Car Seats - where is the best place to buy them from?

aduffield76

Hi all,

we have just arrived in Melbourne (staying in Sandringham) and are close to buying our first Aussie car. However, we need 2 car seats for our kids (ages 7 and 4) but have absolutely no idea where to get them from?

can anyone help with advice on the best car seat stores?

thanks alot

Andy

At that age you are looking at sit on high back boosters so there is less stress in the fitting of them.

I found one of the top rated ones by CREP (Aus standards testing) in the 4 plus age range on sale in Target (this was in a different state but they should sell them). Should have been $100 or so, got it for $50 on special. It fits our car and any other with any of the tether points, so sides and middle. Plus it was way cheaper than the Safe n Sound Hi Liner.

http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php if you are interested in the crash test ratings etc. You can then usually look around online for stockists and compare prices etc before going to try them out.

I wouldnt say most people get them from Target!! Baby Bunting is a good baby shop and they do fitting as well. Go for a good make some of the cheap ones are really flimsy. Britax is here but is called Safe and Sound, have had two really good seats made by them

You live in Perth, just realised AJ. You have different stuff from Melbourne.
I lived in Melbourne for 4 years and my daughter was born there so all my baby stuff was bought in Melbourne stores and judging by the amount of people in the baby shops most people definately dont go to Target.

Guest Guest67761

Baby Bunting. They have an excellent range of products, generally very good sales staff who are helpful and they price match to any other stores (traditional or online) .. I would only look elsewhere if you are not happy with Baby Bunting for some reason.

I have a car seat which should be good for the 4 year old, its yours if you want it. You'll need to check if the specs meet current safety standards, but as I said yours for free if you want to give it a go. I'm in Brighton so just down the road :)

I heard/read somwhere that Aus norms are different than EU norms. Is this true? I want to bring over the ones I have, not buy new ones there, if possible.

Unfortunately unless your seats have passed the Australian safety standards and have the 5 ticks, they will be illegal over here and if you are caught using them, you will be fined. They are quite precious about it so you won't have any choice.

Do you know where can I find the brands/models that passed the safety standards? Is there a site for these? When I bought them, they were on top in ADAC crash test, but who knows, Au may have different tests.

http://crep.com.au

There is also an entire thread sticky on Aus car seats at the top of the transport and shipping section.

UK ones will be illegal. You need a top tether in Aus also.

FWIW, if you are a Maxi Cosi fan in the UK I'd look to avoid them here in Aus. Most of them don't rate as well in Aus standards (they test the same as the EU/UK but also impact from angles not tested in EU) and Maxi Cosi don't stack up so well then. Maxi Cosi and ICG Dorel are the same, just using different names.

Useful info, thanks.

I checked Cybex, it is not on the list. I guess I have to buy new ones. If I get a car rental at the airport, would they have car seats as well? I do not suppose I could find a store so quickly.

All the major car rental places will have car seats, best to book them in advance if you can.

Useful info, thanks.

I checked Cybex, it is not on the list. I guess I have to buy new ones. If I get a car rental at the airport, would they have car seats as well? I do not suppose I could find a store so quickly.

If Cybex were on the list it would be lovely but they are not in Aus yet and can't see it happening for a while. Its a hard market to break in to in Aus.

Their extended rear facing seat is fab. Nearly got one of their Solution car seats for our son when he outgrew his EFR Brtiax but as we knew we were moving to Aus we opted against spending the money to then have to part with it.

Archived