Brisbane is the coolest city ever

simmo

I'm sure being in Brisbane on several previous occasions he was fully aware of what was on offer in that city. Not sure why it may appear odd to some that others may find Brisbane wanting. It's not even uncommon to hear it from local born and bred.

He said that as banter to the paper which had got stuck into him. He said nobody has heard of Brisbane, and said he would "Rather watch paint dry" than see the local sites.

So KP who has seen zero of Brisbane knows more about it than people who write for travel as a job. Also I've never lived anywhere where nobody complains about their local town.

You haven't even been here so i'm not sure how you can even comment? I've been to Perth and enjoyed it(because I was by the beach) but the 2 aren't even comparable. There's so much more to do in Brisbane.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you really need to ask? An interesting city is firstly a city where folk want to go. Let's be clear we in this case are talking city and not the massive suburban sprawls that is sometimes loosely referred to Perth/ Brisbane etc. That would rule out either these places with few folk venturing into either on a regular basis.

A city has urbanity. It is or should be grit and intensity. More a place of sensory surroundings. A place that defines the identity and provides variety.

It requires a energy. A liveliness and be invigorating. It should be walkable (an increasingly recognised concept in how American cities should aim for. Note Walkable City,a new book out ,but don't recall author)

A place of random meetings, something don't find in Aussie cities really but very much so in European. A city such have a certain density and contain everything of need.

Above all it must have an interesting streetscape. A landscape not ruled by the auto centric sprawl and be a place of fusion in diversity between culture, lifestyles and freedom to be oneself.

OZ city centres being small can hardly offer the urban diversity available in other places but signs of some awakening are evident.

An interesting city is firstly a city where folk want to go.

In my time living in Perth and visiting Brisbane I've seen plenty of visitors from all over at all times of the year. I've often thought how great it is to live somewhere that people actually want to come on holiday to, not save up waiting for the next escape.

Brisbane and Perth, due to something you seem to find as a negative, the City centres being small, are both very "walkable" as is Sydney. Sydney in particular because of the botanic gardens and the fantastic views you can have and still be only 5 mins from a bustling City, but feel calm and relaxed. Brisbane has South Bank and Perth has Kings Park if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle. I've zero interest in shopping too, which a lot of people go to City's for.

He said that as banter to the paper which had got stuck into him. He said nobody has heard of Brisbane, and said he would "Rather watch paint dry" than see the local sites.

So KP who has seen zero of Brisbane knows more about it than people who write for travel as a job. Also I've never lived anywhere where nobody complains about their local town.

You haven't even been here so i'm not sure how you can even comment? I've been to Perth and enjoyed it(because I was by the beach) but the 2 aren't even comparable. There's so much more to do in Brisbane.

I don't know about that mate. If you've only visited for a short period of time you wouldn't know. There is plenty to do in Perth and surrounds, as well as visiting gorgeous beaches.

Brisbane has a great name for itself on the world map in places like Canada, London, La , Singapore all places I have spent time in. Can not please everyone though can we.

Quite possibly he does know more than a LP blow in writing up a story that next year will feature Launceston as the in place and Oz city of the year. I as you have no knowledge to what degree he knows the city but can after numerous visits comment as a outside observer.

It is true most in the world have never heard of Brisbane. Not so different as most Aussies have probably not heard of Pretoria.

It matters little that I haven't been to Brisbane. The only mainland city not visited or lived as the difference between Perth and Brisbane is marginal at best. Feel free to disagree. If simple pleasures like being by the beach made Perth a likable city for you well more power to you to. Although being close to beach and river is truly a big plus, hardly a city makes.

im pretty sure most on this site have worked out Foc agenda and take on everything australian. Every post basically he makes he has to correct everyone with his great knowledge on everything he must find on google.

Brisbane has a great name for itself on the world map in places like Canada, London, La , Singapore all places I have spent time in. Can not please everyone though can we.

Brisbane is unknown on the world map in general. Correction don't use google , some of us do have experience and first hand knowledge in what we are talking about. What I don't feel I have a fair grip on I don't enter discussion. Must sound bizarre to you I realize but true none the less.

Its not easy making a good impression on a bloke when his team plays terrible and gets a hard time from the press, which in return made them never leave their hotel room. Boring reflects the individual...

No boring is but that. Some places are dull others are alive. If he terms it as such that is how he finds it. Many would agree. You don't but doesn't make KP's observation/comment any less valid.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else for the lifestyle I require and I've travelled the world. Just had 4 weeks of work. Been diving, snorkelling , surfing , up in the rainforests , seen a few shows at brisbane powerhouse. Eatin out to many times, shows on the belly.Bit peeved that I hadn't done the fishing I wanted too. All this right on my doorstep. Everywhere I go brisbane has always drawn me back. not many places offers me what brisbane does. I like the fact I'm close to places like vanuatu, new cal, indo and all the islands. Nice and cheap too.

On the other hand I do understand why certain people posting on here don't see what I see in places like brisbane and Perth. It's all about the lifestyle some require . I hate being stuffed inside , or living in centre of cities, couldn't think of anything worse.

My local dan murphys imports British ales if that's what tickles your fancy. We purchased alot over Christmas , I offered them to folks, no one interested, poms included.

A lot of out of townie events which have little bearing on Brisbane being hailed this years coolest city. Besides those not into water sports may find your idea of fun all a bit of a yawn.

As for cultural activities it wouldn't be hard to imagine almost any city of similar size in Europe during season devouring the offerings available in Brisbane.

I think it's been and done as top OZ city in LP. Although I would put Adelaide ahead myself as well.

But you haven't been to Brisbane???

So this is based on?

In my time living in Perth and visiting Brisbane I've seen plenty of visitors from all over at all times of the year. I've often thought how great it is to live somewhere that people actually want to come on holiday to, not save up waiting for the next escape.

Brisbane and Perth, due to something you seem to find as a negative, the City centres being small, are both very "walkable" as is Sydney. Sydney in particular because of the botanic gardens and the fantastic views you can have and still be only 5 mins from a bustling City, but feel calm and relaxed. Brisbane has South Bank and Perth has Kings Park if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle. I've zero interest in shopping too, which a lot of people go to City's for.

Don't quite think you get my drift. I refer to the good burgers of Perth, not tourists coming into the city. Most folk living here come very infrequently if at all into the centre. A city should be attractive and a desirable place to visit for locals as well.

Perth/Brisbane take away the rivers have few places of real note that would warrant visiting.

Indeed the whole half dozen streets are very walkable. And then what? Hardly an urban environment to get excited about. Office wallahs and tourists stand out. Hardly a place of excitement, but nice could be a rather fair word to use.

But you haven't been to Brisbane???

So this is based on?

Based on the difference between OZ centres being minimal as I have already said. Based on the many enlightened folk over the years that packed up and left the small town nature of the place. Based on the continued social conservatism of the place. A few quick thoughts that come to mind.

Don't quite think you get my drift. I refer to the good burgers of Perth, not tourists coming into the city. Most folk living here come very infrequently if at all into the centre. A city should be attractive and a desirable place to visit for locals as well.

Perth/Brisbane take away the rivers have few places of real note that would warrant visiting.

Indeed the whole half dozen streets are very walkable. And then what? Hardly an urban environment to get excited about. Office wallahs and tourists stand out. Hardly a place of excitement, but nice could be a rather fair word to use.

I get your drift allright. Every time me and the wife go into the City which in fairness is very infrequent we say we should do this more as there is so much to do that we've not got round to and we've lived here 22 years this year. Same when we go to Freo too, love both places but there is plenty to do where we live and not enough hours in the week.

The City has improved beyond belief over the past few years, especially since they relaxed the licensing laws and smaller bars have opened up. Love the print hall and aviary, especially the rooftop bars. There are loads that I haven't had time to go to.

I've posted before that my son travelled for 3 months or so to Europe from July to September and he's commented on how it's made him realise just how much there is to do in Perth since he's got back.

Wow nobody ever teach you to think for yourself rather than listening to hearsay? I hope you don't read the daily mail you will worry yourself sick

Quite possibly he does know more than a LP blow in writing up a story that next year will feature Launceston as the in place and Oz city of the year. I as you have no knowledge to what degree he knows the city but can after numerous visits comment as a outside observer.

It is true most in the world have never heard of Brisbane. Not so different as most Aussies have probably not heard of Pretoria.

It matters little that I haven't been to Brisbane. The only mainland city not visited or lived as the difference between Perth and Brisbane is marginal at best. Feel free to disagree. If simple pleasures like being by the beach made Perth a likable city for you well more power to you to. Although being close to beach and river is truly a big plus, hardly a city makes.

Nice how you say the difference between Perth and Bris is marginal at best without any knowledge of Brisbane. If someone else did that you would be shooting them down in flames for commenting on something they knew nothing about. It was you that said you don't comment on things you have no experience of wasn't it?

Brisbane is totally different from Perth. Both are great cities though.

I've posted before that my son travelled for 3 months or so to Europe from July to September and he's commented on how it's made him realise just how much there is to do in Perth since he's got back.

I think that says a lot more about him than it does about Europe

I get your drift allright. Every time me and the wife go into the City which in fairness is very infrequent we say we should do this more as there is so much to do that we've not got round to and we've lived here 22 years this year. Same when we go to Freo too, love both places but there is plenty to do where we live and not enough hours in the week.

The City has improved beyond belief over the past few years, especially since they relaxed the licensing laws and smaller bars have opened up. Love the print hall and aviary, especially the rooftop bars. There are loads that I haven't had time to go to.

Quite possibly infrequent is possibly the way to manage it. Stays fresh then and dare I say exciting? Goes to further under line my point though that cities in OZ are hardly must go places for a vibe and excitement apart of odd occasions. In other words not part of mainstream life on a regular basis. Folk are suburban not urban with cities that continue to reflect that.

Much my thoughts. Lot's of Aussie boys miss home though, especially if living at "home" which increasing numbers do even later in life. I've noticed some though if manage to pass a year or so then there's no going back.

Opposite really. He thought a lot of negative thoughts about Perth before he left, due to reading crap about Perth being dullsville and stuff, he started believing it, like a lot of people his age do. He had a ball travelling and is saving up to go again asap. I've listed the places he went before so I won't go through them all again. Didn't miss home one bit I don't think, just made him realise how much there really is to do here, rather than sit back and moan how boring it is.

Archived