Redbacks Everywhere ......

tonyman

There are a lot around but I never see them unless I go poking around in dark places. They do like to get underneath the furnture in the house as well. My friend has her house sprayed by pest people every year to keep the spiders at bay but I do not spray I just live alongside them, they eat the flies and bugs and if the spray kills them it might kill us too.

I work in a plant nursery and it's rare I see a spider. Red backs tend to stay in one spot. Often under chairs, tables etc. You tend to find them more by accident. I've killed one in the last few months.

I think you see less spiders here as all the doors and windows have screens. Not only is it harder for the spider to get in, but flies too, so you have less food for them inside. :-)

sorry don't get me wrong they are not inside but they are everywhere outside ,when it gets dark I go and spray direct , I`ve had pest control few times but they did a bad job last two times ....also as we have 5 children there are bikes , scooters the lot everywhere and if they don't get moved for a day or two the red backs squat .........not sure if the chickens will have them in the day ? very Large garden so they use to stay on the beds or the grass which they made a mess of in the winter and not on the patio areas.......slowly but surely I will get rid of the majority ..........

In over 10 years I've never seen one red back - I once got bit by something when we first moved here and it made my elbow sore and felt bruised for weeks and left a lump underneath, gone now but whatever it was bloody hurt at the time.

We now live on an island where snakes and spiders prolly roam about more so need to look out <eek>

Archived