An Arrogant Australia

jen85

Getting back to the point of the original post (I think) - Australia is perhaps consciously, or sub-consciously, trying to model itself much more on the Americans these days. It used to be very British-influenced (even down to using the Pound as its currency) but seems to be rebelling against that a lot more nowadays. Perhaps it's lucky that America and Australia don't really compete in the same sports? My daughter filled out a job application recently for a position in America and was told "some of your comments are quite modest, get rid of them, the Americans don't understand modesty" so in my view, that's the way the Australian media are trying to take this country too. I was sat on a ferry in Sydney the other day and accidentally overheard the conversation behind me, where one guy was saying to another "oh, my brother lives in London, it's always freezing cold there and so dark" - I felt like turning round and asking him if he had ever been in London on a fine spring day, when the trees are in blossom, and the sky is blue: it does happen, it's not winter all year round in Britain! I didn't though...:embarrassed: my good old British reserve kicked in!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting back to the point of the original post (I think) - Australia is perhaps consciously, or sub-consciously, trying to model itself much more on the Americans these days. It used to be very British-influenced (even down to using the Pound as its currency) but seems to be rebelling against that a lot more nowadays. Perhaps it's lucky that America and Australia don't really compete in the same sports? My daughter filled out a job application recently for a position in America and was told "some of your comments are quite modest, get rid of them, the Americans don't understand modesty" so in my view, that's the way the Australian media are trying to take this country too. I was sat on a ferry in Sydney the other day and accidentally overheard the conversation behind me, where one guy was saying to another "oh, my brother lives in London, it's always freezing cold there and so dark" - I felt like turning round and asking him if he had ever been in London on a fine spring day, when the trees are in blossom, and the sky is blue: it does happen, it's not winter all year round in Britain! I didn't though...:embarrassed: my good old British reserve kicked in!!

Agree Aus is basing itself on America. All that American self flagellation and rah-rahing is naff IMHO - besides the USA hasn't had much of a track record in terms of setting a great example in looking after it's people and the world general.

Hopefully Aus will start to pull back from the USA influence and get it's Aussie mo-jo back.

The difference being with Australia Day it is a celebration of all things Aussie and outside symbols would not be welcome. OZ Day here in Perth at least has seen some violent incidences in the past, though not for several years that I'm aware.The Proms on the other hand embraces visitors or at least accepts the display of other nations flags. All in the sense of a rollicking good time.

I disagree. Australia uses it's own flag which is a representation of a joint nation made up of many people and many cultures - so in effect recognises everyone from every nation who has been a part of the making of Australia.

I disagree. Australia uses it's own flag which is a representation of a joint nation made up of many people and many cultures - so in effect recognises everyone from every nation who has been a part of the making of Australia.

Do you write the official script or something akin? The culture rather remains Anglo themed. The multi cultural aspect as gone back somewhat since the Howard days. How does the OZ flag with A Union Flag in the canton in any shape or form represent a new multi cultural nation that Australia is in the process of becoming?

Agree Aus is basing itself on America. All that American self flagellation and rah-rahing is naff IMHO - besides the USA hasn't had much of a track record in terms of setting a great example in looking after it's people and the world general.

Hopefully Aus will start to pull back from the USA influence and get it's Aussie mo-jo back.

Australia has been basing itself on America and continues to do so to a certain extent without perhaps the vigour of the past decades. Australia in my view is a little lost with the concept of being a part of Asia and exactly to which direction this is taking us.

Will there be clarity or will we drift into something rather unknown with no going back? The jury is out buy is unlikely to be on the side of doing nothing.

Australia has been basing itself on America and continues to do so to a certain extent without perhaps the vigour of the past decades. Australia in my view is a little lost with the concept of being a part of Asia and exactly to which direction this is taking us.

Will there be clarity or will we drift into something rather unknown with no going back? The jury is out buy is unlikely to be on the side of doing nothing.

Your right, it's just your view

Do you write the official script or something akin? The culture rather remains Anglo themed. The multi cultural aspect as gone back somewhat since the Howard days. How does the OZ flag with A Union Flag in the canton in any shape or form represent a new multi cultural nation that Australia is in the process of becoming?

The flag represents Australia and Australia day represents the people of Australia. The flag is anglo themed as it's an Anglo based country that embraces all cultures which contribute positively to this Anglo based culture. The British flag is flown in Britain but that doesn't mean it doesn't embrace other cultures either.

Simples ....:biglaugh:

Quote from this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Day

In contemporary Australia, celebrations reflect the diverse society and landscape of the nation, and are marked by community and family events, reflections on Australian history, official community awards, and citizenship ceremonies welcoming new immigrants into the Australian community

The flag represents Australia and Australia day represents the people of Australia. The flag is anglo themed as it's an Anglo based country that embraces all cultures which contribute positively to this Anglo based culture. The British flag is flown in Britain but that doesn't mean it doesn't embrace other cultures either.

In contemporary Australia, celebrations reflect the diverse society and landscape of the nation, and are marked by community and family events, reflections on Australian history, official community awards, and citizenship ceremonies welcoming new immigrants into the Australian community

I'd say the American or Canadian flags are all inclusive. The Australian and New Zealand reflect to an extent where we have been. A celebration hardly reflects the diversity. These days it is held in the grounds of Government House in Perth and ticket required. It's free but usually taken up by ethnic groups and those in the industry. No cultural events are recognised by an official public holiday in Australia for all the talk of multi culturalism.

I'd say the American or Canadian flags are all inclusive. The Australian and New Zealand reflect to an extent where we have been. A celebration hardly reflects the diversity. These days it is held in the grounds of Government House in Perth and ticket required. It's free but usually taken up by ethnic groups and those in the industry. No cultural events are recognised by an official public holiday in Australia for all the talk of multi culturalism.

What cultural events would you like to see marked as a public holiday that are marked by same in other countries?

Your right, it's just your view

You know what Coventry? You can be very profound.

-No. It does not represent ALL the people of Australia.

-That's the rub. Be like us. That has little to do with diversity and multiculturalism. The FIFO thing is dimwitted and absurd in that it based on the 'be like us' scenario, when other cultures have been resident in Australia almost from inception (well if they were the right colour of course!).

WHY is it so impossible to accept that the 'embrace of all cultures' is NOT 'Anglo based'! This is at the core of many of Australia's problems. I find it bizarre that one particular group is so hellbent in insisting that people from Europe/Asia who have been in Australia for generations should be like them, as if these different cultures were not Australian and had lesser right to be there!

-......but there is another flag in Australia isn't there? I recall vividly the flack a world class indigenous athlete received when she proudly draped her cultural flag around her shoulders!

You cannot have it both ways:

If cultural diversity IS embraced, then accept ancestral flags!

If you do not accept them, then you do NOT accept cultural diversity.

And btw the Welsh/Scots/Irish all have their flags too. Try telling them to put them away and fly only the UJ.

Gawd Awmitey!

(The wiki entry is as good as the opinion of its author. But it is so lovely..)

During the Australia's Day celebrations up in Perth there were plenty of aboriginal flags about and there was a special section with Aboriginal art, music etc.

I grew up in Bristol UK where the whole City gained its wealth from the Slave Trade. There was s only so much apologizing for the past that a City or Country can do. What it does moving forward is what counts.

During the Australia's Day celebrations up in Perth there were plenty of aboriginal flags about and there was a special section with Aboriginal art, music etc.

I grew up in Bristol UK where the whole City gained its wealth from the Slave Trade. There was s only so much apologizing for the past that a City or Country can do. What it does moving forward is what counts.

Apologizing? That has been officially done. It isn't apologizing; it's acknowledgement. I didn't say anything about apologizing.

IMHO, the flag is a bit of an anachronism these days, particularly the UK flag in the corner - it is backward looking and hardly represents what Aus has become, or the journey it has made in the last 50 years. And Aus needs to get past the whole 'should we be British or American?' thing, and just be itself. It has no reason or need to sit in anyone's shadow, or feel inferior or chippy about anyone - and it has its own future in Asia to pursue.

IMHO, the flag is a bit of an anachronism these days, particularly the UK flag in the corner - it is backward looking and hardly represents what Aus has become, or the journey it has made in the last 50 years. And Aus needs to get past the whole 'should we be British or American?' thing, and just be itself. It has no reason or need to sit in anyone's shadow, or feel inferior or chippy about anyone - and it has its own future in Asia to pursue.

Perhaps if you ask the kin of those who died for that flag, your attitude might be different. Far too much blood has been spilled for it to be changed...IMHO.

Cheers, Bobj.

You know what Coventry? You can be very profound.

-No. It does not represent ALL the people of Australia.

-That's the rub. Be like us. That has little to do with diversity and multiculturalism. The FIFO thing is dimwitted and absurd in that it based on the 'be like us' scenario, when other cultures have been resident in Australia almost from inception (well if they were the right colour of course!).

WHY is it so impossible to accept that the 'embrace of all cultures' is NOT 'Anglo based'! This is at the core of many of Australia's problems. I find it bizarre that one particular group is so hellbent in insisting that people from Europe/Asia who have been in Australia for generations should be like them, as if these different cultures were not Australian and had lesser right to be there!

-......but there is another flag in Australia isn't there? I recall vividly the flack a world class indigenous athlete received when she proudly draped her cultural flag around her shoulders!

You cannot have it both ways:

If cultural diversity IS embraced, then accept ancestral flags!

If you do not accept them, then you do NOT accept cultural diversity.

And btw the Welsh/Scots/Irish all have their flags too. Try telling them to put them away and fly only the UJ.

Gawd Awmitey!

(The wiki entry is as good as the opinion of its author. But it is so lovely..)

I'm often amazed certain commenters give so much credence to wiki entries and their authors. As you say it largely depends on the slant they take of their view of the world. All too few folk seem apt to question but accept such detail as fact.

With regards the flag. It has been a long debated subject and will no doubt be a long time before changing in conservative Australia but I am convinced change will eventually come.

It is too similar to the NZ one but mainly the British component will wane over the coming decades the massive change in compression of the population begins to impact in varying degrees not considered fully yet.

Perth has the same on a far limited scale of course but growing in strength yearly. What I referred though was an official holiday as is celebrated throughout many South East Asian nations with large Chinese populations.

Bugga!! Can't remember if there was a 'Chinatown' when I lived in Perth. But I do know that there were lots of diggers on the goldfields who resented the Chinese 'spiriting' gold out of the country thus not having to pay duties.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bugga!! Can't remember if there was a 'Chinatown' when I lived in Perth. But I do know that there were lots of diggers on the goldfields who resented the Chinese 'spiriting' gold out of the country thus not having to pay duties.

Cheers, Bobj.

No doubt it. What was referred to as China Town was constructed in about 82. A lane way between Roe Street and James Street, ( if you recall those streets) Not a roaring success. Although A Chinese gate does mark the entry from Roe Street. Rest pretty dead these days apart from the Shanghai Food Market on the James Street entry.

What has taken off as the China Town location is William Street. Perhaps more an Italian area in your time? Even here they had a problem in naming. Some wanted Asia Town, as Chinese are only one component of a street first colonized by the Vietnamese in I guess the early 80s. Today a number of their businesses have been replaced by Chinese, but the Perth Mosque is there as well as Indian, Thai, Korean,Malaysian and of course the considerable number of remaining Vietnamese.

My feeling is the entire Northbridge area will continue to become more Asian in business and likely to become one large Asia Town if not exactly a China Town, but Chinese will be the dominant feature.

No doubt it. What was referred to as China Town was constructed in about 82. A lane way between Roe Street and James Street, ( if you recall those streets) Not a roaring success. Although A Chinese gate does mark the entry from Roe Street. Rest pretty dead these days apart from the Shanghai Food Market on the James Street entry.

What has taken off as the China Town location is William Street. Perhaps more an Italian area in your time? Even here they had a problem in naming. Some wanted Asia Town, as Chinese are only one component of a street first colonized by the Vietnamese in I guess the early 80s. Today a number of their businesses have been replaced by Chinese, but the Perth Mosque is there as well as Indian, Thai, Korean,Malaysian and of course the considerable number of remaining Vietnamese.

My feeling is the entire Northbridge area will continue to become more Asian in business and likely to become one large Asia Town if not exactly a China Town, but Chinese will be the dominant feature.

Very interesting, thanks.thumbs.gif Vaguely remember Roe St. The Italian area used to be Subie and a smidgen of West Leederville, where I lived.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yep. I hate it too. It's what scares me about moving back to Australia after all this time. Nowhere is perfect, but there is definitely a 'this is the best country in the world' thing happening. Even my dad goes on about Australia being 'the best country in the world' to which me and my siblings roll our eyes. How would he know? He's never been anywhere else. There's a lot like him too. Being an island continent bordered by the Indian, Pacific and Southern Oceans may bring you good weather, but the isolation also brings a degree of ignorance about the rest of the world.

As for Patriotism, it certainly was nowhere near as prevalent or strong when I left in the late 90s. There seems to have been a resurgence over the last 10 years or so and especially since 9/11 and the Bali bombings.

This is very true - I think the Aussie jingoism has accelerated in recent years (spotting 'Kochie' saying 'let's see what the weather is like in this great country of ours' is perceptive - in no other country would anyone say that, to reinforce the viewers emotional wellbeing and reassure them in case they were having doubts!) - maybe as a result of an evolving approach to the Indigenous history which many Aussies feel uncomfortable about. When a country is built on genocide it will leave a sense of uneasiness which its population needs to address somehow.

Archived