Is swimming pool expensive to maintain? Kindly advise. Ta

cumbria

Hi everyone,

We are planning to rent for first few years

Even if we don't want it some of the houses come with swimming pool

Is swimming pool expensive to maintain?

Please advise

Thank you for your continued support without which our Oz dream might be difficult to think about.

Thank you

Mike

Hi everyone,

We are planning to rent for first few years

Even if we don't want it some of the houses come with swimming pool

Is swimming pool expensive to maintain?

Please advise

Thank you for your continued support without which our Oz dream might be difficult to think about.

Thank you

Mike

Yes if you get somebody else to do it. learn about 'water balance', filter socks, self cleaners, etc. The big secret is NEVER let the pool go off over winter, to much expense and effort getting it back in shape, not to mention the long term damage.

Our pool is fairly high maintenance because of where we live (very high rainfall in winter dilutes the chemicals, surrounded by gum trees that drop leaves year round etc) but because I do everything myself I don't think chemicals & salt cost me more than $300-400 per year. I take a water sample to the local pool shop, they test it and sell you the required chemicals.

Power and solar pumps are the highest costs. Where are you looking to live because that will be a major factor IMO?

If you are renting perhaps it will be included in the costs? I don't know if all landlords would leave it their tenants. Or perhaps they do. Just I've see gardeners and stuff included.

We're renting with a pool, and yes, we think it is expensive to maintain, it's not included in our rent. We've never had a pool and thought the idea was great, but oh boy was it a big learning curve... challenges we encountered / things to think about...

When we moved in the filter had not been on for a few months, the water was slightly green, but our landlord said it would be ok to resolve and gave us some pointers... before we started cleaning / maintaining it, it had got to the stage where it was GREEN - it looked more like a big pond, even the birds were taking a dip!

You need to find out what the filtration system is like, if you need to buy lots of salt and / or chlorine tablets (and other chemicals), does it have a timer?Find a good local pool maintenance shop who can help you with any issues that may arise and check the chlorine, alkalinity, pH levels etc., consider the electricity costs of running the filter (we run ours 6 hours per day - some hotter places need longer to keep it chlorinated) and water costs (you need to maintain the water levels and when it gets hot the water evaporates quite quickly - as does the chlorine). Will the landlord be supplying vacuums and other cleaning tools for you to use to clean it out (we have to vacuum ours once per week), if not you'll need that too.

Once you have it up and running and it 30 - 40 c outside, you'll love it! In those terms it's well worth it!

Learn how to maintain it yourself and cost isnt that high. I did an on line school and only use the pool shop to check everything once a year to make sure im on track.

Cal x

How do you test for TA, Calcium, Stabiliser, TDS, Optimiser?

Don't get someone to do it for you, they'll find something wrong with it every time and you'll end up paying through the nose.

Since I learned to do it myself, I've never had any issues. Of course, if the pump goes chips, I couldn't fix that but regular up-keep is easy.

The chemicals and stuff aren't really expensive but bear in mind the pump is on 8 hrs a day in summer and it will need topping up every few days when the sun is out. Lots of water.

Archived