Teaching in australia

bagger71

Hi

Can anyone help please!!!

My wife has been teaching for 5 years now and is a Director at her school (Extended senior leader). This is were the problems start she went down the GTP route and we have now found out from AITSL that this is now valid for migration purposes. She is completing a PG Cert however this is post service as a teacher, is this accepted? I on the other hand do not qualify for enough points based on the 189 visa as I only have 55 points. I am a qualified electrician but have not been working in this sector over the past 5 years.

I dont want to go down the route of paying for a company as it is very costly.

Cheers John.:confused:

hi , my wife has just qualified as a teacher and we are looking at the 189 visa also , she was not able to take any points from the work exp option so she has done an IELTS and received the top mark giving us 65 points , could you do the same ?

Hi David85

I get 15 points for my age, 10 points for IELTS, 10 points for my experience (I have not been working as an electrician for the past 5 years), 10 points for my qualifications and 5 points for partner skills giving us 50 points - 10 points short.

We have to use my skills as they will not accept the GTP.

Cheers John

Hi David85

I get 15 points for my age, 10 points for IELTS, 10 points for my experience (I have not been working as an electrician for the past 5 years), 10 points for my qualifications and 5 points for partner skills giving us 50 points - 10 points short.

We have to use my skills as they will not accept the GTP.

Cheers John

Best of luck with your next IELTS.

It is worth 20 for me. I booked it two days before the test. Read the advice on here and did the free practice tests. Job done. What did you score in the general IELTS? (If you have done it).

Reading and writing are the key ones to practice. Cannot recommend some of the tips on here enough!!!!

This is wrong - both levels of IELTS General and academic will give 20 points if get 8's in each section.

I thought that was the case too but I also think it is supposed to be a little easier to get 20 from the academic (I think you have to get more less to get the same score as general if that makes sense?).

We were in a similar position did IELTS general scored 8s and 9s got 20 points and went for state sponsorship .IELTS is not that hard it's just lots of practise or is it practice ? !! They're the type of things you need to know !! We are in WA and they love British Teachers here, it's a fantastic place to teach.

Hi

Can anyone help please!!!

My wife has been teaching for 5 years now and is a Director at her school (Extended senior leader). This is were the problems start she went down the GTP route and we have now found out from AITSL that this is now valid for migration purposes. She is completing a PG Cert however this is post service as a teacher, is this accepted? I on the other hand do not qualify for enough points based on the 189 visa as I only have 55 points. I am a qualified electrician but have not been working in this sector over the past 5 years.

I dont want to go down the route of paying for a company as it is very costly.

Cheers John.:confused:

Four years of tertiary education is the minimum. At least one of these years must be an initial teaching qualification studied at university. The GTP is not accepted here. A PGCE is though as it is studied through a university and fulfills the theory requirements.

So in short, a three Bachelor together with a one year PGCE is fine, a four year Bachelor of Education is also acceptable. If a three year Bachelor of Education is held, then one more year of study is required such as a Masters or grad certificate in special needs etc.

Unfortunately the GTP is not accepted and none of the teaching registration boards in Australia will register a teacher who only has the GTP.

One viable option for your wife to be able to teach here (if you were to emigrate on your qualifications and not hers) would be for her to enroll in a one year graduate diploma of teaching at an Australian University. Yes, it would be a pain to have to do it, but it would qualify her to teach here and together with her five years experience as teacher it would put her in a better postion to obtain a job.

Archived