What year will the kids go int....?

cki2011

Hello

The missus and kids are coming out to Perth the first week in Feb....

the he kids will be starting school but we are confused as to what year they will go into.... Does anyone know.... The ages etc are below any help would be appreciated....

Daughter age 9 August b/day now in year 5 in UK primary

son. age.12 September b/day in year 7 in UK Secondary

son. age 15 November b/day in year 10 in UK secondary

Just looking for schools and very confusing....

Thanks

Can't help with the question but wouldn't your daughter be in year 4 and your sons in years 8 and 11 in UK?

Hello

Thanks for the reply.... I know what year they are in the UK and it is what I have put above.... I am asking what year they are going to be in when we move to Perth....

Thanks

My daughter is 2. She would go to full time

school in September 2016 but in oz it would be January 2017. From what I've researched on it, it's pretty similar to uk aside from start dates with regards to term dates etc. We have found the Kindy and nursery arrangements hard to grasp! That's a lot

different to but from reception up seems pretty similar!

My daughter is 2. She would go to full time

school in September 2016 but in oz it would be January 2017. From what I've researched on it, it's pretty similar to uk aside from start dates with regards to term dates etc. We have found the Kindy and nursery arrangements hard to grasp! That's a lot

different to but from reception up seems pretty similar!

We checked online and it was saying 12-13 years would be year 7 primary in WA but secondary in other states which would mean our middle son going back to primary for a year which isn't good after doing a term at secondary already....

And the catchment areas for each school isn't clear....

Looks like I will have to visit a few schools when I get back to Perth next week....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia

this is a good place to start

9 yr old yr 4 in 2014 (assuming turning 10 in Aug 2014)

12 yr old yr 7 (assuming turning 13 Sep 14)

15 yr old yr 10 (assuming turning 16 Nov 14)

The middle child may well have to spend the year in primary but I believe they are gradually moving yr 7 into secondary - 2015 I think but some schools already do it (privates). Ah the joys of moving to a foreign country, goes with the territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia

this is a good place to start

9 yr old yr 4 in 2014 (assuming turning 10 in Aug 2014)

12 yr old yr 7 (assuming turning 13 Sep 14)

15 yr old yr 10 (assuming turning 16 Nov 14)

The middle child may well have to spend the year in primary but I believe they are gradually moving yr 7 into secondary - 2015 I think but some schools already do it (privates). Ah the joys of moving to a foreign country, goes with the territory.

Thanks for that Quoll appreciate it....

Hello

The missus and kids are coming out to Perth the first week in Feb....

the he kids will be starting school but we are confused as to what year they will go into.... Does anyone know.... The ages etc are below any help would be appreciated....

Daughter age 9 August b/day now in year 5 in UK primary

son. age.12 September b/day in year 7 in UK Secondary

son. age 15 November b/day in year 10 in UK secondary

Just looking for schools and very confusing....

Thanks

Hi, I've also been looking at schools in northern perth. I have a 6 year old(7 in May). I looked at a few schools and some said year 2 and another had dates born between and that put him in year 1.... So a tad confused myself as he is in yr 2 at he moment in the UK!

Hi, I've also been looking at schools in northern perth. I have a 6 year old(7 in May). I looked at a few schools and some said year 2 and another had dates born between and that put him in year 1.... So a tad confused myself as he is in yr 2 at he moment in the UK![/

yeh we got told it depends on birth dates and areas.... I think I will just go into the schools next week in the areas we want to live and ask them to get the right info.... Looks like we will have to sort the right schools out then that will determine where we will live....

Hi, I've also been looking at schools in northern perth. I have a 6 year old(7 in May). I looked at a few schools and some said year 2 and another had dates born between and that put him in year 1.... So a tad confused myself as he is in yr 2 at he moment in the UK![/

yeh we got told it depends on birth dates and areas.... I think I will just go into the schools next week in the areas we want to live and ask them to get the right info.... Looks like we will have to sort the right schools out then that will determine where we will live....

Where you live determines the schools! Many of them won't want to talk to you until you've got a place in their priority enrolment area sorted! Where you live is likely to be more governed by availability, price, access to work, style of house, acceptance by real estate agents.

Hi, I've also been looking at schools in northern perth. I have a 6 year old(7 in May). I looked at a few schools and some said year 2 and another had dates born between and that put him in year 1.... So a tad confused myself as he is in yr 2 at he moment in the UK!

Technically he could be the youngest kid in yr 2 and if he is emotionally and socially mature then they would probably put him in yr 2 (cut off is end June) or you could jump up and down and insist on yr 2 (would probably put their backs up and doom him to failure) in your local school. Schools are often very conservative about "young for grade" kids and sometimes a composite class is the answer so they can evaluate his skill level and social preferences.

Where you live determines the schools! Many of them won't want to talk to you until you've got a place in their priority enrolment area sorted! Where you live is likely to be more governed by availability, price, access to work, style of house, acceptance by real estate agents.

In Perth public high schools they WILL NOT take out of boundary students now so it is important to pick the right school.

Butler has 2 primary schools East Butler and Butler. I hear mixed reports about both schools. Not sure about Alkimos, it's all very new up there. New high school Butler College opened 2 years ago I think. Again, too new to really gauge opinion I feel. It isn't my cup of tea up there but everyone likes different things. Sadly when you pick a new suburb the schools are still very much in their infancy.

My 6yr old boy is a may baby too and is going into year2 infeb. In our school they are a stickler for putting the kids in the right age group. There are quite a few may june babies in his year.

My 6yr old boy is a may baby too and is going into year2 infeb. In our school they are a stickler for putting the kids in the right age group. There are quite a few may june babies in his year.

That's the same in all WA government schools, they are extremely reluctant to change years.

If a child turns seven by June 30th ( in the year of entry - February) then that child will be put into year 2.

• 5 months later...

Yep they will start day after 5th birthday and generally schools have new entrant classes. Our youngest will start in July and will probably be in new entrants for the next 2 terms moving up to Year 1 proper in February

Archived