisbane and found it uncomfortable. Certainly makes a big difference. I get prickly heat too and the humid climates make it a lot worse for some reason. I can have a whole summer in Perth and not get it, a couple of day s in a humid climate and I'm itching like mad.

Brisbane and Adelaide are both nice though, out the 2 I would go for Bris,

We are in our second summer here in Brisbane and it's not been too bad. Last year I struggled a bit as our house gets so hot and I didn't know how to cope with it very well.

This year I know to leave if it gets too hot - swimming pool, shopping centre, beach etc.

We have a couple air-con units as well for when it gets too hot. They are not overly effective (you have to literally stand under the one in the lounge to get any benefit!) but it helps to know they are there.

Unless you are going to be working outdoors constantly I don't think it is too much of an issue.

Winters are beautiful but very cold in a lot of houses in the mornings. Ours gets down to 9C inside which is far colder than our UK house ever did in the winter. Very poor insulation in our house! Most of the days are glorious though - around 20C and generally dry and sunny.

• 2 weeks later...
We are trying to decide where a good place to settle will be and I think Adelaide or Brisbane seem to be favourites. Can anyone help with the pros and cons of the weather though? I know in winter it is pretty cold in Adelaide and warmish in Brisbane. Either of the winters seem ok but it is the summer I am unsure about. Does the humid climate in Brisbane mean it is really uncomfortable and unbearable in summer? I know Adelaide I a a dry heat but it can get unbearable for a little while I think - is it only for a little while and how does it compare with Brisbane? Any thoughts would be appreciated! :confused:

In some ways it is hard to compare a subtropical summer to a temperate summer because the climates are so different. In a temperate climate people often get the majority of their rain in winter so with lower max temps and wet windy weather they are often looking forward to summer as their good season.

In a subtropical climate you really have 4 daytime summers 1 autumn, 2 winter, 3 spring and 4 summer (though cold at night and early morning in winter) when judged by someone from a temperate climate. "Every" month of the year has an average max temperature of between 20c to 29.9c in Brisbane. So you may love 3 of the Brisbane summers which are mainly dry, mild, non humid, sunny and often fabulous and dislike the last one: stormy, too humid sometimes.

For my tastes the first 3 summers in Brisbane (autumn, winter and spring) are better than an Adelaide summer which is too hot for my tastes, whereas the last summer in Brisbane is worse than an Adelaide summer. I much rather put up with a humid summer number 4 to get months and months and months of dry, sunny weather in the low 20c's perfect for walking, cycling etc while most of the other states are too cold and wet by my standards for far too long, but everyone has different preferences so I can understand it is hard to decide. Not being a total summer lover (though I do like some things) I treat autumn, winter and spring as the payoff for putting up with an Australian summer. Brisbane pays me out in spades while many of the other capitals don't pay so well though if comparing to other countries they may do.

Brisbane has the most dry days than any capital. It has more rain but that is thrown down quicker in storms rather than more persistent rain elsewhere so you get the green lush feel in summer rather than the dry baked oven feel. This makes a big difference to me as well as I love the green lushness of the nature here and how things grow so well and I am not a fan of the dry, baked flyblown look a temperate summer often produces but that is just my preference.

No. 'fraid Adelaide takes that one.

I just based that on the official bureau of meteorology figures I have looked up in the past. For interest, here's one example I dug up from an old post with only some of the cities on it to save having to do it again.

Annual Dry Days Per Year:

288 Brisbane - Annual Rainfall 1149

270 Adelaide - Annual Rainfall 622.1

265 Perth - Annual Rainfall 867.6

260 Sydney - Annual Rainfall 1084.4

255 Melbourne - Annual Rainfall 648.5

Summer DryDays Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

30 Perth (17.9-29.7) <---- Very dry summer

28 Adelaide (16.7-28.6) <---- Very dry summer

26 Melbourne (14.3-25.9) <---- Medium dry summer

23 Brisbane (20.7-29.4) <---- Humid with afternoon storms

23 Sydney (18.7-25.9) <---- Humid with afternoon storms

Winter DryDays Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

27 Brisbane (9.5-20.4) <---- Very dry, very warm winter

25 Sydney (8.0-16.3) <---- Very dry, warmish winter

21 Melbourne (6.0-13.4) <---- Wet, very cold winter

19 Adelaide (7.7-14.8) <---- Wet, cold winter

16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter

Note: Based on 100 yr stats for mean number of days with rain >= 1mm. From http://www.bom.gov.au/ at city centre reading stations (where available)

Note: Comments on right of temps mine so just very rough descriptions based on the numbers.

I just based that on the official bureau of meteorology figures I have looked up in the past. For interest, here's one example I dug up from an old post with only some of the cities on it to save having to do it again.

Annual Dry Days Per Year:

288 Brisbane - Annual Rainfall 1149

270 Adelaide - Annual Rainfall 622.1

265 Perth - Annual Rainfall 867.6

260 Sydney - Annual Rainfall 1084.4

255 Melbourne - Annual Rainfall 648.5

Summer DryDays Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

30 Perth (17.9-29.7) <---- Very dry summer

28 Adelaide (16.7-28.6) <---- Very dry summer

26 Melbourne (14.3-25.9) <---- Medium dry summer

23 Brisbane (20.7-29.4) <---- Humid with afternoon storms

23 Sydney (18.7-25.9) <---- Humid with afternoon storms

Winter DryDays Per Month (Min/Max Temps Celsius)

27 Brisbane (9.5-20.4) <---- Very dry, very warm winter

25 Sydney (8.0-16.3) <---- Very dry, warmish winter

21 Melbourne (6.0-13.4) <---- Wet, very cold winter

19 Adelaide (7.7-14.8) <---- Wet, cold winter

16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter

Note: Based on 100 yr stats for mean number of days with rain >= 1mm. From http://www.bom.gov.au/ at city centre reading stations (where available)

Note: Comments on right of temps mine so just very rough descriptions based on the numbers.

Thanks fish. Much more comprehensive than the site I looked at. Can't believe 16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter. In all the time I've lived here (22 years) I can't think of one winter where I'd describe as very wet. We get a few storms but I would have though way more dry days than 16 a month in winter. Might be only remembering the good days though.:cool:

In some ways it is hard to compare a subtropical summer to a temperate summer because the climates are so different. In a temperate climate people often get the majority of their rain in winter so with lower max temps and wet windy weather they are often looking forward to summer as their good season.

In a subtropical climate you really have 4 daytime summers 1 autumn, 2 winter, 3 spring and 4 summer (though cold at night and early morning in winter) when judged by someone from a temperate climate. "Every" month of the year has an average max temperature of between 20c to 29.9c in Brisbane. So you may love 3 of the Brisbane summers which are mainly dry, mild, non humid, sunny and often fabulous and dislike the last one: stormy, too humid sometimes.

For my tastes the first 3 summers in Brisbane (autumn, winter and spring) are better than an Adelaide summer which is too hot for my tastes, whereas the last summer in Brisbane is worse than an Adelaide summer. I much rather put up with a humid summer number 4 to get months and months and months of dry, sunny weather in the low 20c's perfect for walking, cycling etc while most of the other states are too cold and wet by my standards for far too long, but everyone has different preferences so I can understand it is hard to decide. Not being a total summer lover (though I do like some things) I treat autumn, winter and spring as the payoff for putting up with an Australian summer. Brisbane pays me out in spades while many of the other capitals don't pay so well though if comparing to other countries they may do.

Brisbane has the most dry days than any capital. It has more rain but that is thrown down quicker in storms rather than more persistent rain elsewhere so you get the green lush feel in summer rather than the dry baked oven feel. This makes a big difference to me as well as I love the green lushness of the nature here and how things grow so well and I am not a fan of the dry, baked flyblown look a temperate summer often produces but that is just my preference.

Good post. Saying that I have found myself enjoying being out and about plenty this summer as the rain doesn't usually fall in the day I find myself going to the beach plenty where the water is so pleasant I found the water in Sydney in December a bit chilly in comparison

Archived