Benefits Street

paulv

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone see this on C4 earlier in the week?

I caught the repeat last night and it was nothing out of the ordinary for anyone who has lived in a working class area - some gems and some err, rough diamonds:twitcy:

I refuse to watch it.

I have no idea why we are so hellbent on getting our faces on TV that we participate in something that is intended to show us in a bad light.

I don't believe for a moment that this programme has gone to air to show struggling Britain. If that were the case they could come up with any amount of evidence to support that. Instead they have concentrated on one street.

This is like the Australian TV series "Houso's". A programme designed to show all public housing tenants in the worst possible light.

How many streets do you need for one show? They're all over the place. I've been in plenty like that . Northampton , Bletchley , Milton Keynes , Bedford , nice little villages with council social housing tucked away behind . A lot of people don't realise they exist.

I refuse to watch it.

I have no idea why we are so hellbent on getting our faces on TV that we participate in something that is intended to show us in a bad light.

I don't believe for a moment that this programme has gone to air to show struggling Britain. If that were the case they could come up with any amount of evidence to support that. Instead they have concentrated on one street.

This is like the Australian TV series "Houso's". A programme designed to show all public housing tenants in the worst possible light.

Yes I saw a little bit of it and I agree with you . Total negativity portrayed .

do you think they could of drawn many or any positives from the show. ?

I thought it was quite sympathetic - those people despite their own difficulties were loyal, considerate, and helped each other out. I especially liked 'White Dee' who was a brilliant influence on the group and a real antidote to the usual negative portrayals of working class life. She was advisor, banker, moral keeper, substance misuse worker - a real Jill of all trades...

I thought it was quite sympathetic - those people despite their own difficulties were loyal, considerate, and helped each other out. I especially liked 'White Dee' who was a brilliant influence on the group and a real antidote to the usual negative portrayals of working class life. She was advisor, banker, moral keeper, substance misuse worker - a real Jill of all trades...

Working class life ? Sorry mate , I was mixed up with some thing else on TV .

I did not see much evidence of "working class life" on the show.

I refuse to watch it.

It's nothing like Houso's. That is a comedy and a complete micky take of the bogan. Benefits Street are sadly real people!

Yes I saw a little bit of it and I agree with you . Total negativity portrayed .

I do usually avoid these kinds of deliberate gawking programmes at all costs - Gypsy this that and the other etc, but I thought this was not a totally negative portrayal and I'm glad I watched it. Do try and suspend your fears and watch it on catch up - there's a former offender making an honest living despite the difficulties and temptations around him too, so it's not all scapegoating.

I love Owen Jones and he is right in that TV documentaries of late are more about gawking at the feckless/tasteless/(insert your judgmental term here) rather than asking the questions as to how people have come to this situation, but I did not feel this program was too bad.

I love Owen Jones and he is right in that TV documentaries of late are more about gawking at the feckless/tasteless/(insert your judgmental term here) rather than asking the questions as to how people have come to this situation, but I did not feel this program was too bad.

After reading that piece I decided not to watch because I thought I'd spend the entire programme shouting at the tv, but I trust your judgement, so will watch on catch up. :smile:

Seems it's not been bad for everyone, if this piece is true. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-50p-man-smoggy-3001481

After reading that piece I decided not to watch because I thought I'd spend the entire programme shouting at the tv, but I trust your judgement, so will watch on catch up. :smile:

Seems it's not been bad for everyone, if this piece is true. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-50p-man-smoggy-3001481

That piece has just brought a tear to my eye - he was a real lovely bloke: tried to sell his wares and the family was skint and had little kids so he gave them a few bits and sweets for the kids. Good things happen to good people and all that...

The thing to remember is not everyone who are on benefits are like these people. Yes there are some who behave appallingly and bring the reputation of people who are on benefits down but there are also those who have found themselves there and don't want to be.

Most of the people portrayed on this programme had no respect for themselves or others and certainly weren't striving for something more in life.

I watched all of it and thought it was disgusting the way most of them behaved. The 50p man was really kind and clearly was trying to make the best out of what he had. I commend anyone who is trying to better themselves but some of the people on that show were ridiculous. X

He's right:

"Conveniently, too, TV shows are shifting our glare away from the real villains of modern Britain. Where are the shows about the wealthy tax-dodgers who deprive the Exchequer of £25bn each year, even as millions have to both pay their taxes and be pounded by austerity? What about the bankers who plunged the world into economic catastrophe and continue to thrive as others suffer the consequences?"

But look at the letters and it's clear that as a society we are gutless little bullies. We ignore the powerful adroit and consumingly greedy, and concentrate on giving a good kicking to those at the lowest end of society. Because we ARE cowards.

The wealthy take far more from you (you=general), but you defend and admire them.

do you think they could of drawn many or any positives from the show. ?

I suspect you would. Surely a positive is the endorsement of long held views about 'these people'.

It's nothing like Houso's. That is a comedy and a complete micky take of the bogan. Benefits Street are sadly real people!

BS! Comedy/acting or not-that show is designed to stereotype. (God! I love that! The 'it's just a joke' defence!). BOTH are designed to show up those who are always easy targets.

I do usually avoid these kinds of deliberate gawking programmes at all costs - Gypsy this that and the other etc, but I thought this was not a totally negative portrayal and I'm glad I watched it. Do try and suspend your fears and watch it on catch up - there's a former offender making an honest living despite the difficulties and temptations around him too, so it's not all scapegoating.

No. I won't try to 'suspend my fears'. I don't have them. I hold this type of garbage in utter contempt. Don't mistake that for holding the people depicted in contempt.

I may well not like some of them, but loathe this kind of peeping Tom intrusion into their lives. (Of course

they may have done it for payment. Big surprise).

I do. Owen is correct in his view of those vacuous bastards who exploit others in the hope they can win a fecking BAFTA.

That piece has just brought a tear to my eye - he was a real lovely bloke: tried to sell his wares and the family was skint and had little kids so he gave them a few bits and sweets for the kids. Good things happen to good people and all that...

I would like to see how this plays out with a job for him. You could even validly argue it wouldn't have happened if this 'documentary' hadn't gone to air.

When they make one about "Greed Street" and show the sterile slime who have become wealthy on the backs of the poor-I might then watch this programme. With a sick bag handy for watching the first.

How the wealthy must laugh at the capacity of those of the lower strata keeping each other in line, whilst they enjoy their feckless lives.

Sounds like a pillar of the community

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2536208/Truth-White-Dee-Channel-4s-Benefits-Street-stole-cash-poor-fund-lovers-crack-habit.html

I thought the guy who's name I think they called 'Fungi' could make a brilliant salesman in his next life! Anybody that has got the nerve to go into a hotel, take their literature and sell it to members of the public by passing it off as copies of 'The Big Issue' or not quite as he told them, showed pure genius!!!

He made £12.00 in about five minutes!!.....definitely a positive in my eyes, somebody should grab him, clean him up and utilize his potential!

My hubby is a full on Owen Jones 'follower' shall we say too...I havnt watched the programme and don't want to particularly but may pluck up the courage...I hate anything that ridicules people...it makes me cringe.

My hubby is a full on Owen Jones 'follower' shall we say too...I havnt watched the programme and don't want to particularly but may pluck up the courage...I hate anything that ridicules people...it makes me cringe.

'Chavs' is one of my favorite books of the last few years. I didnt feel it was a set up, but the producers were obviously not short of willing volunteers...

These links are so irresistible aren't they?

We are ALWAYS talking about those on the lower end of society aren't we Simmo? So up come the links.

If we were to discuss the utter corporate greed that abounds-and then put up links-that would engender the 'Lefty nonsense' thing wouldn't it?

As I said: it is cowardly. If 'above' someone one can get a damn good kick in- to the head. But if below someone, all so many do is look up to them, literally and metaphorically.

They are to be admired, don't you know.

These links are so irresistible aren't they?

We are ALWAYS talking about those on the lower end of society aren't we Simmo? So up come the links.

If we were to discuss the utter corporate greed that abounds-and then put up links-that would engender the 'Lefty nonsense' thing wouldn't it?

As I said: it is cowardly. If 'above' someone one can get a damn good kick in- to the head. But if below someone, all so many do is look up to them, literally and metaphorically.

They are to be admired, don't you know.

Then you need to do what you have to do..

Archived