Visa label needed to get my child's Aussie passport, why???

khm1981

OK, big deep breath........ count to 10!!!

My PR visa is electronic, all I've got is a notice of grant letter. However, In order to get my Aussie baby her first passport, the passport office want to see proof of my residency. They do not accept the grant letter, they want me to get a label in my passport or a certificate of residency. The label costs $70 and the certificate $100.

According to the immigration website, all government agencies should verify my visa using the VIVO system. However, the passport office will not do this.

Has anyone else had this same problem. Do I need to bite the bullet and pay the $70 (plus $9 postage), or is there a way round this????

I can not believe that government departments don't communicate with each other!!!!!!!

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! I am so frustrated!!!!!

If it hadn't been this it would have been something else. The truth is, people need visa labels and when they do need them, they don't want to wait a week or two to get them. Wise visa holders will just pay the extra fee and get the label. Maybe one day the world will accept web based visa registers but we're not there yet.

Just easier to get the sticker when you get the Grant, it's done then. We've needed it for other things too, school & rentals

Unfortunately, you aren't given the option when your visa is issued anymore (been here since March 13). In fact, it clearly states that you do not need them and should not apply for one! It's crazy!!

In fact, it clearly states that you do not need them and should not apply for one! It's crazy!!

DIBP wants to do away with visa labels. In future world, the visa will be the entry on a data system rather than a physical thing. It's sensible and states are starting to do this for other things such as vehicle licensing. But in order to make it work, you have to remove the facility to get a physical visa and then everyone has to adapt to only having it on a database - visa holders, employers, government agencies and all. It absolutely makes sense.

BUT - it is a hassle for those who are in the system during transition. That's why, with my systems design hat on I would encourage DIBP to be even more hung ho about stopping the visa stickers, whilst with my individual liberty hat on I would advocate visa holders making their own lives easier by getting the stickers as ing as it remains possible.

Well no other government agency needs to see a visa label. Medicare, Centrelink, ATO etc all them check electronically. However, according to The Post Office, this is a new requirement by the Passport Office (that they've introduced in the last few months). This seems like a backwards step and one that baffles me. Surely, if Australia want to be an electronic visa country then passports should jump on board???

Slightly off-topic, but my PMV was granted just before I was due to come to Aus on a tourist visa, so I had no chance to go to the embassy where it was granted and get a label. Is it possible to get one in Aus now? Would I go to my nearest DIBP office, if so? Thanks!

Yes, just take your passport into the nearest DIBP office and be prepared to pay the fee. You may need additional ID - you often do in Australia. :dull:

• 1 month later...
OK, big deep breath........ count to 10!!!

My PR visa is electronic, all I've got is a notice of grant letter. However, In order to get my Aussie baby her first passport, the passport office want to see proof of my residency. They do not accept the grant letter, they want me to get a label in my passport or a certificate of residency. The label costs $70 and the certificate $100.

According to the immigration website, all government agencies should verify my visa using the VIVO system. However, the passport office will not do this.

Has anyone else had this same problem. Do I need to bite the bullet and pay the $70 (plus $9 postage), or is there a way round this????

I can not believe that government departments don't communicate with each other!!!!!!!

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! I am so frustrated!!!!!

oh my god this is exactly my problem, the visa grant letter even says on it a stamp is not needed! I attempted to lodge the passport app yesterday but she refused to after she rang the passport office! I thought I had just been given the wrong information (as centreline took my letter as proof and are paying dads and maternity leave!) so HB went to a different post office today and lodged it! They we're resistant to take the letter but eventually did but I just wondered if it'll get rejected? It seems ridiculous that the government will pay me money on the basis of my letter but not a passport! The most frustrating thing is I just want to take my daughter out the country I'm not that arsed about bringing her back!!!

anyway just wondered if you had any luck? And I have searched the immigration website it tells you everything about visa labels but not how to get one!!! Any clue in how I get my passport stamped and if I've wasted $122 on a passport app that is likely to be rejected??

Archived