rental property

fitzpm

hi,

looking for some advice,my family and i arrive in launceston on the 29th january,i've been trying to set up a rental from the UK

before we arrive,sight unseen,but none of the realestate agents get back to me,i'm planning on staying in a motel for a few

days when we first arrive but i'm dreading having no where to stay.

i lived in australia before renting with companies such as, the professionals and, the vines realestate{PERTH WA}.

anybody know what my next move might be?

thanks.

fitzpm.

Most people rent a furnished holiday or short term rental for a few weeks to give them chance to find a rental. Unless you have someone to view for you in Oz you will find it difficult. To be honest I wouldn't take a long term let without visiting. Pictures can be old and you need to check the area.

Also if you are shipping furniture it gives more chance for it to arrive

furnished ex short term are not cheap but you have no bills to pay and can usually negotiate a better rate if staying longer.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Hun, unfortunately 99.9% of agents won't rent to you until you have seen the property yourself and to be honest when you see how good agents are at trick photography you probably wouldn't want to.

Try and get yourself a holiday apartment for a couple of weeks when you first arrive to give you chance to look around.

hi guys,

thanks for the reply's.

i agree,renting sight unseen is not ideal but with money constraints i may have no option.

i phoned a couple of real estate agents who will rent sight unseen.

if i go down this road i can only hope that the pictures do the property justice,because as you say some rentals are a sight for sore eyes.

i saw some crackers in perth,still bring a smile to my face,

also remember waiting months for refund of my bond,

ah!!!!!! those were the days....

Try contacting Harcourts in East Launceston - Kate Woods, Property Consultant comes highly recommended by a fabulous patient of mine who recently moved back to Launceston, however I believe she's on Mat Leave at the moment.

We're going to use Kate when we move down to Launceston in June/July as I've found reliable and committed Estate Agents are sometimes hard to come-by so best to go with recommendations.....

Good Luck with your move

Edited by blossom
Removal of phone number as per forum rules

Hi Hun, unfortunately 99.9% of agents won't rent to you until you have seen the property yourself and to be honest when you see how good agents are at trick photography you probably wouldn't want to.

Try and get yourself a holiday apartment for a couple of weeks when you first arrive to give you chance to look around.

VERY good advice!!

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

looking for some advice,my family and i arrive in launceston on the 29th january,i've been trying to set up a rental from the UK

before we arrive.

I don't fancy your chances. The rental market is competitive - why would agents bother to take on an unknown, when they have plenty of people to choose from on their doorstep? Book a holiday apartment for a month or so instead. You'll be better off in a fully-equipped apartment until your container arrives, anyway.

You would be better booking into a motel/hotel for a few weeks, which will give you time to look around

Im in Launceston, and there are areas, which a complete no-go and some pretty grotty rentals

You really need to be here, and look around first, and ask around as well, once you get here, and find the areas to really avoid

The majority of agents will not be very honest, if you ask them about areas, and if theres somewhere they are really struggling to rent, they will tell you allsorts to get the place rented out to you.I can tell you that from first hand experience.

I noticed the other day, that Bushbys are now doing furnished short term lets and theres a few places on thier website.They seem to rent very quickly,as there is a high turnaround of Drs/hospital staff who rent out short term, so the competition will be fierce, but once you are here, you are in a far better position to be in the running.

There are a few motels that are going to be OK, short term.Dont expect anything flash, but just a basic bed, which will at least be a base for you, while you look for somewhere else.